PDA

View Full Version : zt hgf

vanishing days
02-04-12, 08:04 AM
Just driven my zt to work before I set of thought I'd check the l evels ool fine but coolant cap has a bit of mayo its a v6 auto car I bought it from a garage if the HGf has gone it will be going straight back. How common is HGf on a v6?

stamford
02-04-12, 08:07 AM
Hope it is just short journeys showing this. However I have heard that HGF on ZTs are not uncommon these days, someone more knowledgable will be along to explain more............

Ritchy
02-04-12, 08:23 AM
could indeed be the head gasket if it is in the coolant cap, although i believe the Auto runs an oil cooler not exactly sure if thats linked in with the coolant system or not but wouldnt be the first time id seen an autos oil coooler leaking, in which case kind of urgent to get looked at or the box is going to be wrecked pretty soon.
if youve not long bought it take it back see what they say, likely if it is then youll get your money back as its a big job to do not just as simple as the k series to overhaul the head gaskets
also is your cooling fan kicking in, quite common for them to fail on the ZT, there is the upgraded "kenlowe" cooling fan though, if it isnt then could be the engines been overheated and indeed melted the gaskets

peterzs
02-04-12, 08:25 AM
Wonder if its worth doing a sniff test just to make sure.

Sooner rather than later, think I would drop the garage a letter or email, so you have a paper trail soon as you have recognised the problem.

Dont know what cover you have, but the garage must meet their obligations in selling you a car "fit for use".

Get it flagged up with them as they are the one that must sort it in the first place.

Hope its nothing.

Might pay you to pm Flying Banana he has a 1.8T plus a big monster. He might have more idea on ZT's.

:wave:

vanishing days
02-04-12, 08:35 AM
Cheers guys I haven't noticed it getting hot only got it on Friday just taking it to the garage I got it from

Ritchy
02-04-12, 08:40 AM
the other thing you can do, bear in mind this only tells you if its leaking combustion gas into the coolant system, is to let it warm up a bit(not too much on a ZT) then open the coolant cap and stick an MOT 4 gas meter into the bottle for it to analyse the gases, an HC content is a good indicator that there is combustion gases leaking in

RalphG
02-04-12, 08:50 AM
HGF is extremely rare in KV6 engines. They only tend to get it through people not addressing a leaking thermostat housing for quite some time.

starfire039
02-04-12, 09:11 AM
Like Stamford says, it could just be short journeys that caused it. Good luck.

MG6Turbo
02-04-12, 09:24 AM
The kv6 in the 75 and zt isnt the most reliable. The auto zt is the worse im afraid to say.

For some reason, ive seen zts and 75s do headgaskets and have crank bearings fail.

I agree to some extent, that cooling issues stem from the thermostat and cooling fans.

However, Im now beginning to believe that its got something to do with the aerodynamics of the engine bay. I.e it gets too hot under there and it cant dispell heat quickly.

Mercedes had this issue with a bullitt proof engine they fitted to a car, which then got put into another model of car. In one car it lasted and didnt give any grief, but in another the engine kept failing. Turned out to be the tightness of the engine bay not allowing it to expend heat.

The zs doesnt have any of these problems with the KV6. So it must be the reason for failure in the zt.

G

vanishing days
02-04-12, 10:32 AM
Just got the phone call the head gasket has gone the garage has offered me my money back and said I can hold on to the courtesy car till Thursday afternoon.

Disappointed as the zt was nice had all the toys sat nav, xenons, heated seats and auto windscreen wipers

stamford
02-04-12, 10:35 AM
At least they have done the decent thing.

vanishing days
02-04-12, 10:39 AM
Yeah they are a good garage its owned by amutual friend

peterzs
02-04-12, 12:16 PM
Shame, least they have done the decent thing.

Back to the search for an auto???

vanishing days
02-04-12, 12:59 PM
Yeah unfortunately

Alan.F
02-04-12, 02:30 PM
Yeah unfortunately

why not let them get it fixed and you will get a warranty with it

big_wasa
02-04-12, 03:41 PM
I doubt they will want to plough that sort of cash into it.

vanishing days
02-04-12, 03:58 PM
There not willing to do the work the car was only £1200

fastmike
02-04-12, 05:02 PM
Your lucky it happened so soon after buying it ....... Any chance you could negotiate a refund of enough to get the HGs done?
I,m thinking you might want to keep it ?

peterzs
02-04-12, 06:42 PM
Buy it back cheap and see how much that mobile guy charges, or get a price from that place in Southend, British Classics or whatever.