PDA

View Full Version : Southern Track Car?

Nobrainer
29-05-12, 10:30 PM
I've been having a little think and have decided to offer up my car as a 'Southern track car' whatever that means.

Its an 04, mk 1 180 in silver with 35,000 on the clock. I'm into doing track days with it so no real problem with others coming along for the ride (and drive of course!)

I've had it around Keevil once and I know I push quite hard so I'm not worried about wear and tear from others as long as the costs are covered.

Smokey
30-05-12, 08:11 AM
Its actually quite a big commitment mate, not to put you off. (I would love to see a Southern one!)
A few questions you really need to ask yourself....

Do you use the car as your daily drive?
Are you happy that others will drive it to the limit?
If it was crashed, can you do without the car?
Will you insure it for track days, is it finantially worth it?
Do you have the time to organise the trackdays?
Can you afford the trackdays yourself?
Will you livery it up? (dazzer could replicate mine)

I know you have spent a few bob on braided hoses etc, how much do you value the car?

In my scenario, I bought a cheap but running ZS and have spent only as much as needed to get it the way I wanted (with bucket seats/harnesses/stripped out/livery)

Costs:

I make pretty much nothing out of the track days. A simple breakdown would be this:

No. of Drivers: 4
Track Cost: £80
Petrol Cost: £70 -inc. travel to/from track
Additional Driver Cost: £30
Wear and Tear: £40 (£10 per head)
Session Time: 2 hours

Total Cost: £ 220 split 4 ways

This is only a guide, trackscotland and Knockhill track days have different costs and depending on distance from track, petrol may be more or less. Also, when I looked in to Oulton, the track costs were about double Knockhills! (always check additional driver costs!!)

I think wear and tear at £10 per head is fair.

Things do come up though, I had to buy brake fluid after the last session so straight away thats almost half the wear/tear money gone. The things that are likely to wear are brake disks/pads (£110 at cheapest) and tyres (£80 per corner for cheap rubbish or around £150 for something worthwhile)

It's not a whimsical decision mate and if you choose to go ahead with it, take as much advice from everyone as you can as it has been a massive help to me!

Good luck either way though, would look forward to a North/South track day meet!!!

peterzs
30-05-12, 08:15 AM
Sounds a great idea, have to have a word with Smokey to work out costs, comes down to how many will take up the generous offer.

Think Smokey puts a limit on numbers, minimum and maximum, to give reasonable track time for everyone, and to keep the costs to an affordable amount.

Something to chat about at Goodwood!!!!!!!!!

Smokey has beaten me to it!!!

stamford
30-05-12, 08:40 AM
I contemplated it with my own ZS but decided no purely because it is my car and have had it over 7 years so have become attached to it. Plus it would hurt me to see it damaged, daft I know but that's the way it is! If I had the space and money I would buy another one and convert that.

Smokey
30-05-12, 09:12 AM
It's funny you should say that Mick, I bought the track car as I wasn't a huge fan of the mk1 and knew what it's purpose would be. But over the last few months working on I and making it what it is, I have grown very attached to it!

ZRed
30-05-12, 09:12 AM
You always run the risk of losing everything 1 corner in and might not be you driving.

Nobrainer
30-05-12, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the input guys and your all right so I won't do it

Nobrainer
30-05-12, 09:30 AM
Only joking!
I have thought about these things and they are all very valid points.
I bought the car to track day and get me to work, but when it ends up off the road 1. hopefully there will be help to get it back on the road and 2. I can always cycle to work if I have to :-(
I'm happy that others will drive it to the limit. I do. And most people when driving someone else's car tend to be a little cautious. Of course there's always the drive it like you stole it guys (but that's probably me). Hopefully a small deposit will help with this.
I want to do the track days myself so even if no one wants to come its not the end of the earth, its just encouragement for me if people do.
I've been thinking of a bit of a livery anyway and have been chatting to a friend who does some design work already.
I will begeting something back from this hopefully -help with the car. The more help I get the better the car will be. I find its labour costs and time that are the killer so that's what I need -offers gratefully accepted :-)

Jay-ZS+
30-05-12, 10:08 AM
I buy a rich for life scratch card very couple of weeks, know if I won my car would be donated straight away! Oh well fingers crossed I win! lol

Personally I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable driving someone elses car round the track. You get to know your own car the bite of the brakes and the amount of slip of the tyres. Also the fear of binning it. Wouldn't mind so much trashing your own car, but would hate to trash someone elses!

Although when I read that make it doesnt half sound daft!!

talkingcars
30-05-12, 06:48 PM
I'm interested although my problem is time to actually get to track days.

Nobrainer
30-05-12, 08:07 PM
Just been doing some maths...
Bedford Autodrome: £175
Petrol there and back: £45
Petrol for the day: £50
3 extra drivers: £75
Wear and tear: £50
Total: £395 split 4 ways =£99 each

Keevil: £99
Petrol there and back: £30
Petrol for the day: £50
2 extra drivers (only options for 1 or 2): £40
Wear & tear: £50
Total: £269 split 3 ways =£90 each

How many people would be interested at this sort of price? These are a bit of a rough estimate.

Steve mead
30-05-12, 08:17 PM
Put me down, depends on shifts and plenty of notice.

peterzs
30-05-12, 08:25 PM
Keevil looks an interesting track, well long straight, and some bends.

Would be interested in that one.

Bedford few more miles up country, but still looks good.

Have you been to Castle Combe circuit, hear thats a good one.

Adamzs180
30-05-12, 08:43 PM
I like the idea of a southern area track car, when i finally get round to picking ritchy's yellow 1 up i am toying with the idea of a North west/midlands track car. It'll be a track car whatever, just depends how much i spend on the rebuild as to whether i could bare to watch someone else hammer it around a circuit.

talkingcars
30-05-12, 08:57 PM
£100 sounds good, still depends on being able to make the time.

ZS
30-05-12, 09:00 PM
Keevil looks an interesting track, well long straight, and some bends.

Would be interested in that one.

Bedford few more miles up country, but still looks good.

Have you been to Castle Combe circuit, hear thats a good one.

Castle combe is a nice circuit, but I love driving goodwood!

peterzs
30-05-12, 09:13 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Smokey
30-05-12, 09:40 PM
I think you might be a little bit more on fuel if thats a full 9-5 day.

I used just over half a tank on the two hour session, I must admit though, I don't calculate in travel expenses when really I should. To be honest, I feel bad charging £50-£60 for essentially around 15 laps of Knockhill and a few laps as passenger but motorsport is so expensive!

Southern tracks are so much more expensive than up here, are they full day prices or 2/4 hour sessions?

Nobrainer
30-05-12, 09:46 PM
They are full days. Brands have evenings which are also a possibility, about £120 I think. I think I have underestimated on the fuel too and possibly the wear and tear as well.

Smokey
30-05-12, 09:53 PM
Yeah for full days (7 hours) you will be looking at a minimum tank and a half (around £110) plus the tyre wear and brake wear will be much higher.

Nobrainer
31-05-12, 07:16 AM
Quick reassessment then

Bedford Autodrome: £175
Petrol there and back: £45
Petrol for the day: £120
3 extra drivers: £75
Wear and tear: £100
Total: £515 split 4 ways =£129 each

Keevil: £99
Petrol there and back: £30
Petrol for the day: £120
2 extra drivers (only options for 1 or 2): £40
Wear & tear: £100
Total: £389 split 3 ways =£130 each

Its a bit more but I think its still good value. These are both open pit events.

Nobrainer
31-05-12, 07:35 AM
Castle Coombe £195
Petrol there and back £40
Petrol for the day £120
2 extra drivers £50
Wear & tear £100
Total: £505 split 3 ways £168

Nobrainer
31-05-12, 07:47 AM
Brands Hatch evening £129
Petrol there and back £36
Petrol for the evening £50
2 extra drivers £2
Wear and tear £50
Total £267 split 3 ways £89 each

Definately more affordable and easier on the car! but a lot less driving time.

stamford
31-05-12, 07:48 AM
This just shows how expensive track days have become compared to a few years back. Also the reason why I have converted my zed back to road spec.

Nobrainer
31-05-12, 07:51 AM
Shocking isn't it. Imagine stumping up that £500 just for yourself. I'm tempted to buy another fireblade and track that instead

Smokey
31-05-12, 08:23 AM
Also shows how much more expensive English tracks are to Knockhill! I dont charge for travel there and back as I would be going anyway and my wear and tear is lower at the moment as drivers have donated spare parts like brake disks, exhaust, induction piping etc and also help keep an eye on things.

This may go up a fraction as more track days are completed but I am trying to keep costs down to make it a fun and affordable regular event.

It aint easy!

peterzs
31-05-12, 11:16 AM
Even split 3 or 4 ways still quite a bit of dosh!!!

I liked Brands Hatch Novice drives, 40 mins on track, but only £25.

I found the concentration just for the 40 mins was hard enough, plus the car never got really hot, or bothered!!!!!!!!!

Would have to see what firm commitment you got for one of the tracks.

Nobrainer
31-05-12, 01:59 PM
I've been to Keevil twice on my own/with a non-paying mate so if i arrange that and no one comes its not a big issue.

Those novice days look like a good idea but I can only do so many of them!
novice track day (http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx)

peterzs
31-05-12, 05:42 PM
Providing the cars not stripped out and looks fairly standard, should be OK.

I've done 3 at Brands, they do say if you do too many they might take your money and not let you out on track, if they think you are not a "novice".

mhamps
31-05-12, 06:31 PM
I fancy trying one of those days at some point.

Matt

Steve mead
31-05-12, 07:39 PM
I can't do a novice day at brands!!! Not unless I grow a beard.

daytona365
31-05-12, 07:49 PM
I fancy trying one of those days at some point.

Matt

The taster sessions are good fun............I did one on my birthday. Loved it.

Am deffo doing the other two they let you do........:mml::mml:

peterzs
31-05-12, 08:02 PM
I'll let you borrow mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve mead
31-05-12, 08:07 PM
A cunning plan is hatched!!