PDA

View Full Version : BMC V's ITG

Adamzs180
29-04-12, 07:12 PM
I've seen a bmc induction for sale at £202 and an itg maxogen for £310 is the maxogen worth the extra £108 i know this has been discussed to death but i just want to be sure that i'm getting the right kit for my car. I know they need fitting below the passenger side headlight and to decrease the pipe size to keep the air flow pressure. And both should, if fitted properly, give up to 10bhp increase. would cutting a larger hole in the front bumper increase the cold air flow, providing the hole was properly ducted? I'm thinking that this + exhaust+ re map should see me closer to the 200bhp mark?

stamford
29-04-12, 08:15 PM
Firstly is the BMC a kit or just the carbon fibre can, bracket and ducting? If so then £202 seems steep. The ITG is a full kit so no extras required. Any induction kit is a compromise at best and never optimal in its installation. So the airflow will always be 'okay' as it is basically the same size all the way through. Position of the intake is key, the ITG being fixed. Any decent open cone in inner wing, BMC and ITG will give around 10bhp on average. So 200 is possible with decent exhaust, decat and a remap, the main gain here is AFR at the top end is corrected, little noticed below this tbh but worth the money compared to other mods albeit small.

big_wasa
29-04-12, 08:19 PM
That is a lot of money. An inner wing filter and pipe work will do the same job for a lot less.

Adamzs180
29-04-12, 08:35 PM
Okay i can see this getting complicated for my non mechanical brain. I think what you're saying is any filter as long as its positioned for maximum air flow will do the job sufficiently but ITG supply everything needed for that but at a price.

ZS
29-04-12, 09:31 PM
Personally, I've had one 180 with a blvd and two with ITG induction kits... I personally rate the itg more due to the fixing although I think power wise they are much a muchness... think I would go itg if twere me...

DuckFeet
30-04-12, 07:42 AM
I went with :
second hand BMC £50-100
TB pipe from PSH £50
cold air feed £10 (your favourite local DIY place)
BMC cleaning kit, £20 I think.

The cheapest option is still a £15 cone and a £10 cold air feed with some cable ties to hold it all in place.

Personally I'm buying all second hand mods this time round and it's working out well so far.

big_wasa
30-04-12, 08:47 AM
I like making stuff but the itg looks the best quality. I am not a fan of re using the the squidgy standard hose on the throttle body.

Over the years people have said keep the pipe work away from the rad and the filter or air feed out of the engine bay and its all much of a muchness.

I made mine out of stainless but alloy and sillicone joiners will do the same jome for less.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq148/big_wasa/Mg%20zs%20180/SDC10434.jpg

Less than £90 all in

stamford
30-04-12, 08:59 AM
I like making stuff but the itg looks the best quality. I am not a fan of re using the the squidgy standard hose on the throttle body.

Over the years people have said keep the pipe work away from the rad and the filter or air feed out of the engine bay and its all much of a muchness.

I made mine out of stainless but alloy and sillicone joiners will do the same jome for less.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq148/big_wasa/Mg%20zs%20180/SDC10434.jpg

Less than £90 all in

Nice work there, could be a nice earner if offered to members etc?

big_wasa
30-04-12, 02:07 PM
Nice work there, could be a nice earner if offered to members etc?

Thanks :blush: I dont feel my Tig work is upto retail standard yet though. I would have gone alloy but only have a Dc tig.

Alloy elbows and joiners will do the same job.

Lukeus101
30-04-12, 02:54 PM
Id buy that!!!

tb steve
30-04-12, 03:04 PM
someone correct me if im wrong please

first thing first is it a mk1 or mk2

im sure there was a thread some where that the bmc on a mk2 was just touching the rad but in a mk1 is was ok ?? think the engine sits a bit further forward or the rad a bit more back on the mk2 could be wrong

ive had a bmc and did not like the way it fitted as a kit (as a filter fine) so i got the silicone bit made up buy the time that was made up i should of just bought the ITG straight fit job done

stamford
30-04-12, 03:14 PM
I cannot see why the mk1 and the mk2 should be any different, same car under the facelift panels. Granted the BMC cannistor is close to the radiator, but if care is taken when fitting then it is not a problem, not much in it when compared to the ITG one either. My BMC has been fitted for around 6 years now and has been in and out a few times for servicing, no problem at all. At the time I could not justify the ITG price tag for such small gains hence the BMC route which cost me less than half the ITG version. Each to their own and of their spanner capabilities.

Bobdope2002
30-04-12, 03:48 PM
no way would i pay £300 for an induction kit you've either got too much money or are a Little mad

Simple Piping and filter in the inner wing is sufficient i paid £30 for mine all those moons ago

Smokey
30-04-12, 04:48 PM
Kev runs a BMC on his mk2 iirc.

tb steve
30-04-12, 05:23 PM
Each to their own and of their spanner capabilities.

very true think it taken me 3 hours to fit mine lol

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=38603

talkingcars
30-04-12, 06:27 PM
As Mick said there is no difference under the bonnet of the mk1 and mk2.

To keep my BMC simple I moved the battery to the boot and used 2 silicone elbows to put the filter in it's place, it's well away from the rad and runs much cooler.

Adamzs180
30-04-12, 08:51 PM
£90!!! does that include the cone filter? I'll start the bidding at £110 for one of them

big_wasa
30-04-12, 08:55 PM
Yeh its a K&N via flee bay, would have prefered a pipercross but I wanted it there and then.

car13
01-05-12, 05:54 PM
I am biased as I run one on the race car.

However the ITG is the only filter that has been designed for the ZS180, the shape of the filter box and intake pipe are designed such that even air flow.

Back to back rolling road showed 8 bhp inprovement on piper venom closed induction kit.

Yes they are expensive but they are the best bolt on for performance.

Thats one of the reason why MG Sport and racing got them to make them as they are the only aftermarket kit that was a factory option.

They also work well on 1.8 engine all the MG Sport and racing ZR190's used them as standard.

Clearly for improved induction a standard come is a good step and inner wing set works well. However for all out performance ITG can not be beaten.

Adamzs180
01-05-12, 07:47 PM
I've worked hard through the wettest April i can remember so i'm going to treat myself and shell out for the ITG. Like it's been said it is designed for the mg so shouldn't have any teething troubles with it. Thanks for all the advice. Some of you may think i'm mad spending that sort of money on an 'air filter' but if you add the cost of my time Making up my own filter and pipe assembly and the brackets then fitting it and then any other minor alterations to get it working effectively i think the ITG is good value for money.

Adamzs180
01-05-12, 09:10 PM
Has anyone had any dealings with Merlinmotorsport? They advertise an itg maxogen induction kit for £310 where everyone else seems to be around the £350-£370 mark.