PDA

View Full Version : The track car livery......ADVICE

Smokey
16-03-12, 11:55 AM
Well last night I ordered the new livery from 'dazzer' who does the site stickers.

Here is what I have ordered and what it should roughly look like:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/logos-1.jpg

I have also started by spray painting the wing mirrors, still got the bonnet and boot to go but its raining today!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/09499525.jpg

Will most definately be done before the next meet :D

Nobrainer
16-03-12, 12:00 PM
Wow. Thats pretty nice

peterzs
16-03-12, 12:21 PM
Now I know why you are into Forza, practice for the site stickers!!!

Will look good.

:wave::wave::wave:

vanishing days
16-03-12, 12:24 PM
looks ace dude

stamford
16-03-12, 12:26 PM
That's going to look awesome!

Smokey
16-03-12, 05:23 PM
Well the rain halted play today except for the last hour where the ground was dry so I swapped over the mirrors (I had painted a spare set) :)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/012ca0d9.jpg

BUCKYDEVIL
16-03-12, 07:53 PM
Nice work as usual mate, proud to see my name there..
Might be worthwhile Reposting to new members that they can have a name decal with the
Input of a donation..

Smokey
16-03-12, 08:02 PM
Will do once the livery is on mate. All money will be going in a kitty for repairs/maintenance.

Currently around £40 is available but still need to sort gear stick! I'm funding the livery.

Smokey
24-03-12, 08:40 PM
Dazzer has let me know tat the livery is comlete so should be with me next week. Conveniently, I am on holiday so apart from fitting the carPC into the mk2, I will be fitting the new livery!!

Just need to sort the gear stick wobble and get the knocking suspension fixed then it will be ready again for May!!

Steve mead
24-03-12, 08:45 PM
Looking good, shame knockhill is so far away.

Smokey
24-03-12, 08:51 PM
It will be coming to brands this year and one other track down south!

Available to drive or be driven in to all subscribed members :):)

Steve mead
24-03-12, 08:53 PM
Well I would be interested in brands as it was my local track and had some good success in fornula ford in the mid 90s, that makes me well old!!

Smokey
24-03-12, 09:02 PM
Would be great to see you behind the wheel mate, I am looking at Summer/Autumn.

Steve mead
24-03-12, 09:07 PM
That would be great, planning on giving mine a few laps at the end of april. Nothing like paddock dropping away from you as you hit the hump on the apex!! Best I get subscribed.

Nobrainer
24-03-12, 09:12 PM
It will be coming to brands this year and one other track down south!

Available to drive or be driven in to all subscribed members :):)

Wohoo! Brands would be great but it's expensive. Been planning to take mine down there at some point. No racing of course. Thats strictly forbidden

:sneaky:

Steve mead
24-03-12, 09:18 PM
I had a great day there just after they changed the track at the bottonm of druids, Couldnt afford to go testing so took my y reg focus. Great way to learn the new bit before racing that weekend. Had a guy in a porche trying to get past me into paddock then clearways. When we stopped he came up and asked what on earth gets you round those corners so quick, to which I replyed I dont know this is my mums car. The look on his face wa sto die for, although later one of the instructors told him I was aracer!! Always makes me laugh thinking about it.

Smokey
24-03-12, 09:55 PM
Hahaha, that is absolute quality!! You'll be able to show us a thing or two in the site track Zed then!!

Steve mead
24-03-12, 09:59 PM
I'm an old git now, not far off my saga brochure. But looking forward to it, the track day (not the brochure)

Smokey
24-03-12, 10:09 PM
I don't know...don't you get a free pen with your Saga sign up?

Steve mead
24-03-12, 10:14 PM
I think that comes from micheal parkinson!!

Steve mead
24-03-12, 10:16 PM
I think they offer cheaper insurance!!! But will stick with churchill as they class me as an older sensible driver!!! yeah ok.

Smokey
24-03-12, 10:16 PM
Wohoo! Brands would be great but it's expensive

The point of the site track car is it means you dont need to risk your own car round the track and the cost is split between a few drivers so it gives a few people an opportunity to experience track days without too much expense.

Smokey
24-03-12, 10:18 PM
I think they offer cheaper insurance!!! But will stick with churchill as they class me as an older sensible driver!!! yeah ok.

We are all 'sensible' drivers where insurance is concerned lol!

Hope you go a nodding dog with that policy....oooooh, yes!

Steve mead
24-03-12, 10:19 PM
he would have a headache with all the bumps.

Smokey
24-03-12, 10:28 PM
or whiplash!

Nobrainer
25-03-12, 05:53 AM
The point of the site track car is it means you dont need to risk your own car round the track and the cost is split between a few drivers so it gives a few people an opportunity to experience track days without too much expense.

But thats why I bought it!

Smokey
25-03-12, 09:35 AM
Not everyone's in the same boat though! I wouldn't put my mk2 180 on the track on a regular basis, too rare to lose another one!

Maxxed_Ross
25-03-12, 11:21 AM
it's a grat laugh but it can and does go so badly wrong when you least expect it.

I had my RB320 out at Knockhill last year and had a total blast with it, learned a load about the car even after owning it for nearly 3 years and want to do it again

but near the end I got a bit over confident and through my realative in-experiance with 4 wheel drive I spun it in the dip leading up to the chicane. If I had known what I was doing I could have caught it but I didn't - so I went sideways through the edge of the gravel trap and ended up in the middle of the chicane going backwards.

I came off the track, drove it into the carpark and left it there

Smokey
25-03-12, 11:36 AM
Which is why I will be ecstatic if I get a years worth from this car.

Your car is massively more expensive than any ZS so I can understand that! My mk2 only cost £1600 and I still wouldn't risk it on a regular basis!

Sounds scary though!

Nobrainer
25-03-12, 12:09 PM
I don't want to risk my car but if I wasn't going to mess about on the track and make full use of it I'd have bought something that was a bit cheaper to run and wasn't track capable. I also use my car to get to work so when it does have problems (like setting fire to the calipers) I just hope they're easily sortable. I'd hope you get more than a years worth out of the track car! It's not like it's being raced every weekend. Do you know how much surplus your getting from each track day? as £50 seems quite cheap when you take into account tyres, pads, petrol, insurance and repairs.

Smokey
25-03-12, 04:20 PM
It is quite cheap and I do make a tiny amount from it to keep for repairs/replacements etc but if required, I will up the price a fraction once I can guage whats required. I also plan to take donations for members names on the car and also passenger rides so hopefully it will balance out. It's not a money making exercise but I would like the ends to meet :)

Maxxed_Ross
25-03-12, 04:42 PM
as long as you don't break anything fuel will be the biggest cost. Brakes and tyres should last a few outings

Maxfly
25-03-12, 04:50 PM
Love the livery, looks like it will be tremendous:) I certainly hope it does you longer than a year after the amount of time and effort you have and still are putting in with it! Hope to manage a shotty myself at some point hehe:D

Smokey
25-03-12, 04:55 PM
Well Inverness isn't too far :)

And I only mention a year as thats the minimum I'd be satisfied with....would love it to go on for years :D

Maxfly
25-03-12, 06:03 PM
Well Inverness isn't too far :)

And I only mention a year as thats the minimum I'd be satisfied with....would love it to go on for years :D

Absolutely, just getting time and days off to match in with all the renovations in the hoose and claire and the wee fella lol. You planning going to the tuning show at knockhill this year....when is it again anyways lol:D
Just as I will probably only get the chance once this year to get down to summat and was thinking the show at KH would be a good one but if that doesnt work then will get down for one of the track outings:D

Smokey
25-03-12, 06:06 PM
Not sure when it is either lol. Sometimes struggle with my shifts too, hence there is no track day in April :(

Maxfly
25-03-12, 06:11 PM
Not sure when it is either lol. Sometimes struggle with my shifts too, hence there is no track day in April :(

Had a look at KH's site and no mention of it, was august in 2010. Though tbh the track car outings are damnt good value for money and am leaning towards that as if you did take it to the tuning show i think it would end up not being as good a deal??
Have to say would be tempted to take mine out when I wasnt in the track car too lol:D

Aye shifts have many advantages but can sometimes be a bit of a ******:)

Smokey
25-03-12, 06:28 PM
The actual KH track days are not great value tbh. The open pit days are much better for our purposes.

Smokey
26-03-12, 11:05 AM
Well the livery arrived today and I started putting it together. I appear to have ordered the hot wheels logo slightly too big so can't fit it to the rear door but then that will have other vinyls on it.

I stood back to take a photo and is it just me or is the MG logo really squint? I thought it was slightly skewed when I got it, but on the car it looks worse IMO?

Opinions so far?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/74865064.jpg

Maxxed_Ross
26-03-12, 11:23 AM
yeah it looks like it's not quite tall enough

zsserbia
26-03-12, 11:53 AM
Yep, it's squint a bit too much to the left (MG letters are not 90 degrees, which I think they should be - not the rotation but the skew of the letters)

Nobrainer
26-03-12, 12:10 PM
It looks a bit long and flat to me, comparing to other images on google but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. How did you ask for it? Overall it looks good though. How much was it as I fancy making mine stand out a little (or a lot!)

ZS
26-03-12, 12:11 PM
Yep, it's squint a bit too much to the left (MG letters are not 90 degrees, which I think they should be - not the rotation but the skew of the letters)

I think that decal is meant to be at an angle... a bit like this:

http://www.btccpages.com/teams/mgzs.GIF

KevG
26-03-12, 12:24 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/74865064.jpg

Looks all very busy on the front door.

Smokey
26-03-12, 12:25 PM
Yeah Kev I'm not 100% happy with it tbh.

grimmy
26-03-12, 12:34 PM
Xpower logo would have been better on the rear door above the skewhiff mg logo imo

peterzs
26-03-12, 01:44 PM
I like it, its a one off so why worry if it doesnt look quite like any others.

You have more room to add other stickers on the back door if you leave it like it is.

Dont think there is a right or wrong look, just how many stickers you wont to put on.

Every one is going to have their own idea for whats best, its your baby Smokey, so go with what you want.

:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

zsserbia
26-03-12, 01:48 PM
I think that decal is meant to be at an angle... a bit like this:

http://www.btccpages.com/teams/mgzs.GIF

Yeap, I think you're right about this.

The one on the windscreen is different, it is meant to be horizontal, hence the MG letters aren't squint.

Smokey
26-03-12, 02:03 PM
No, its meant to be horizontal, like this....

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/605/medium/12003_btcc_1.jpg

zsserbia
26-03-12, 02:25 PM
No, its meant to be horizontal, like this....

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/605/medium/12003_btcc_1.jpg

Here's what I think had happened:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee485/zsserbia/74865064-1.jpg

Instead of adding more of a horizontal line to the left to cover the length of the car, the guy who printed this had stretched the entire decal horizontally...

Nobrainer
26-03-12, 02:29 PM
I think your right

Maxxed_Ross
26-03-12, 02:30 PM
yup that looks exactly like what he has done

should be easy fixed then

Smokey
26-03-12, 02:58 PM
Yes it is. I have messaged him to see about rectifying it. I think because I gave him dimensions, he stuck rigidly to them without taking aspect ratio in to account. There are a few logos the same like xpower.

I have faith he will get it matching next time as he has been absolutely brilliant this far.

I have removed the xpower and MG logos for now and am 3/4 of the way through painting the bonnet. Here's a teaser...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/5a39bd90.jpg

zsserbia
26-03-12, 04:08 PM
I'm sure everything will be just fine, can't wait to see the end result, nice work!

Smokey
26-03-12, 08:00 PM
Have liased with Dazzer and he is sorting the issues out for me. As I said before, he has been brilliant through the whole process so I am confident all will be well very soon :)