PDA

View Full Version : What bits do I need?

KirkJames
04-05-12, 10:51 PM
I have got to change the Reluctor Rings on my car before the MOT in a few weeks. I am going to renew the split pins but I don't know what size pins I need.
Can anyone tell me? Is there anything else I need?

petet16
04-05-12, 11:06 PM
Which split pins do you need to know the sizes of.

KirkJames
05-05-12, 12:42 AM
The one underneath the ball joint around the outer cv area iirc.

petet16
05-05-12, 07:58 AM
You could just use a nyloc nut and bin the split pin, if you want to split pin it 3/32" should do the job.

dean0
05-05-12, 05:10 PM
you should change the hub nuts too...they are not too pricey

Fred68
05-05-12, 06:23 PM
Look on Ebay as last year I picked up the whole CV joint with ring fitted for a silly price!! At the same time a got the rear hub with ring and bearing for a supprisingly low amount. I think I paid just over £20 last year for the hub and about the same for the CV joint kit with ring boot and nut !!

James Raby
05-05-12, 09:57 PM
Look on Ebay as last year I picked up the whole CV joint with ring fitted for a silly price!! At the same time a got the rear hub with ring and bearing for a supprisingly low amount. I think I paid just over £20 last year for the hub and about the same for the CV joint kit with ring boot and nut !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-MGZS-MG-ZS-MG-ZS-2-0TD-2-5V6-CV-JOINT-NEW-01-/140530056524

I got these early last year for my Blue ZS, seem fine

Fred68
05-05-12, 10:13 PM
That's the ones ;)

KirkJames
06-05-12, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, i have the rings already so may try them. If that, for some reason fails (like I split the rubber boot or something) how easy is it to replace the whole joint?

James Raby
06-05-12, 07:49 PM
Easy if the joint wants to play ball, had to angle grind one Of mine off last year! Not fun!

KirkJames
06-05-12, 09:40 PM
Easy if the joint wants to play ball, had to angle grind one Of mine off last year! Not fun!
I hope not cos I wont be able to do that, then I'll be stuffed!! Like I say I will try the rings first I think then if that don't work I'll go down the Joint option.

KirkJames
12-05-12, 12:42 PM
Well it was a bit drier yesterday, so I decided to tackle the ABS rings. Got down to the ball joint and could I get the little 5hit off? Could I 8ollocks!!

I had a fairly short fork splitter but it looks like I need the scissor type. Just annoying really but on the plus side I now know what I doing so shouldn't take too long to do now. The hub nut didn't give me much problems, had to chock the rear wheels tho as I was pulling that hard the car was moving backwards lol

dean0
12-05-12, 12:55 PM
I feel your pain...when I did the ABS rings on my old 180 I could not get my joint splitter to work - I had one of those cup type, in the end I had to purchase a scissor type.

Another tip too - I heated the ring in an old saucepan on the hob, get 2 pairs of pliers ready to pop the ring on quickly before it cools too much

KirkJames
12-05-12, 05:14 PM
Cheers Deano, may well do that, ordered a splitter so will attempt it (AGAIN) next week when I'm off.

Fred68
12-05-12, 07:32 PM
If the ball joint won't split simply undo the inner bush bolts and leave the wishbone connected to the upright!! I know it leaves the arm in the way a bit but the job is still possible with less chance of damaging the ball joint boot !!

KirkJames
13-05-12, 07:45 AM
If the ball joint won't split simply undo the inner bush bolts and leave the wishbone connected to the upright!! I know it leaves the arm in the way a bit but the job is still possible with less chance of damaging the ball joint boot !!

I don't know what you mean, how does the disc come away from the hub exposing the ABS ring without splitting the ball joint. I will try another way if there is one mate as I now will have to wait for the scissor splitter to get here anyway.

Cheers ;)

James Raby
13-05-12, 08:13 AM
Did you hit it with a hammer to pop it off?

KirkJames
13-05-12, 10:25 AM
I hit the ball joint splitter (which was quite short) but I didn't hit the arm. Am I meant to give that a whack? I tried to lever it of with the splitter (and tapping it) but it couldn't get any grip really and didn't want to split that little boot around the joint.

James Raby
13-05-12, 12:07 PM
Hit the knuckle itself... I think I remember having to do that

KirkJames
15-05-12, 01:51 AM
I've ordered a scissor type splitter so will give it a go with that when it arrives. Now I know what i'm doing it should be a lot easier than last time. I may even take some pics whilst doing it and try and get 'em on here!

Fred68
15-05-12, 04:34 PM
Try as James said. The way we do truck ball joints is to strike the knuckle from both sides at the same time with two hammers!! If you can put a jack under the joint under the thread and compress the spring an inch or two at the same time it should shift!! I never use splitters myself as there is an element of risk damaging the boot!!