PDA

View Full Version : V6 to VVC swap. Is it easy?

Fred68
22-04-12, 09:17 AM
Hi guys bit of an odd question I know but i'm wondering if anybody has done it? I want to build a car for the wife to use and have the a 180 base in as new condition but need to give it better fuel economy without loosing to much pace. There is a double reason for the swap as 1st is economy, but I need a good KV6 for my classic car project which is currently in the 180's engine bay!! What would I need for the swap? eg ecu, alarm, harness etc Thanks

welshone
22-04-12, 09:23 AM
Hi guys bit of an odd question I know but i'm wondering if anybody has done it? I want to build a car for the wife to use and have the 180 base car in as new condition but need to give it better fuel economy without loosing to much pace. What would I need? Thanks

Think it would be easier and cheaper to get a 1.6 or 1.8 ZS and put the VVC 1.8 into them instead. Think there is to much to change on the V6.

gary471
22-04-12, 09:34 AM
Could sell you a 220 t16 for your project

Dan1971
22-04-12, 09:40 AM
LPG mate ... ;)

Look up C13URD 's old 180. Mint car with an LPG conversion where the filler was hidden behind the rear plate.

or - I know a guy with a 110 with the full 180 kit and LPG. He'd consider taking your 180 I reckon ......

talkingcars
22-04-12, 10:27 AM
If it was just fuel ecconomy I'd suggest LPG as well but seeing as you want the engine....

Obviously you'll need the engine, gearbox and engine bay wiring loom and ECU from the doner car which I guess will come from a ZR160,
you may also need the driveshafts and engine mounts from a 4 pot ZS/45.

You should be able to use the O/E radiator and induction and alarm system.

An easier route would be to swap your V6 for Tims 110 with LPG and source an engine seperatly.

Ritchy
22-04-12, 11:28 AM
itd take a long time to pay for the fuel difference by the time youve payed for everything for the conversion, plus probably increased insurance and the car wouldnt be worth as much to sell afterwards,
persoanlly id say either sell and get something else or just put up with the mpg

Fred68
22-04-12, 11:43 AM
I've got the VVC motor as that was for my classic project but after a long hard think and a measure up I reckon the V6 in that would be the dogs danglies in that. So I know I need a Pg1 box and drive shafts which are easy to get. It's the wiring that could cause the head aches, is the engine loom an easy plug in swap or will there be some joining to be done? And I guess I'll need a 4 pot dash too and maybe the matching alarm to the ecu!! I had thought about Lpg and will investigate that further. Another good reason to swap to the 4 pot is things like cam belts are a lot cheaper to change which is good as the car will do 200+ miles a week.