PDA

View Full Version : Finally - we have a ZS :D

MG mad
24-04-12, 03:03 PM
Warning, below is a short novella, skip first two paragraphs if you want to get the interesting bit about the car.

After wanting one for many years, and several poor excuses for not buying one (buying a house, then a ZT-T 260, more project cars etc) I found myself in Munich with a new job, and needing a car. I just couldn't get excited about the local offerings, test drove a couple of ZT 190s (seem to be the most common Zed over here), which were ok but after the V8 just didn't feel as accomplished.

Then, happy days, found a ZS advertised about an hours train ride from where we're living. Unfortunately, the owner spoke very little English, and although my German is improving, it's only improving because it couldn't get worse than not knowing any. This made calling up to ask about viewing it rather interesting, but when we arrived they were very friendly and we could understand each other well enough to make a deal.

Anyway, as I have only seen 1 MK2 ZS for sale in Germany, and it was a diesel, we have settled for a MK1. Diesel was not an option a) cos it's a diesel, and b) the emissions regs here in Germany would not allow it to be driven in most town centres. V6 petrol is fine though.

It is an early car, first registered in Germany in 2001, and naturally LHD. According to the shut plate it is ZS no. 2499, and is in anthracite with red monaco seats.

Good things:
It's a 180
low mileage (69500 km)
belts etc done recently
inlet manifold replaced (new)
new battery and a few other bits, recent service etc
original 17" straights with summer tyres as well as 16" winter tyres all included and all in very good condition, and with centre caps.

Bad things:
Owner's boyfriend was a smoker, so car is a bit wiffy but not as bad as it could be. A good airing should sort it hopefully.
Door card trim is starting to come away, as per cars of this age.

Otherwise it's in really good condition, and quite pleased with it. Colour looks a lot better in the flesh then in the ad. Now we just have to register it, and then I will give it a clean, change the wheels and take some photos.

Lukeus101
24-04-12, 03:06 PM
Welcome :D

ZS
24-04-12, 03:07 PM
Will 16's fit over the 180 calipers? ;) (I know they won't over the Brembo's... which is an epic mod btw :p)

Lukeus101
24-04-12, 03:12 PM
they will :) had 282 set up on my zr then sat on hairpins.

stamford
24-04-12, 03:24 PM
Why on earth Munich Andrew? ;) I tried so hard to make a switch to NZ, gave up due to high costs to shift everything. So how's life treating you there? What do you like and what do you miss?

Good to hear you finally got a zed, post some pics up as and when mate. :thumbsup:

peterzs
24-04-12, 04:01 PM
Hi and :hi:

Sounds like you know about MG's, glad you got a good one.

:yes::yes::yes:

talkingcars
24-04-12, 05:26 PM
Nice one - looking foward to the photos.

James

andy-81
24-04-12, 08:57 PM
congrats and welcome mate looking forward to the pics

stamford
24-04-12, 09:08 PM
Tickets for the champions league final please Andrew! :laugh:

daytona365
24-04-12, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the site. Tickets for the german gp!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Raby
24-04-12, 09:44 PM
Can't be bad at all, can't wait for pics though tbh!

Can I have tickets for frankfurter BBQ bash?!

p_b82
24-04-12, 09:45 PM
nice find you got there - interesting that the diesel can't be driven in town centres - i would have to make sure i never drive mine there then - as it sticks out a bit more stuff than it did out the factory :laugh:

Loving your garage though :D

MG mad
25-04-12, 07:52 AM
Why on earth Munich Andrew? ;) I tried so hard to make a switch to NZ, gave up due to high costs to shift everything. So how's life treating you there? What do you like and what do you miss?

Good to hear you finally got a zed, post some pics up as and when mate. :thumbsup:

The EU gave me lots of money to do a postdoctoral fellowship for two years, so hard to say no :) We have left most stuff at home, packed it all in our garage whiel renting out the house.

I like cheap good beer, leberwurst and being able to ride my bike to work.

I miss the beaches (never far from one in Auckland), sailing and driving my Midget, Metro etc.

As for Champions League final, I already tried that and got rejected. Heading off to the Monaco Historic GP in a few weeks as it's the 50th anniversary of Bruce McLaren's win there, and will be quite a few Kiwis going. And then doing MG Live at Silverstone (although in Dad's UK Midget), Goodwood Revival and hopefully the Olympic football. Going to be busy, and poor, but fun.

The wife is off to register the car today so hopefully wash/wheel change (yes the 16s definitely fit over the brakes, they're on it at the moment) and then photos.

stamford
25-04-12, 08:56 AM
Good hear you are cramming in what you can, make the most of it I say!

MG mad
30-04-12, 07:45 AM
Went out for a drive on the weekend, with summer tyres now on and a clean (ish) car. Photos now in the gallery :)