PDA

View Full Version : Fast ticking!

KirkJames
03-06-12, 11:18 PM
I have the VIS indicator kit in my car and they are operating at the right times etc but I noticed today that when kick in there is a fast ticking noise that increases in speed the faster I go. I assumed that this was the manifold as it does tick quite loud when you first start her up then quietens a little when warmed.
Have I been assuming wrong as they definitely work in terms of kicking in power at 3k and app' 4.5k. Could these be the cause of all the ticking??

grimmy
03-06-12, 11:37 PM
Does the tick come from the vis end of the plenum or the throttle body side.if its the throttle body side its the purge valve and it is a normal noise and does stop on occasion have heard about some being very loud and some being pretty quiet.

KirkJames
04-06-12, 01:35 AM
Not the purge valve, I can hear that as a separate sound. I get a rattling when cold from the manifold area which seems to quieten down when warmer but it's still there and increases with revs, but I am noticing a louder fast ticking when the green lights are on/vis working (from vis indicator) so I am thinking that it may well be them.

I am going to shove some wynns stuff in to see if that quietens things when cold, which I think is either the manifold or noisy tappets, but I think the fast ticking under acceleration is vis related.

grimmy
04-06-12, 10:21 AM
Mines was doing a ticking when cold from that area as well,changed the oils and the ticking dissapeared so its worth a bash.

KirkJames
04-06-12, 02:30 PM
Yeah I may well give it a go when I get back from holiday buddy. It had an oil change about 10k ago but I don't know how long ago last change was, so it's worth a bash!

Now just got to find a how 2 to do the fuel filter change :)