PDA

View Full Version : Whislting under full throttle

sambomonkee
07-03-12, 04:57 PM
My 180, may have always done this, but I have noticed that at full throttle - 3/4 and lower, you hear nothing (doesn't matter what gear or revs), it whistles, pretty much sounds like a masoohhive turbo under the bonnet, now I'm pretty sure it hasn't got a super charger :), so guessing its a induction leak somewhere. Performance is as good as always though.

Anybody had any "turbo" whistling sound on their 180, and where should I start to look ?

talkingcars
07-03-12, 05:38 PM
What induction are you running?

sambomonkee
07-03-12, 05:39 PM
Yep should have said, stock standard engine and induction.

MG6Turbo
07-03-12, 05:43 PM
Ive had this on a mk1 zs 180 before and it seemed to be an exhaust noise.

This was after the owner fitted an new centre section.

G

sambomonkee
07-03-12, 05:48 PM
Ah, well as you know I have a new middle section, and I did notice there was water dripping from the the join from front to middle, also I have put the standard back box on, although I made sure that was not blowing, Maybe there is tiny gap that is causing it. This is most likely since I don't think the noise was there before I replaced the backbox.

Better get back under the car and check the joins and gaskets again, cheers George.

EDIT: Or just leave it and pretend I have a super charger :lol:

DaMoZ-MG
07-03-12, 07:56 PM
that dose sound like its the new centewr silencer, the whisling is usualy corsed by a couple of mig welding wire poking inside the pipe from the manufacturing, when the exhaust gesses pass they vibrate causing a whistle

peterzs
07-03-12, 08:01 PM
Get a turbo badge stuck on the back and get a few guessing!!!!

zsserbia
08-03-12, 12:20 AM
Had this whistle very much alike a blow off valve on my fiesta td after the cat was gutted, only at higher revs as you say, must be some kind of a turbulence was causing it. Never caused any problems though.

Fred68
08-03-12, 07:00 AM
that dose sound like its the new centewr silencer, the whisling is usualy corsed by a couple of mig welding wire poking inside the pipe from the manufacturing, when the exhaust gesses pass they vibrate causing a whistle

Agreed ;) This can happen especially if a pattern part is used as they are way cheaper made than the factory pipes and small in bore too ;)

starfire039
09-03-12, 02:20 PM
I had this on my 120, it vanished when I had a new exhaust put on.