PDA

View Full Version : MOT Query

Bobdope2002
29-05-12, 02:45 PM
1) Ive lost the old MOT certificate Ive looked all over for it and i cant find it i dont need it do I??

2) My Test runs out on the 15th of the month what is the earliest i can take it along it usually says on the Certificate but because ive lost it like a numpty i dunno

Cheers

Tim

stamford
29-05-12, 03:09 PM
You can put in for it now, but seeing you don't have the current one you won't get a follow on from the 15th if it passes.

DuckFeet
29-05-12, 03:14 PM
Isn't it all on computer now? I'm sure I've done the same but I cannot remember if it followed on or not.

Bobdope2002
29-05-12, 03:15 PM
You can put in for it now, but seeing you don't have the current one you won't get a follow on from the 15th if it passes.

?????

Soory mate im being thick does that mean if i take it in now i will have to do it again after the 15th because i dont have the currentr certificate????

youve confused me

stamford
29-05-12, 03:21 PM
Okay Tim nice but...............

Your MOT expires on the 15th? If you booked it in today and it passed the test and if you had the current MOT, they would print it as passed today but expires on the 15th the following year.

If you do not have the certificate and it passed today then it will run from today and expire in a years time from today.

Bobdope2002
29-05-12, 03:21 PM
Panic over ive fount the certificate was for some reason in the boot of my car gawd knos why

Bobdope2002
29-05-12, 03:25 PM

Your MOT expires on the 15th? If you booked it in today and it passed the test and if you had the current MOT, they would print it as passed today but expires on the 15th the following year.

If you do not have the certificate and it passed today then it will run from today and expire in a years time from today.

andy-81
29-05-12, 09:52 PM
i think the middle part of your username is quite apt mate! ;)

ZS
29-05-12, 09:55 PM

Its changed Mick, its all computerised and these crappy ink jet printed on plain paper certificates mean if you loose them your mot date is preserved now...

Ritchy
29-05-12, 09:57 PM
yeah as above dont need the old certificate, its all online, up to 28 days ahead you can put it in:)

Bobdope2002
30-05-12, 09:11 AM
i think the middle part of your username is quite apt mate! ;)

Oi :laugh:

Well It Failed 1st Time one of My Zs's Has Ever Failed

Nothing Major but Needs New Rear Brake Pads

Two Advisories too

CV boot is slightly split And it has an oil leak somewhere but im not sure if its just old oil as ive never noticed it leaking on the floor

Hopefully George can sort it out for me.....

stamford
30-05-12, 10:28 AM
Its changed Mick, its all computerised and these crappy ink jet printed on plain paper certificates mean if you loose them your mot date is preserved now...

Is that assuming the MOT tester actually checks this before issuing a pass certificate? I don't think it is that foolproof. Come to think of it I do believe I forgot my ZS ticket and was the old green one, they obviously didn't check it on-line to gain the 3 or 4 days it was early when it passed.

stamford
30-05-12, 10:29 AM
Oi :laugh:

Well It Failed 1st Time one of My Zs's Has Ever Failed

Nothing Major but Needs New Rear Brake Pads

Two Advisories too

CV boot is slightly split And it has an oil leak somewhere but im not sure if its just old oil as ive never noticed it leaking on the floor

Hopefully George can sort it out for me.....

:yikes: a ZS failure! Unheard of around these parts pilgrim.

Bobdope2002
30-05-12, 11:02 AM
:yikes: a ZS failure! Unheard of around these parts pilgrim.

Tester said it had two different types of pad on it too

Ahh well Ive got a bit of money put aside for it so no big deal

Not a massive job For George and his merry Crew

Fred68
30-05-12, 03:47 PM
How did he know there are two types of pad fitted?? They don't have time to strip the pads out to check?? Most Mot testers wouldn't fail pads unless the braking was compromised or the reed was dragging!! There must be more than 1.5mm of friction material for a pass according to the guidance!! But they do add that it's at the testers discretion :( If you find the pads are serviceable you can appeal but it's not woth it for £20!!

Ritchy
30-05-12, 04:39 PM
Is that assuming the MOT tester actually checks this before issuing a pass certificate? I don't think it is that foolproof. Come to think of it I do believe I forgot my ZS ticket and was the old green one, they obviously didn't check it on-line to gain the 3 or 4 days it was early when it passed.

its all done online though mick, you need to log into vosa and put down whether cars passed or failed, need a smart card too now

Bobdope2002
30-05-12, 05:32 PM
Well So Much for it being a simple job

!) One caliper Pissing fluid everywhere Fucked (had to buy a new one £61)

2 Fit New Caliper Bleed it fine and dandy

3) Come to change The 2nd one, Would you have guessed it Seized up completely hence why the Pad on one side was bust and the other wasnt

4) Car in Bits At a mates house until tommorow afternoon Got to go buy another new caliper in the morning

Result Massive Cut of my wages gone on what should have been a £40 job at most FFS

Bobdope2002
30-05-12, 05:48 PM
How did he know there are two types of pad fitted?? They don't have time to strip the pads out to check?? Most Mot testers wouldn't fail pads unless the braking was compromised or the reed was dragging!! There must be more than 1.5mm of friction material for a pass according to the guidance!! But they do add that it's at the testers discretion :( If you find the pads are serviceable you can appeal but it's not woth it for £20!!

one side was green one side was black :D

Fred68
30-05-12, 05:53 PM
one side was green one side was black :D

That's a bit of a give away then!! Sorry it's turned into a nightmare :(

Bobdope2002
30-05-12, 05:58 PM
That's a bit of a give away then!! Sorry it's turned into a nightmare :(

TBH id put money away for it because i knew something was gonna go wrong i just didnt expect it to be the brakes

Thought it was gonna be Something suspension related or tires but

shud be fixed come 2 tommorow afternoon and my dads off work so i can borrow his car to go get the parts instead of having get the bus :D :bounce: