PDA

View Full Version : In need of some help!

KirkJames
19-05-12, 08:53 PM
I recently had my nsr caliper replaced at my local friendly garage as it was knackered. I had the discs and pads done too while it was in, so all sliders etc should of been greased as they told me they had, but now the osr caliper has seized. When they did the other caliper they did say the other one would probably follow suit at some point in the near future.

I am just wondering how easy it is to change it myself as I am not paying out 75 quid for the part plus the labour and all just before the MOT as well.

Before anyone says, the local scrappie hasn't got any and I can't get any second hand ones off ebay as I have to use the car again for work on Tuesday night and it wouldn't arrive in time.

I am really worried as I don't want to bake the pads and/or warp the discs as that's what happened on the other side last time.

Any suggestions, or any how 2's knocking about??

Thanks people!!

talkingcars
19-05-12, 09:05 PM
Don't know of a how to but they aren't difficult.

Eurocarparts are good for replacment calipers, about £50 each exchange.

big_wasa
19-05-12, 09:20 PM
Very easy, are you just freeing up the sliders ?

12+14mm spanner and a philips screwdriver for the disk screws.

Jack the car up and take the wheel of. Undo the two philips screws (they may need drilling out) undo the two bolts on the slider with the 12mm spanner. Lever the caliper of. If you can pull the pins out do so and clean and grease them up. (dont take the rubber dust guards out of the carrier they are not easy to get back in). If not undo the two bolts holding the carrier to the hub so you can do it on the bench.

Wind the piston back in clock wise with a flat bar, just a little to put it back to gether.

I think you are a little to far away but I would be happy to do it for you

James Raby
19-05-12, 10:30 PM
Good ol Norfolk us boys!!! Loely coastal erosion to help us allong on our way,,,,

KirkJames
19-05-12, 10:32 PM
Don't know of a how to but they aren't difficult.

Eurocarparts are good for replacment calipers, about £50 each exchange.
I did look on their website but the prices were quite high for the rears, but I think there is a new ish branch opened in Norwich so do some investigating into that one cheers!

Very easy, are you just freeing up the sliders ?

12+14mm spanner and a philips screwdriver for the disk screws.

Jack the car up and take the wheel of. Undo the two philips screws (they may need drilling out) undo the two bolts on the slider with the 12mm spanner. Lever the caliper of. If you can pull the pins out do so and clean and grease them up. (dont take the rubber dust guards out of the carrier they are not easy to get back in). If not undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the hub so you can do it on the bench.

Wind the piston back in clock wise with a flat bar, just a little to put it back to gether.

I think you are a little to far away but I would be happy to do it for you

I will have a look at the caliper tomorrow or Monday, but they are new slider bolts on there. I think it's the caliper itself but I will know more upon inspection. I am not sure about how to go about getting the spring from the handbrake off. Do I just loosen it from the nut inside the car then unclip the spring on the caliper. There is a couple of scrappies near Norwich so might be worth giving them a try but the chances of them having a 180 osr calliper are quite slim I think.
Thanks for the offer, it always seems to be that hardly anybody is from around here.

KirkJames
19-05-12, 10:33 PM
Good ol Norfolk us boys!!! Loely coastal erosion to help us allong on our way,,,,

Yeah tell me about it mate, damn sea air!! ;)

grimmy
19-05-12, 10:40 PM
Most likely not the caliper,it is most likely the pads will be sticking in the carrier,do as was said above and strip the sliders out and re grease but on refitting file some material from the top and bottom edges of the pads where they contact the shims in the carrier they stick all the time causing issues as well its overlooked a lot when people do the back brakes on the Zs.

KirkJames
19-05-12, 10:44 PM
Thanks Grimmy, I'll have a good look as soon as I get a chance!
:)

Fred68
20-05-12, 07:12 AM
You may find that there is lots of corrosion under the top and bottom shims that pinches the pads as described!! I tend to simply remove the lower shim as and the brakes work much better as a result!! They only serve to stop the pads rattling in the caliper anyway but tbh I've never heard them rattle without them !!

big_wasa
20-05-12, 07:39 AM
As above I doubt its the caliper itself. It will be the slider pins or sticking pads.
The new bolts that come with the pads just hold the caliper to the carrier on the sliding pins.

If your changing the whole caliper. Then there is a pin with an R clip and a big C clip holding the hand brake cable to the caliper and thats it. The Bracket does not come with a recon caliper so that needs to swaped aswell. Just two bolts.

KirkJames
20-05-12, 10:17 PM
Had a look today and found that the rubber gaitor around the piston appeared to be caught up around it plus the slider bolts didn't move all that freely. I have put some Comma Copper Ease on them and all seems ok at the mo. I will need to get another gaitor for the piston and for the slider bolts as they have tears in them too.

Here's a pic of the offender:

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/Johnwaynesboots/20120520_171958.jpg

grimmy
20-05-12, 10:43 PM
So okay i was wrong that is fubard you could buy the kit to refurb the caliper and change that seal but i have heard it is a pig to change, as has been said your best option would be to get a refurbed one and change it much easier in the long run

KirkJames
20-05-12, 11:19 PM
Yeah prob will get a refurbed one mate and stick it on for peace of mind. I have properly
cleaned everything and put comma copper ease on the sliders etc so should be ok till I come back from Tunisia in 3 weeks.

grimmy
20-05-12, 11:52 PM
Yeah prob will get a refurbed one mate and stick it on for peace of mind. I have properly
cleaned everything and put comma copper ease on the sliders etc so should be ok till I come back from Tunisia in 3 weeks.
as long as you aint driing it to tunisia lol.:laugh:

KirkJames
21-05-12, 12:57 AM
I love my zed, but my back would be fubar'd after that drive ;)

gary471
21-05-12, 06:34 AM
Had a similar problem a few weeks back. Thought it was sliders and sticky pads. Ended uP being the piston seized. Pig to remove but got it out and cleaned up with emmory and put back together. Never ran as smooth, like new now.
Looking at yours tho I'd get a replacement caliper, a. For less hastle and b. for peace of mind

peterzs
21-05-12, 10:28 AM
Think that the copper grease is a no no, was reading that it can dry out and instead of helping, actually stops the sliders sliding.

There is special brake grease that you are suppose to use.

Must admit I would have thought copper ease stuff was OK.

gary471
21-05-12, 11:44 AM
Used cv boot grease on my slider in the end as I heard the same

Fred68
21-05-12, 12:57 PM
Used cv boot grease on my slider in the end as I heard the same

Cv joint grease is all I use as it lubes even when it's dry!!

big_wasa
21-05-12, 03:32 PM
A new caliper needed after all.

KirkJames
22-05-12, 11:48 PM
I will bear it in mind about the copper ease stuff, I am going to have another look before I drive it down to Gatwick on June 10th anyway so I will give it another clean up and get some cv grease on the mofo!!

Mot before that on the 29th May. It wont fail for the slider bolt gaiters being split will it??