PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Recommendations

KirkJames
15-03-12, 08:27 AM
What clutch can you guys recommend for the 180. Budget of £200 but no more than that. I have seen a couple for around the 130 mark but are they worth getting?

stamford
15-03-12, 09:40 AM
Found this (http://www.audicarpartsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2304231?utm_source=go ogle&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Make-Model-Product) the other day, Valeo so should be quality for less than £140.

KirkJames
15-03-12, 01:23 PM
Will that sounds reasonable. I wonder how much it would cost to put in? Is a shame really as I don't really know anyone close by who's done one before otherwise I would love to get stuck into it.
Thanks for the info bud. :-)

stamford
15-03-12, 03:33 PM
Not cheap as paying by the hour. I'm doing my own to save money but I know I will regret it as I don't have Edd China handy!

James Raby
15-03-12, 07:58 PM
I don't have Edd China handy!

:clap:

andy-81
16-03-12, 12:06 PM
its not that difficult to do clutch as long as you have a second pair of hands and you need to see if you get a alignment tool with your kit, heres how to do it if you decide to tackle it yourself:

take both wheels off
undo hub nuts at the end of the drive shafts these should be 30-34 mm
undo track rod ends and bottom ball joints
push wish bone down to take the ball joint out of the hub
push track rod up to move it out of the way
take centre nut off and pull hub toward you to get the drive shaft out (both sides)
be carefull not to get gear oil on you (it stinks)
pull drive shafts from gearbox (not sure if these are bolted in)
with drive shafts away you should have more room th see what your doing
dis-connect battery
undo terminals from starter motor then take starter off
now your ready to undo the linkage from the box (these are pressure fitted caps on a ball i think)
take clutch cable off the gearbox
then undo all the gearbox bolts
get a second pair of hands
wriggle the gear box free and move it away from the car
you should now see the clutch basket and plate on the side of the engine
undo the clutch basket from the flywheel
get your new clutch and basket and alignment tool (clean the pressure plate the shimy part of the basket use brake cleaner or purple spirit)
put allignment tool into the hole in the clutch plate then put it into the middle of the flywheel
leave it there while you fasten the basket back over the clutch plate
now you need the gearbox
on the shaft inside the box you will see the release bearing and a fork looking thing going to it take out the release bearing and put the new one in (same way you took the old one off
now the gearbox is ready to go back on
remove the alignment tool from the clutch
jiggle the gearbox back on (be careful on to upset the release bearing in the box)
bolt gearbox back on
push linkage back on
bolt starter motor back on
put clutch cable back in position
stick drive shafts back in to the box
look on the side of the gearbox, near the skinny you should see a plug (like a sump plug)
undo this and top the gear oil up (put in till it starts coming back out theres no oil level on there
get in the car and check that the clutch pedal goes down and up (if not and its stuck either way you have upset the selector inside the box, the part where the release bearing is)
if it goes up and down nice its fine
put driveshafts back in to the hub
put centre nut back on nice and tight
put bottom ball joint back in to the bottom of hub
put track rod ends back in to the top of the hub
clean any oil you have got on the brake discs
put wheels back on
go make a cup of tea you deserved it

Nobrainer
16-03-12, 12:33 PM
Found this (http://www.audicarpartsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2304231?utm_source=go ogle&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Make-Model-Product) the other day, Valeo so should be quality for less than £140.

Whats the deal with that web site? They've come up as cheapest for other stuff I was looking at but I didn't like their website their sites (http://www.audicarpartsuk.co.uk/links.php)
Seemed a bit dodgy to me but then I'm paranoid