PDA

View Full Version : Rust build up

drroberts490
10-04-12, 06:14 PM
Been servicing my car the last couple of days and noticed quite a bit of rust build up around suspension, ARB and brakes, got the MOT on thurs so hoping it will pass. Definately gonna need a rebuild underneath at some point, anyone done this before? Wondered how easy it is to change calipers, shock absorbers, anti roll bar etc.
Thinking of collecting the bits needed over time and then doing a complete rebuild underneath, hoping to keep her well into her classic years.

daytona365
10-04-12, 06:29 PM
Done the same to mine. The rust is only surface. What I have been doing is just cleaning it off, then K-rusting it, then painting it with Hammertite.

peterzs
10-04-12, 07:20 PM
Always spray mine with WD40, specially the brake pipes, bit worrying if its that bad, when they are still quite newish!!!!

KevG
10-04-12, 07:36 PM
At some point, I'll be stripping everything off and powder coating all the bits.

drroberts490
10-04-12, 07:39 PM
I may be over reacting, most of it is probually just surface rust, still will have to get a wire brush and rust treatment to it.I Will still start collecting some second hand spares for her though, dosen't hurt to have some reconditioned spares in the garage as I can see these models getting rare very quickly