PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed

coreen
16-04-12, 08:48 AM
Hi, I am still having loads of problems with my mg. 8 weeks ago it wouldn't start and our mechanic said it was the fuel pump, this was changed but the car then revved at over 2000 when idle and had a massive judder/miss fire, the main fan was also running constantly. It was plugged into a code reader and we then changed the purge valve and IACV, there was a small improvement but not much. It was plugged back into a code reader and 2 x temp sensors were changed, still no change. We have now changed the ECU and the car ran fine last nigt but only took it about 10 miles. I have gne to use it this morning and it is now revving between 2000 and upto 3000 when idle, the main fan isn't contantly running though and the juddering/missfire is back. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be because we are running out of parts to change!

bonsai
16-04-12, 03:07 PM
the hi revs sound like the iacv wich you say you changed but defo sounds like its sticking,as for judderig misfire coil packs perhaps?also has the fuel filter and plugs been changed?

andy-81
16-04-12, 03:26 PM
i agree with bonsai you could do with changing the coil packs to see if that is causing the problem have you changed the mass airflow sensor or possibly the egr valve if it has one if the mass air flow is just sticky it wont show on the diagnostic as faulty i dont think but it definatly sounds like a electronic timing fault this is far as my knowledge goes i'm afraid but i hope it helps

ZS
16-04-12, 03:38 PM
Assume you 1.8 engine?

Have you per chance got the throttle cable too tight??

coreen
16-04-12, 03:55 PM
It is a 1.8. It has just been plugged into a diagnostic machine and has only come up with a speed sensor fault. I think the coil packs have been changed and the plugs have all been cleaned and checked. I'm not sure if the fuel filter was changed when we changed the fuel pump - I will have to check. A different mechanic has said these problems could be to do with the lambda sensor but he didn't say which one - is this possible?

andy-81
16-04-12, 04:29 PM
are the revs erratic or do they stay like that whilst the engine is running? im inclined to say no the lambda censor is not the problem as when mine went last week i never had half as many problems as yours mine just ran lumpy whilst driving

RalphG
16-04-12, 04:34 PM
Have you/your mechanic checked the plug for the ECU? Its possible that one of the connectors has been pushed out, which could lead to these symptoms. Alternatively, check the cable to the ECU as this may be damaged.

Zippy Saloon
16-04-12, 05:03 PM
I've seen reports of the big connector under the throttle body causing all sorts of problems, could be worth checking out - recommended fix I saw was to do away with connector altogether and solder / heatshrink each wire - needs to be done one at a time as they aren't particularly colour coded.

peterzs
16-04-12, 05:23 PM
I was wondering if you had it on a rolling road, would the faults show up?????

Maybe worth giving the nearest R/R car tuner garage a ring and asking the question.

ZS
16-04-12, 05:25 PM
Have you per chance got the throttle cable too tight??

Check this... I had similar issues with my old 216 and it turned out to be this :)

coreen
16-04-12, 09:48 PM
hi guys,
took it to the garage earlier plugged in again cleared all the faults but p0500 fault stays on (speed sensor ) after all the codes except the p0500 code was cleared it started and ran fine as it did yesterday after fitting the new ecu ,
do i buy the speed sensor as this is about the only sensor left to change or a my mechanic has said drive it till it faults again then plug it in see what code/codes come up ,
or anyone want to buy mk1 53 plate mg zs?? lol
any more ideas help from you guys would be great
thanks coreen

petet16
16-04-12, 10:01 PM
I'm thinking these problems are down to either chafed/damaged wiring, or poor connections, there are too many random faults being thrown up for it to be component failures.

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 05:36 AM
I'm thinking these problems are down to either chafed/damaged wiring, or poor connections, there are too many random faults being thrown up for it to be component failures.

Possibly see post #8 - this can cause all kinds of trouble apparently

coreen
17-04-12, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys , any idea how I find this ??
Thanks you again Coreen

petet16
17-04-12, 07:13 AM
Ralph in post #7 also mentions the ecu connector.

Is the speed sensor on the gearbox, I thought the ZS used the abs for speed sensing.

As to finding the fault it's really down to opening up the outer covering of the engine loom and examining the wiring for breaks or chafing.

peterzs
17-04-12, 08:03 AM
Didnt some have problems with the loom by/under the battery.

Might be worth checking that area.

ZS
17-04-12, 08:13 AM
Didnt some have problems with the loom by/under the battery.

Might be worth checking that area.

I've had two ZS's with issues with the earth that connects to the clutch bracket on the gearbox... but in both cases its fully seperated and required a new cable... and had all sorts of strange electrical issues because of it!

peterzs
17-04-12, 08:16 AM
Makes you wonder if an Autoelectrician spent an hour or so checking it out, might save a few £££ in the long run.

coreen
17-04-12, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys I guess I am going to have to get under the bonnet and check all of the above
It has to be something electrical as I drove it last night back from the garage no high revs no missing no flat spots , then drove it this morning Erving @ 2000 rpm bad flat spot and missing / lumpy running , it is getting me down now don't know if I should cut my loses and scrap it ! As I have spent the best part of £300 on it and it is only slightly better than it was 8-9 weeks ago

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 04:22 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/fault.jpg

peterzs
17-04-12, 04:28 PM
Like the sound of a gold plated pin and socket, but dont think MG/Rover would have paid the pennies, specially after their cost cutting exercise.

coreen
17-04-12, 04:49 PM
hi
thanks zippy , just been out to it started it moved that block and 1 near the ecu it cut out and will not start again so i think i might have narrowed it down to 1 of thoose cables i have booked an auto eletrician for thursday so i can now point him in the right direction, 1 more question the block under the throttle body what does that control ? i only ask as my fan is coming on as soon as i turn the key
thanks coreen

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 05:29 PM
Without looking at wiring diagram I couldn't say but looking at that article it can effect quite a number of things

peterzs
17-04-12, 05:36 PM
hi
thanks zippy , just been out to it started it moved that block and 1 near the ecu it cut out and will not start again so i think i might have narrowed it down to 1 of thoose cables i have booked an auto eletrician for thursday so i can now point him in the right direction, 1 more question the block under the throttle body what does that control ? i only ask as my fan is coming on as soon as i turn the key
thanks coreen

Hope you have it sorted (ish)

Best of luck on Thursday and hope it solves all the problems.

:clap::clap::clap:

coreen
17-04-12, 05:38 PM
hi zippy
thank you again , where did you find that article ? i am asking as the green box that is missing tells you what the pins do
thanks coreen

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 05:57 PM
Ooops!
This?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/memsinfo.jpg

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 06:07 PM
Just scanned another diagram from article that may be of some use, sadly Photobucket is being an arse at the moment! Its next to useless at times for me. :mad:

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 06:09 PM
Here we go:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/memsconnections2-1.jpg

Car Mechanics mag Mar 2006

coreen
17-04-12, 06:30 PM
thank you again zippy ,
it is defo that connector block or the 1 from that going to the ecu as i moved it and it starts again , i moved it a few more times the fan went off and the revs went up , i am thinking a bit of wire cutting and jointing is the next step and checking the plug on the ecu , busy few nights for me then , really hope this is it as it is looking so promising

peterzs
17-04-12, 06:33 PM
Get the WD40 out and spray it around.

Zippy Saloon
17-04-12, 06:39 PM
thank you again zippy ,
it is defo that connector block or the 1 from that going to the ecu as i moved it and it starts again , i moved it a few more times the fan went off and the revs went up , i am thinking a bit of wire cutting and jointing is the next step and checking the plug on the ecu , busy few nights for me then , really hope this is it as it is looking so promising

The block by throttle body?

Glad to be of service, always handy keeping any articles like this.

coreen
17-04-12, 07:08 PM
yes the block under the throttle body, that goes to the right plug on the ecu (as you face from the front of the car)
you have all been a real big help i can not thank you enough , esp if it works lol

Fred68
17-04-12, 07:18 PM
Sometimes the ecu plug can suffer slight corrosion on the contact surfaces in much the same way the seat airbag does!! Try unplugging the ecu plug and refit it. It might just work??

coreen
17-04-12, 07:59 PM
hi fred68
i have changed the ecu so it has been plugged unplugged
thanks anyway

andy-81
17-04-12, 08:41 PM
sounds like you have found the fault with the help of a few knowledgeable (ouch that was a big word for me) people on here hope the auto electrician sorts it for you, don't lose faith with it as theres not much else to go wrong seen as you have changed almost everything on it, once it is done you'll be smiling again

coreen
17-04-12, 10:21 PM
Fingers crossed I will keep you all posted
Thanks guys

RalphG
18-04-12, 11:18 AM
BTW I have Omitec CAPS ;)

Zippy Saloon
20-04-12, 06:06 PM
Fingers crossed I will keep you all posted
Thanks guys

Is it sorted?

coreen
22-04-12, 08:46 PM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3639&stc=1&d=1335126594

hi guys,
quick update i think i / we and you guys ( zippy sallon, ralph g and petet16 ) have found the problems and fixed them now the black cable block under the throttle body had 3 cables showing bare wire , and the right hand connector on the ecu had 6 cables bare / arcing / melted to each other , my brother ( a mechanic ) has cut these back crimpped them and heatshrinked them so they are all back and working fine .

i would never have found this if it was not for all the helpful people ( zippy , ralph g ,petet16) i vannot thank you enough , i hope this post can help someone like me in the future
again thank you all so much
Coreen " happy mg driver again "

coreen
22-04-12, 08:47 PM
sorry it should say
"zippy saloon"
big thanks

peterzs
22-04-12, 09:06 PM
Glad its sorted, hope you still have the love for the car.

:wave:

coreen
23-04-12, 08:18 AM
Don't know about love for it !
Had it 8 years so slightly fond of it ,
Perhaps if it hadn't of cost me so much over the years I might have .

Zippy Saloon
23-04-12, 04:47 PM
great to know its sorted and that you're another Zed long termer (had mine 10 years in Aug, 10 years old at end of this week)

coreen
23-04-12, 06:03 PM
hi zippy, how is the dash swap going is it all finished ?

Zippy Saloon
23-04-12, 07:31 PM
hi zippy, how is the dash swap going is it all finished ?

Yeah, did that almost a year ago now - old pic I put up.
Makes it feel much more up to date.
Theres not much of the car thats still as I bought it really.

Top left is not too long after I bought the Zed, bottom right is latest.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/ZSmods.jpg

As the dash is now
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/007-21.jpg