PDA

View Full Version : Bump in a carpark.....

Burrelly
14-05-12, 12:53 PM
I had a slight bump in a car park and have a few issues now. Basically i caught the left hand tail on a van while reversing.

I need a new tail light and bumper.

I have also dented the body work around the tail light quite badly. The bumper and tail light i can replace but my question is how hard is it to replace the left hand side rear body work? How much am I looking at for a replacement?

I have found someone breaking a zs same colour but how much work is it to replace the panel?

I am assuming this is the part i need to replace? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-45-MGZS-SALOON-REAR-QUARTER-PANEL-NEW-/360455355744?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ecd03d60#ht_500wt_1413

Dave

ZS
14-05-12, 12:57 PM
That does indeed appear to be the part... but IIRC it is spot welded into place on the ZS... so not an easy replacement (any body shop could do it though)

Also, that one you link to appears to have a dent or two in it... So much for "brand new" ;)

How bad is the damage? (picture?) I know of a ZS who found it cheaper to knock out as much of the dent as possible then smooth over the rest... then repaint it (that was after rolling the car!!)

Adamzs180
14-05-12, 01:04 PM
Are the bumps creased or just dents? If they're not creased a decent bodyshop should be able to pull the bumps out i think.

BUCKYDEVIL
14-05-12, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your bump Dave, Ive got a tail light here if you want it ?
If you need help to replace the bumper I could do it for you, easy job.
stick a pic of the damage up.

Smokey
14-05-12, 01:13 PM
Yeah, a pic will help mate.

I have a light here too, if it's the right one, its yours mate.

Burrelly
14-05-12, 01:29 PM
That would be great Marcus.

The tail light is what really needs replace to at least keep the car legal. The dent and bump can wait until I have the funds to sort them.

I will get some pics up tonight if I get a chance.

BUCKYDEVIL
14-05-12, 02:17 PM
Sent you my number in a PM mate, home all day today if you want the light to keep you road legal, might even have a set of tinted ones sitting so you could always upgrade ?

grimmy
14-05-12, 02:54 PM
Dave is your car not a hatch therefore the tail lights are different but there is a scrappy near you which must have a rover hatch with the same lights.

Burrelly
14-05-12, 02:59 PM
Dave is your car not a hatch therefore the tail lights are different but there is a scrappy near you which must have a rover hatch with the same lights.

Does that mean Buckys lights wont fit? ******

BUCKYDEVIL
14-05-12, 03:04 PM
Does that mean Buckys lights wont fit? ******

Damn I was sure your car was a Saloon ?? my memory is pathetic.
Dave hatch & Saloon lights are different.
is it the left tail light thats gubbed ?

Burrelly
14-05-12, 03:04 PM
My car is the saloon.....

BUCKYDEVIL
14-05-12, 03:06 PM
Thought so.. Hahaha, it's Grimmy's heed thats away wi the fairies

grimmy
14-05-12, 03:06 PM
Sorry my bad I thought you had the hatch .the light while be a straight swap then.

Ritchy
14-05-12, 04:37 PM
id look at getting the rear quarter repaired rather than replaced, i had mine done and that was a big dent

BUCKYDEVIL
14-05-12, 05:38 PM
Dave has not long left mine, and the damage isnt too bad.
Had to hammer a little from the inside to get replacement light to fit,
going to need further panel beating and bit of a paint job,

And sorry mate but got to grass you up to the forum:
Dave actually hit a little bit of fence reversing up my driveway :laugh::oops:
should look at getting parking sensors fitted with new bumper ?

talkingcars
14-05-12, 06:34 PM
Been there done that :look:

The body work is difficult to judge without photos.

Originaly the whole side up to the A piller is one panel so replacing that is obviously not an option.

It really depends on the damage as to weld in a new section or to knock it out and fill, either way you will proberbly have to repaint the panel anyway :(

BUCKYDEVIL
19-05-12, 03:00 PM
Did you take your car to that bodyshop at Broadwood Dave, if so how did you get on ?
Whats the plan for repair, if you need help give me a shout.

Maxxed_Ross
20-05-12, 06:48 AM
Autotechnique in Larbert do all my bodywork, so you could try them if you are struggling. Prices are always spot on too

Burrelly
22-05-12, 02:40 PM
Did you take your car to that bodyshop at Broadwood Dave, if so how did you get on ?
Whats the plan for repair, if you need help give me a shout.

Not had a chance yet.

That bumper for a mk1 bumper the guy was clueless.