PDA

View Full Version : Brake recommendations - ZS180

angry_muppet
25-05-12, 03:38 PM
Ok, so my 180 is up for MOT, but the rear brakes could do with being replaced. The fronts areok for another few thousand.

I'm wanting something "fast road" but not excessively expensive. Full set is needed, ie discs and pads.

What are your recommendations? I did have Greenstuff (?) in the ZR

Jay-ZS+
25-05-12, 03:45 PM
Wouldnt recommend EBC tbh, never found them very confidence inspiring.

OE are highly recommended by some, other wise mintex or Ferodo. Depends how hard you want to brake and how much you want to spend.

angry_muppet
25-05-12, 03:49 PM
To be honest, I don't exactly brake hard, I tend to just slack off and bleed speed off. But I still like to know that they'll stop me quick when I need to.

Jay-ZS+
25-05-12, 03:52 PM
I'd go OE or Mintex personally. Cant remember which Mintex pad was most preferred. As standard the 180 brake setup is very good.

sneekyparrot
25-05-12, 04:23 PM
To be honest, I don't exactly brake hard, I tend to just slack off and bleed speed off. But I still like to know that they'll stop me quick when I need to.

Can't go wrong here or just a quality oe stuff with some Mintex / ferodo pads

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300390161449

Paul

angry_muppet
25-05-12, 04:44 PM
Minted drilled and grooved all round. Let's see how that works then...

Steve mead
25-05-12, 05:51 PM
I have those on mine, got them in Feb when I got the car. The car stands on its nose.

daytona365
25-05-12, 06:16 PM
Get OE (Mintex) for mine, as one of our suppliers is a X-part supplier!

Fred68
25-05-12, 06:41 PM
Minted drilled and grooved all round. Let's see how that works then...

Got the rears on mine and they are well worth the money !! I'm doing the fronts too when the pads are due !!

dean0
25-05-12, 07:02 PM
Got Mintex disks and pads on mine - full set £120, don't look quite as nice as the drilled but can't fault stopping power

Nobrainer
25-05-12, 08:23 PM
Always reading bad stuff about drilled discs cracking and not making any performance difference.

sneekyparrot
25-05-12, 08:35 PM
Always reading bad stuff about drilled discs cracking and not making any performance difference.

Trouble is the tinternet is full of 90% ***** where peoples spend peanuts on goods and then complain they are crap!!

There is a reason why u pay more for brembo's etc! Yes u pay extra for a name but u also get something that worksz

Steve mead
25-05-12, 08:42 PM
Never had a problem with m tec brakes and my car is hammered. I like my crap ones!

Nobrainer
25-05-12, 08:46 PM
You can also pay over the top for crap. Ebc regularly get slated and I recently trashed a set of black diamond pads in a morning. I've not had drilled discs but never had a problem with oe

Steve mead
25-05-12, 08:50 PM
Think it depends on how you drive, if you just potter about then nothing to worry about. But do you know any 180 drivers who just potter about!!!

daytona365
25-05-12, 08:54 PM
Think it depends on how you drive, if you just potter about then nothing to worry about. But do you know any 180 drivers who just potter about!!!

I potter about, just very fast pottering lol :laugh:

Steve mead
25-05-12, 08:55 PM
I noticed that when you flew past me the other day!!!

Jay-ZS+
25-05-12, 09:50 PM

Must admit I'm not familiar with this pottering about notion :hannibal:

Fred68
26-05-12, 07:54 AM

Drilled discs are more likely to crack due the uneven heat stressing :( but they do work better!!

Jay-ZS+
26-05-12, 10:24 AM
Drilled discs are more likely to crack due the uneven heat stressing :( but they do work better!!

I'd favour the dimpled discs over the drilled as the dimples still help to vent the brake gasses, but disperse the stress and heat concentration better than the drilled holes.

Although on a road car think the grooves and holes are more for looks rather than performance. Would have to really be hammering the brakes on the roads to notice the difference.

daytona365
26-05-12, 11:33 AM
For looks, I think you should be able to get coloured discs, to match your car!!!!!!!!

Fred68
26-05-12, 03:02 PM
I'd favour the dimpled discs over the drilled as the dimples still help to vent the brake gasses, but disperse the stress and heat concentration better than the drilled holes.

Although on a road car think the grooves and holes are more for looks rather than performance. Would have to really be hammering the brakes on the roads to notice the difference.

I tend to agree with you there. For normal road driving drilled and groved discs look good and perform well but for motorsport on a budget they are not so good. Obviously if you can afford to replace the discs for every race then there are performance gains to be had!! Vented discs will generally suffer from heat stress cracking less than solid discs but i'v seen them crack too. Oddly the more holes that are drilled the less likely they are to crack?? Look at some Porsche discs, they are almost more holes than disc!!