PDA

View Full Version : A bit of advice...

POMPSKI
18-05-12, 09:32 PM
Ok so.... Found a lovely Mk2 180, low mileage but the belts have not been done. Which is not a problem if the car is the right price, and I think it is very reasonable.

What Im wondering is, are there any experienced MG/Rover mechanics on sites like this that can do the belts/water pump as either a mobile mechanic or a garage around the East Midlands/Anglia area. Im hoping mobile mechanics but I feel it is a massive job for one day, especially the V6. I would rather have this kind of job done by an enthusiast rather than someone who really does not care...

Also, would I be better off buying the parts individually so that I am purely paying labor costs for whoever fits them? I would do it myself (Im an aircraft mechanic) but I neither have the space/time nor tools..... A quick glance at ebay see's a company close to me quoting £800 which I fear is the norm for the V6.

Bit of a mouthful but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Dave

peterzs
18-05-12, 09:46 PM
Dont know how far this guy will travel, or he might recommend someone, might be worth a phone call.

http://www.mgroversolutions.com/

Or:- Rovermgparts.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11907

POMPSKI
18-05-12, 09:58 PM
£400.... Good start that, not sure on the location, but would be worth travelling. Thanks for the good info.

KirkJames
19-05-12, 12:08 AM
Some really good prices there Peter, well worth a look, I am getting mine done fairly soon. Was going to go down to Southend to have mine done. £550 all in with the water pump and thermostat.

andy-81
19-05-12, 03:33 AM
jib over onto .org and give a girl called kayliegh a shout, she and her other half are both mobile mechanics and travel natin wide some of the guys on there swear by her

stamford
19-05-12, 08:07 AM
I've used Russell and he'll travel. There is also lates based in Coventry.

Fred68
19-05-12, 08:23 AM
I did my Freelander V6 belts my self last year, did the KG's too !! Tbh it's not a difficult job even without those silly service tools! It's just long winded and the parts are a bit pricy :( it's made worse in my case as the Freelander has suffered HGF for the second time :( Luckily George is coming to the rescue with another V6 that has had the belts done!! (Thanks George) One day I'll do a guide on the belt change without the tools if there is some interest??

Nobrainer
19-05-12, 08:34 AM
I did my Freelander V6 belts my self last year, did the KG's too !! Tbh it's not a difficult job even without those silly service tools! It's just long winded and the parts are a bit pricy :( it's made worse in my case as the Freelander has suffered HGF for the second time :( Luckily George is coming to the rescue with another V6 that has had the belts done!! (Thanks George) One day I'll do a guide on the belt change without the tools if there is some interest??

I'm sure there would be. Even if just to put people off!

Fred68
19-05-12, 08:56 AM
I'm sure there would be. Even if just to put people off!

Lol

It's not as hard as has been made out tbh but you do need to know what you are doing!! Any good mechanic should be able to do it as long as they understand what they are doing!! That's why dealers use service tools to avoid the chance of messing it up!! I recon the tools are a pain to use anyway!!

big_wasa
19-05-12, 09:28 AM
I am going to do my own this summer, I am collecting the bits up now.

Any guide is allways good Fred.

Bits alone

Belts tensioner/idler and pump £175
Cam caps and bolts £30 are these really needed ???
I am going to do the stat at the same time. £60

Full service oil/filter, plugs and antifreeze £70

So a good £300 in bits and thats a good days labour (more like a weekend at my pace lol) But I do allready have the tools.

Lates comes well recomended but I allways do my own. :joker:

Maxxed_Ross
19-05-12, 10:46 AM
I wish Impreza prices were so reasonable... I've just had to do the 5 year service on my RB320 and just getting the belts done was over £600!

I did have the car back again in under 6 hours, so can't complain too much

POMPSKI
19-05-12, 10:47 AM
I would be very interested in that Fred, I have the skills but not so much the knowledge :)

Fred68
19-05-12, 12:18 PM
I am going to do my own this summer, I am collecting the bits up now.

Any guide is allways good Fred.

Bits alone

Belts tensioner/idler and pump £175
Cam caps and bolts £30 are these really needed ???
I am going to do the stat at the same time. £60

Full service oil/filter, plugs and antifreeze £70

So a good £300 in bits and thats a good days labour (more like a weekend at my pace lol) But I do allready have the tools.

Lates comes well recomended but I allways do my own. :joker:

I always do my own spanner work too!!
As for what is needed? It would depend if you use the MGR service tools or not? Also bear in mind that the tools are service tools and not cam setting tools!! Is far as I know these were not used in manufacture so the original setting should be more accurate so are best left!! I used them once and tbh found them a pain!! Without tools. All I did was set the crank in the safe position on the correct cycle and marked up the front pulleys with Tipex against the back plates and for good measure along a straight edge too. leave the rear belts fitted and change the front belt along with the tensioner pulley and idler pulley and for added piece of mind it's worth changing the water pump too. I don't undo the front pulley bolts or remove the cam caps so that saves on those. Then it's really only a case of getting the belt on and making sure the home made marks line up !! When certain it's correct mark the rear link belt pulleys with Tipex. I only undo inlet cam bolt so that one is needed as they are stretch bolts. I made a tool to stop it turning then it was loosened and tightened so as not to damage the belt with the bolt torque, but other than that changing the link belts is pretty straight forward!! But allow a good few hours although the ZS looks easy to get to compared to a Freelander!! There was a guide on the 75 oc site but it's been removed now :(