PDA

View Full Version : Civic Coilovers

ZS Phil
16-05-12, 10:48 PM
As requested here are some pics of how my ZS TD sits on the "tuning art" coilovers which are marketed for a civic.

This is them as they arived, you need to use the top caps off your old suspension. Dont forget the washer or the rods will poke through your bonnet at the first bump!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1076.jpg

The only thing you have to do which requires parts not in the kit is to source some thinner bolts for the bottom of the rear shocks. The forks on the new dampers are wider than the ZS ones but that isnt a problem because they are supplied with the correct diameter spacing washers. They also come with a nut and bolt of the correct length nowever it is too thick to fit through the ZS bush. Therefore I made my own out of threaded rod and a few nylocs. The pic shows standard on the left, "home made" in the middle and fat ones on the right:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1082.jpg

Test fit:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1080.jpg

After some cleanz:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1086.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1089.jpg

And a good comparision of before and after, hopefully this clears up the questions people had :):

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/zsphil/Coilovers/IMG_1096.jpg

dida4g
17-05-12, 08:35 AM
Very nice. :smart:

jay10
17-05-12, 09:54 AM
any links to where you got these coilovers from?

ZS Phil
17-05-12, 10:28 AM
There is a link at the start of this thread to some that look like mine: http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=21187

peterzs
17-05-12, 10:50 AM
Looking good, are you getting any rubbing.

Even std my one used to rub a bit on hard cornering, only the front.

Doesnt do it now, tyres must have worn down a bit!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dr Doggystyle
17-05-12, 11:27 AM
looks nice and great with the pics of them
yesterday i looked at mine shocks of the r45 and they look the same
so i will be looking for civic coilovers here in NL

car13
17-05-12, 12:19 PM
Look good as mentioned ideal for lowering a road car. Like any modification
best inform insurance company as they do like to refuse to pay out if car modified when accessor looks over car.

Craig-ZS180
17-05-12, 12:25 PM
Been looking at these on the bay for a while now too. Very very tempted after seeing that.. Very nice:mml:

sim85
17-05-12, 08:10 PM
Looks nice mate,will be looking at a set for mine.

ZS Phil
17-05-12, 11:03 PM
To be completely honest when the fronts were at the position they were in for the photots I was getting a bit of rubbing on the fronts when going over bumps and on more than about 3/4 lock. I have just raised them up about 3cm and they are spot on now, never rub even with 5 people in the car.
Regarding insurance, they have been told, only cost an extra £30 so better safe than sorry :).
All the guys saying you want some Id say go for it if you want the looks but if you want to thrash round a track the "propper" ZS ones would be better I would have thought. Id at least hope so when they are 3 times more expensive!

welshone
18-05-12, 06:31 AM
Don't forget people he's on 16's so will be different on 17's but does look good :)

MGZS1
21-05-12, 03:06 PM
Looks really good mate, I'm going to get some as soon as I've sold the avo coilovers off my 25, what splitter do you have on the front bumper ? Looks tidy.

ZS Phil
21-05-12, 07:16 PM
Looks really good mate, I'm going to get some as soon as I've sold the avo coilovers off my 25, what splitter do you have on the front bumper ? Looks tidy.

Cheers dude, its a skoda fabia splitter. Actually its two joined in the centre because one wasnt quite long enough.

DuckFeet
22-05-12, 09:51 AM
Wow that's low. Whare are you on the scale of max/min height? How is the ride compared to standard?

p_b82
22-05-12, 10:27 AM
Just a quick question - are these units designed for the petrol Civic's?

As i would not have thought they would have designed something for the TD (or KV6 as they use the same suspension setup).

If they are petrol spec - i personally would stay away from them on a derv as the spring rates etc will not be right..... that and i can't lower my car as there are far too many hills and speed bumps where i live and get scraping as it stands now :laugh:

ZS Phil
22-05-12, 11:34 AM
Wow that's low. Whare are you on the scale of max/min height? How is the ride compared to standard?

As said, I raised it slightly since the pics were taken. Even then though there was loads of thread left to go lower, could have pretty much touched the road I guess.

Just a quick question - are these units designed for the petrol Civic's?

As i would not have thought they would have designed something for the TD (or KV6 as they use the same suspension setup).

If they are petrol spec - i personally would stay away from them on a derv as the spring rates etc will not be right..... that and i can't lower my car as there are far too many hills and speed bumps where i live and get scraping as it stands now :laugh:

Yeh they are designed for a petrol civic. From doing a bit of reading the honda engines weigh about 120kg and the l series 150 like a V6.
If you have a freind with you in the passenger seat who weighs 13 stone and yourself who weighs 13 stone (a combined mass of 164 kg) you wouldnt think twice about it so a difference of a few kg over the front end cant make that much difference.
At the end of the day they cost £200, they look good and the car still handles and has an acceptable ride quality so for what I use the car for Im not going to get too hung up about spring rates etc.

DuckFeet
22-05-12, 12:06 PM
Apologies, I spied you made the other thread also. How about at max height? For super-comfy-driving-the-missus-about setting?

And yours is a 180? When I looked at civic stuff before I decided the 1.8 was heavy enough to be comparable to the kv6.

Kudos for trying it, ZSs definitely look better sat a little lower.

ZS Phil
22-05-12, 01:59 PM
Apologies, I spied you made the other thread also. How about at max height? For super-comfy-driving-the-missus-about setting?

And yours is a 180? When I looked at civic stuff before I decided the 1.8 was heavy enough to be comparable to the kv6.

Kudos for trying it, ZSs definitely look better sat a little lower.

I would say its going to lower by at least 30-40 mm even if you wind them up. Trouble is you will struggle to fit them until the collars are wound all the way down (even with spring compressors). Then you have to wind the collars back up to get it to a sensible height, to do this you have to take the spring compressors off in order to get the C spanner on the collar. Therefore you are then winding against the spring so plenty of grease on the collar to help it turn. I got to a point on the rears where you really have to lean on the spanner to wind the collar up because of resistance from the spring despite there being plenty of thread left to go higher. For some reason this was more apparent on the right because the collar at a certain point starts to spring back (perhaps because of the direction in which the spring has been wound). You can easily get it so there is a bit of arch gap if you want though.
Regarding driving the missus about, they are more comfy than the motobuild springs which I had on before so I guess similar to standard.
Mine is the diesel but same sort of weight as a v6 due to the iron block.
Cheers for the comments :), the ZS deffo pulls off the low look well.

DuckFeet
05-07-12, 09:24 AM
How are you getting on with the kit? Still happy I hope.

I think I'm about to go ahead with it but am worried that my "knots in cotton" muscles won't have the power to wind it high enough. I hope I can get my Mr. Muscle Extender Bar over the spanner.

Does lower = stiffer? Or does it just do it's thing and you choose the height?

ZS Phil
11-07-12, 11:15 AM
How are you getting on with the kit? Still happy I hope.

I think I'm about to go ahead with it but am worried that my "knots in cotton" muscles won't have the power to wind it high enough. I hope I can get my Mr. Muscle Extender Bar over the spanner.

Does lower = stiffer? Or does it just do it's thing and you choose the height?

Still all good with it, its been on since the end of September last year so almost a year. Id say the more you raise the car the stiffer it gets because the springs become preloaded before you drop it on the ground. I greased the threads up to try and stop corrosion which has helped. The only complaint I have is the rubber boots have started to crack ever so slightly but for the money Im not bothered.
Im not exactly chuck norris either, more technique than brute fore when adjusting them.