PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of all electrical power?

thestribb
20-03-12, 09:52 PM
Hi gang,

Getting in the car tonight on the way back from work, and as I turned the key into position 2, the radio, lights, etc all lit up for a split second then just went off completely, just like someone had pulled the plug on the car. The clock went off, locks didn't engage, no lights to the dash, literally everything had gone. I was baffled so checked the battery to make sure it was all connected, and it's secured down pretty tightly, gave the positive terminal connector a little wiggle and used my technical troubleshooting test (hitting it), tried the key to lock and unlock the doors and hey presto it worked fine, car started no problem, all lights ok, clock had reset to 0:00 but everything seemed ok. It was the same kind of reaction you'd have indoors from a power cut or a tripped fuse, but my question is, if a fuse had gone, surely it wouldn't have sorted itself? I can't see the positive connector being at fault as it's secured down pretty well. I'm just a bit worried to drive her long distances at the moment just in case she suddenly turns off on a main road and I lose power steering, brakes, lights etc. I can't have another crash!

Can any anyone shed any light on this at all? Car is a MK2 110 hatch 1.6 petrol.

Thanks a lot :)

zsserbia
20-03-12, 10:06 PM
I'd check if the leads are securely fastened to the terminal connectors, as well earth points. Don't worry about cutout while driving the car because once it started you can remove the battery and everything would still run because alternator supports it. On the other hand, deal with this asap because if the connection is loose the battery wouldn't take sufficient charge and eventually may become flat...

thestribb
20-03-12, 10:16 PM
Yeah I'll check the terminals in the morning, sure they're on tight though. Well that's good to hear, thanks!

Enright
21-03-12, 07:44 AM
It might also be worth popping the lid off the fusebox, because the main positive feed goes straight from the battery through a 150A fuse in there. If any of the bolts that hold that in have come loose it would have the same effect as a loose battery terminal.