PDA

View Full Version : needing some help

grimmy
23-03-12, 09:36 PM
Is anyone close to me able to bleed my brakes?changed the caliper today but unable to bleed them myself as I don't really know how to anymore.

Smokey
23-03-12, 09:50 PM
It would be blind leading the blind from me mate otherwise I would!

BUCKYDEVIL
23-03-12, 11:10 PM
Is anyone close to me able to bleed my brakes?changed the caliper today but unable to bleed them myself as I don't really know how to anymore.

Ritchie gave me a lesson when he done mine with me,
That was a while ago though so wouldnt be too confident,
will still come and help if needed.

grimmy
23-03-12, 11:20 PM
Ritchie gave me a lesson when he done mine with me,
That was a while ago though so wouldnt be too confident,
will still come and help if needed.

Any help is appreciated when you free mate?

Ritchy
23-03-12, 11:28 PM
if your really stuck give me a text tomorrow, im working in the morning unfortunatly

grimmy
23-03-12, 11:32 PM
if your really stuck give me a text tomorrow, im working in the morning unfortunatly

Not got your number ritchy maybe you could talk me through it and jog my old memory I remember undoing the bleed screw and pumping the pedal three or four times and repeating until the air is purged am I on the right lines?

BUCKYDEVIL
23-03-12, 11:39 PM
Can help out on Sunday mate, not bothered with the old firm game,,
it's gonna be a riot in the pubs so Im keeping away from them.
late afternoon sound good ?

grimmy
23-03-12, 11:49 PM
Sounds fine to me just send a wee text when you are ready mate. The brakes arent that bad so shouldn't really be a hassle the pedal is just a wee but spongy so should bleed pretty easily.just need to remember what I am doing lol.

Dav
24-03-12, 05:46 AM
Pump it until clean fluid comes out, then refill the fluid reservoir. Then move to the opposite wheel. I believe there is an order in which do them also...

Nobrainer
24-03-12, 06:55 AM
FL, RR, FR and RL I think. Or was it FR, RL, FL and RR?
Unless you're done it recently get a can of decent fluid and change the lot while your at it.

stamford
24-03-12, 07:27 AM
Before bleeding can I ask what you are using to remove the fluid? A cheap non-return valve type unit is pretty much foolproof and a one man job. It allows you to pump the pedal, with bleed nipple open, and after a few goes check on the fluid through the clear pipe and look for solid fluid travel which is a good sign. If bubbles can be seen in the pipe then keep pumping, slow progression not fast. Always check the reservoir is topped up during this. Once done close nipple off and check pedal for firmness. Repeat as per book for sequence front to back etc.

I use both non-return valve type and the pressure type as some cars need a pressure system to get the fluid to flow, especially clutch systems.

If I was there I would do it for you.

S13AVO
24-03-12, 09:27 AM
Fill the brake fluid reservoir full and leave the top off, slightly undo the bleed nipple, put a pipe on the end and into a clean jar or bottle (can use again if needs be), slowly depress the brake pedal about 4 times, tighten bleed nipple, check brake fluid reservoir for levels and check, repeat if need to until brake pedal feels correct, hope this helps

Ritchy
24-03-12, 11:32 AM
Sorry been sleeping/working lol
Start at the corner you've replaced first, get someone to sit in the car, they shall be "the pumper" lol, to the resevior up to the maximum with new clean fluid. Go to the caliper, put the spanner on and then put the pipe on, put the other end into a clear bottlee, crack the nipple, about half turn should be suffiecient and gett the pumper to comense pumping. Pump slowly about 3 seconds each depress, if you are changing all the systems fluid keep punping tll all the fluid in the resevior is clear, dont let the level fall below minimum though during this as you could end up with air in the system which is the last thing you want, id expect at least 20 pumps per corner as a minum to ensure all the fluids been renewed.
Once fluids clean get the pumper to hold thier foot to the floor and tighten off the bleed nipple, then get them to start the car and press the pedal make sure it isnt leaking.

Ritchy
24-03-12, 11:32 AM
Sorry been sleeping/working lol
Start at the corner you've replaced first, get someone to sit in the car, they shall be "the pumper" lol, to the resevior up to the maximum with new clean fluid. Go to the caliper, put the spanner on and then put the pipe on, put the other end into a clear bottlee, crack the nipple, about half turn should be suffiecient and gett the pumper to comense pumping. Pump slowly about 3 seconds each depress, if you are changing all the systems fluid keep punping tll all the fluid in the resevior is clear, dont let the level fall below minimum though during this as you could end up with air in the system which is the last thing you want, id expect at least 20 pumps per corner as a minum to ensure all the fluids been renewed.
Once fluids clean get the pumper to hold thier foot to the floor and tighten off the bleed nipple, then get them to start the car and press the pedal make sure it isnt leaking.

grimmy
24-03-12, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your help everyone will just bleed the system for the moment and will change the fluid at a later date just to get me mobile again.going to have a go tomorrow,Marcus is coming over to be my "pumper"lol.so do I actually need to do all four or can I get away with the one I replaced.?

Ritchy
24-03-12, 11:51 AM
if its not gone empty then you should just need to do one

tip for the future if your replacing a caliper, if you hold the pedal down with a bar it means the resevior cant empty itself,

grimmy
24-03-12, 12:33 PM
Cheers ritchy that is very handy to know

Maxfly
24-03-12, 02:30 PM
Douse your nipples in WD-40 before Marcus comes over to pump ya. Depending on when they were last done bleed nipples can quite happily seize and then round off which will make the task all the more of a pita:)

KevG
24-03-12, 07:09 PM
Douse your nipples in WD-40 before Marcus comes over to pump ya. Depending on when they were last done bleed nipples can quite happily seize and then round off which will make the task all the more of a pita:)

.....and then shear off!!

I'm passing by tomorrow but going up to Knockhill with a full car, so wont be able to help. Sorry.

grimmy
24-03-12, 07:16 PM
.....and then shear off!!

I'm passing by tomorrow but going up to Knockhill with a full car, so wont be able to help. Sorry.
Nae worries Kev if i get away with only doing the one i swapped it will be fine as the nipple had been slackened before i got so it wont be a problem on that caliper.
You taking the zed round?

KevG
24-03-12, 07:22 PM
Nae worries Kev if i get away with only doing the one i swapped it will be fine as the nipple had been slackened before i got so it wont be a problem on that caliper.
You taking the zed round?

Yeah mate as long as you clamped the hose during disassembly/reassembly, then you wont have to much air in the system.

No, am not taking the Zed round not this time..

grimmy
24-03-12, 07:27 PM
I think it will be fine.the pedal doesn't feel that bad so hopefull not to much air in there.