PDA

View Full Version : Dark ice designs turbo outlet pipe

sim85
16-04-12, 05:15 PM
Hi there just wondering if anybody has fitted the outlet pipe to the l series and whether it makes much of a difference over the standard one. Thanks

p_b82
19-04-12, 11:36 AM
I have one of the 'original' Donny pipes..... and it helps make the turbo a little more responsive - but realisitcally doesn't make a whole host of difference.

If you are not going beyond injectors and remap i would save the cash unless you want the bling in the engine bay :)

You can probably get the same gains by unsquashing the OE one in a vice lol

sim85
19-04-12, 10:01 PM
Thanks p_b82,I definatley want to go further with the mods,was looking at a hybrid turbo but don't really know much about where to start or even where to get one,been looking everywhere! I did mean to ask as u have a td as well,what's the max boost I can have with the oe turbo?

p_b82
23-04-12, 01:31 PM
Sorry late reply - been busy...

OE turbo is 19PSI max. anymore and you overspeed it and you actually loose power due to the heat generation - (and will damage the turbo in time)

Hybrid turbo's are a slight challenge for us - as the OE exhuast housing is really rather small and it creates too much pressure in the exhuast manifold.

Have a read of my build thread for some of the issues i have encountered using mine....

alternately nip over to mg-rover.org and read the diesel section if you want to see other
tuning options. (i dont think there are any other L-series specific sites where people are tuning - but there is always tdiclub and the forums for more generic (but VW orientated) tuning options)

Or feel free to ask me here or pm :)

sim85
23-04-12, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info mate,I think im running about 17 psi at the moment so I'll probably leave it there'it seems to be ok at that anyway,I was just curious lol. Will definatley have a read of the build thread on the hybrid,give me an idea of what to expect,thanks again p_b82

MG 53 ZED
01-01-13, 06:50 PM
Hi there just wondering if anybody has fitted the outlet pipe to the l series and whether it makes much of a difference over the standard one. Thanks

Bit of an old thread i know, but i have recently fitted a Dark Ice turbo outlet pipe and yes i found it made a noticeable difference. feels like the turbo is flowing better and responded quicker.

Dave
01-01-13, 07:15 PM
Bit of an old thread i know, but i have recently fitted a Dark Ice turbo outlet pipe and yes i found it made a noticeable difference. feels like the turbo is flowing better and responded quicker.
I have to admit that the pipe does look great, but i am very skeptical about the gains claimed by dark ice. I am pretty sure, an unsquashed oe charge pipe would produce the same results.

Glad you like the pipe, but i feel the £85 or so for the pipe may have been better spent elsewhere ;)

Cheers
Dave

ZRed
02-01-13, 12:19 AM
Boys it's a diesel. Built for economy from a tractor.

I just don't get the tampering??!!

ZS
02-01-13, 07:16 AM

Have you ever driven a Modified Diesel? :D :chair:

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-13, 07:52 AM
I have a fairly modified diesel Astra and can see the appeal to those not used to the power... but there's nothing like the roar of a petrol egine and the smell of VPower to get you going in the morning :D

Saying that, Susan's brother has a 3.0 A5 and for a diesel it sounds rather good

Dan1971
02-01-13, 08:27 AM
My 3.0l diesel BMW sounded good to be honest .... No diesel rattle at all. Passengers actually had to be told it was a diesel which was met with a "No way .... !"

Enright
02-01-13, 08:38 AM

Shimples:
SDi injectors - £50; Air filter - £20; Gutted cat - £0 (plus maybe a tenner to replace rusty nuts & bolts).
Performance hike: from 115bhp to between 150 and 160. :strongbench:
Economy drop: 3mpg.
Who wouldn't?!? :happy:

MG 53 ZED
02-01-13, 10:59 AM

It's the best tractor i have ever driven Lol. I think with the diesel you get a good combination of both worlds. Good running costs and good power gains with a few simple mods.

peterzs
02-01-13, 11:15 AM

Its because we have to spend all the cash we have saved, cheap Road Tax, cheaper insurance, more mpg.

Plus we dont have to call into a garage, or get our hands dirty, most weekend doing the fixes, that some other models need to keep them going!!! So even more savings.

Must admit its not the newest state of the art, diesel engine, but that has its advantages.

And 236 ft/lbs torque is fun. So I'm told!!!

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-13, 11:53 AM
Plus we dont have to call into a garage, or get our hands dirty, most weekend doing the fixes, that some other models need to keep them going!!! So even more savings.

lucky you, both my diesel cars require far more regular maintainance than the petrol members of the fleet. i have to take the EGR valve out of the Astra at least once every 6 months or it stops working, and the whole inlet system (including the manifold - not a small job!) needs to come off once a year to clean all the diesel gunk out of it.

The Impreza just needs fuel chucked in it and the tyre pressures checked :ohmy:

peterzs
02-01-13, 02:23 PM
Thats the beauty of the modern common rail diesels, and the "green", diesel particle filter.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Lucky our tractors dont have this!!!!

Pinto
02-01-13, 08:24 PM
There are some manafacturers who have deleted the DPF from their newer models !!

I dont mind em tho - make me money ;)

peterzs
03-01-13, 10:29 AM
£1000 a throw, can see why.

Think the new car designs are crazy, in my day an alternator went, you could by a diode pack for pennies and that sorted it. Now its a replacement alternator, I know its all down to labour costs and I suppose a new unit will last longer. But it all pushes up the costs.

Same as some of the new cars when you have to replace a headlight bulb. On some models half the engine has to come off. Makes a mockery of having to carry new bulbs, as you have to on the Continent. Still need a workshop to fit them!!!

Least on our tractors, we can do most maintenance jobs fairly easily.

:beer::beer::beer:

Nobrainer
03-01-13, 10:41 AM
Its all deliberate. The more expensive it is to work on an older car, the more likely you are to just buy a new one

peterzs
03-01-13, 10:45 AM
Can see us getting like Japan, where the 7 year (I think) MOT is so expensive that its not worth doing.

So they send them all over here, where we seem to be able to keep them going. (All those grey imports)

Bit like our scrappage deal they had, the other day.

Maxxed_Ross
03-01-13, 10:48 AM
Same as some of the new cars when you have to replace a headlight bulb. On some models half the engine has to come off. Makes a mockery of having to carry new bulbs, as you have to on the Continent. Still need a workshop to fit them!!!

Least on our tractors, we can do most maintenance jobs fairly easily.

Have you ever tried to change the headlight bulbs on a Mk2 ZS??? :laugh: Skint knuckles all round

peterzs
03-01-13, 11:32 AM
Done that, even managed to get main beam bulbs upside down, and thanks to Ritchy advising why my lights were picking up the tops of trees a mile down the road, sorted them.

My old MGB's were so easy!!!!!

Thats progress I suppose.

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Maxxed_Ross
03-01-13, 12:00 PM
the Defender is fantastic... two screws on the OUTSIDE of the car and the whole unit is off