PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum to disc conversion

thestribb
26-03-12, 05:25 PM
As the title suggests, I want to swap my current rear drums on my MK2 110 for a set of rear discs I have from my old MK1. Question is, how easy is this to do? Bearing in mind I will have all necessary parts from the previous ZS, I'm hoping it's just a simple swap over, brake lines and bleed. Surely this must have been done before, and if so, how easy is it for a relative novice? I don't fancy balls'ing up my brakes.

ZS
26-03-12, 05:45 PM
I looked into this with my Diesel going on 7 years ago...

The long and the short of it is... Its not worth it. Don't do it.

Basically you don't have all the bits ;) you need to change the brake balance, hubs, disks, brake lines, calipers, etc etc....

Basically its not worth it... ;)

big_wasa
26-03-12, 05:47 PM
The fronts do most of the work.

ZS
26-03-12, 05:54 PM
The fronts do most of the work.

Plus apparently drums are better for handbrakes...

thestribb
26-03-12, 06:08 PM
Fair enough, point taken, I just think the drums looked a bit ugly on the back, and when I'm hoping to upgrade to straights soon thought it might be worth the changeover. Purpose over vanity for now I think. Thanks guys!

P.S Anyone want to buy a good set of rear discs? :-p

petet16
26-03-12, 06:10 PM
As the other guys have said, don't bother, it's not worth the effort.

I'm running Brembo 4 pot calipers on the front and drums on the rear, they all work just fine together, for the amount of braking done by the rear wheels compared to the fronts drums are good enough.

And as also said above the hand brake is much more reliable with drums.

dida4g
27-03-12, 06:59 PM
If you have the complete car as a donor then you could swap the complete rear trailing arms, cables and brake lines, however I wouldn't bother unless I wanted a 5 stud conversion from a teg type r.