PDA

View Full Version : Track Car Reputation....

Smokey
28-05-12, 11:05 PM
Had a discussion with a few people now and the running thought for possible non commitment to driving the track car may be a 'too good to be true' type thing or maybe just a bit apprehensive that it isn't as described?

Could those who have been along to the event possibly leave me reputation if they felt it was a positive experience or is that too cheeky?

:D

peterzs
29-05-12, 08:30 AM
Think the vids show how well she goes. down to driver and how much they want to push.

To me, out on track its just the pleasure of going as fast as you want, without trying to break records.

Been round Brands a few times, and just thinking to yourself, been round there, done that, when you see the BTCC boys flying around, is worth all the effort of getting there and doing it.

Plus you can bore the pants of your partner, whenever "your" track is shown on TV. Been there, look at this corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wrong line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every one should have a go, and a relatively no risk, low cost way, with friends to help and hold your hand till you know the ropes. Sounds daft, but it makes it so much easier.

Smokey is a great inspiration and will be there to advise anyone.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Smokey
29-05-12, 10:00 AM
Inspirational, sounds like I've come up with a new life saving operation lol!

But seriously, you're right, once you've driven then track, it gives you a new appreciation when watching it on telly. I'm glad everyone so far has been sensible, keeping the car on the road (mostly!) and seemed to have a great time.

I hope others see that it is a pretty cheap and relatively risk free way of doing this.

My work mates have never been to anything like this so on 6th June, 3 of them will be there for the first time! Everyone is more than welcome to join us to encourage them along.

And thanks Pete for the great write-up, I'll work on world peace next!

stamford
29-05-12, 11:21 AM
It only takes one track day experience to sow the seeds and people become hooked. Once a few more have tasted it they will be queing up! If interest is not what you expected it is their loss, maybe highlight the fact that it doesn't cost anything to be a passenger, then it is one step from driving.

For me track days and other forms are a great way to get the red mist out of your system and to do it in a controlled environment. Safer for everyone.

ZS
29-05-12, 11:48 AM
I'd love to do a few more track day's. Have enjoyed every single one I have gone on so far :)

Just a shame there isn't a dedicated track car in the south ;) - as MG's on track are expensive!! lol

peterzs
29-05-12, 11:49 AM
Makes me laugh Smokey, I'm the wrong side of the Old Age Pension date and booked my one to go round Silverstone at Trax.

Who cares if you are up against 500 bhp stuff!!!!!!!!!

One thing in life is true, "Life is too short", do it now, or regret it for ever.

Every one has to go out on track for the first time, and I bet they all get the cobblewobbles, and doing it as a group, to encourage, explain and help, makes it a walk in the park!!!

Plus, I mean what I say, just dont know how you fit it all in with your other commitments.

Rock on!!!!

:-D:-D:-D

Nobrainer
29-05-12, 12:22 PM
I'd love to do a few more track day's. Have enjoyed every single one I have gone on so far :)

Just a shame there isn't a dedicated track car in the south ;) - as MG's on track are expensive!! lol

You wouldn't have far to look for one!

Smokey
29-05-12, 12:46 PM
I try to squeeze everything in but it is a struggle sometimes! Hence why my PC build is still waiting on final bits to be done! (Now vinyl wrapping it)

I always wanted to have this sort of project so glad it has finally come to fruition even though its stressful as I think the worst with every squeak and scrape I hear! (Clutch pedal developed a sqeak on saturday but has gone again lol!)

The best bit it, my son LOVES cars, he turns 8 next month and already he's been out on go kart sessions (8 is the usual age restriction here) and he loves it. So it's great to offer him a look at what he could do as he grows older.

My daughter, who was bored at Brands Hatch BTCC, came away from 2 passenger rides with a smile on her face and wants to know when she can do it again!

I also took a 15 year old, Tommy, round with me. He lives round the corner and his mum stopped and asked me about the car when Grimmy was over. I offered to take him up and he seemed to love it too, he is really in to cars and has a buggy project of his own.

peterzs
29-05-12, 02:20 PM
Start them young, cant go wrong.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ZS
29-05-12, 02:56 PM
You wouldn't have far to look for one!

If it wasn't for the... errr... "mods" I'm doing tonight (tee hee) then I was tempted to take the current ZS and livery it up similar to smokeys one... then turn it into a souther track car (would need to get rid of the Landie or the F though for another 4 seater, daily slug....)

Still we will see what the next couple of days bring!! :guns:

Smokey
29-05-12, 04:52 PM
That sounds like an awesome idea!

Steve mead
29-05-12, 06:19 PM
Track days are an excellent way to enjoy yourself at a fraction of the cost. I raced cars for 25 years. My last being a formula renault in the semsec series in 2006. The last race at brands was fantastic but here are the costs! The entry fee was £360 fuel tyres £300 general race day bits £100. Now thats just 2 races and a qualify session. So add licence club membership and other entries for the year, well thats why I stopped. Done a few track days not in the ZS as only recently got that, but open pitlane days with a couple of drivers is blooddy good fun.

ZS
29-05-12, 09:25 PM
That sounds like an awesome idea!

Ha :) - However the "modification" went to plan tonight! So no track car from me at the moment... http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=21376

Nobrainer
29-05-12, 09:38 PM
Well that's a bit of a bummer then. :tease:

I guess I should offer my car up then as that's always been the plan for me. Trouble is I'm so disorganised :slap:

I shall have a bit of a think about this before committing anything but its not really that much of a commitment so OK, enough thinking. I'll start another thread later...

Smokey
29-05-12, 10:56 PM
Interesting....