PDA

View Full Version : Out with the Old

sneekyparrot
05-06-12, 05:27 AM
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/1e77da45.jpg

she's been a good steed and never let me down and we have spent many many rpm's having fun but its time to say goodbye, at leaset she's going to a good home. :console:

But in with the new: :clap2:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/b772f7bc.jpg

she's in need of some further tlc but what a beast. Fell in love around 2-3 yrs ago when i first clapped eyes on it and now the precious is mine lol.

Big thx to Ross who waited patiently for my sale to get sorted, but i think he wanted to make sure someone had the car who will contine the good work and not just thrash the ***'s off it like previous owners

Anyway got loads of plan's most of them around a shell up rebuild but she's getting loads of new bit's and sorry Dave but i gotta put some glass back in the front windows :-)

keep u posted.

Paul

stamford
05-06-12, 08:07 AM
How many xmas's is that rolled in one? Nice :thumbsup:

ZS
05-06-12, 08:29 AM
Whats the insurance like on the new one in comparison?

peterzs
05-06-12, 08:41 AM
Think you are one lucky dude, to get your hands on Ross's pride and joy.

Did look a very professional job, when we looked at it at Stoneleigh.

Glad its gone to someone on here, who knows how to maintain and look after, such a great car.

Not such a wrench for Ross as well.

Keep the updates and pics coming.

:hooray::hooray::hooray: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

big_wasa
05-06-12, 09:07 AM
You have it then ....

Would love to have a look some time.

Smokey
05-06-12, 09:19 AM
When you get bored of it, let me know :D

BUCKYDEVIL
05-06-12, 10:42 AM
You Lucky Lucky Bstad, that is one awesome ZS, well done.
looking forward to the updates.

andy-81
05-06-12, 02:47 PM
thats the chimps banana's thats all that need be said hope you enjoy it pal

Quadcam24
05-06-12, 04:09 PM
congrats.....i dont have the glass anymore but easy to source ,lol
wheels look smart , what are they ?

hows it compare with your old zs ?

sneekyparrot
05-06-12, 05:00 PM
Whats the insurance like on the new one in comparison?

Had to pay additional £125 on top of the £675 i pay Aplan Thatcham but i have told them that i will be going with A Flux next time unless they do better!

Ross was only paying 600!

sneekyparrot
05-06-12, 05:02 PM
You have it then ....

Would love to have a look some time.

No worries M8. I am in hall green B'ham so drop us a line when u wanna take a look, it wont be coming apart for a couple of months yet.

Cheers

sneekyparrot
05-06-12, 05:28 PM
congrats.....i dont have the glass anymore but easy to source ,lol
wheels look smart , what are they ?

hows it compare with your old zs ?

No worries m8. not sure if i need doors yet hav not had time to look if there is anywhere to re fit the motors / glass?? or did they get sliced losing some weight?

Wheels are OZ superleggera but i need to locate another for a spare.

You just can't compare the 2 really, this is a different animal completely.

Don't get me wrong i loved the charged kv6, the noise at 6800rpm with the ITG and full Janspeeds was superb but i always wanted more. The problem was and is its just soo damm ££££ to get anymore power and then there was the question of how much could you push it before it went pop.

I can totally see why you went this route now, with the weight loss, Diff and suspension mods the car feels like a go kart. Small movements in the wheel produce a response and well the motor is awesome for the power it produces does not equate to the performance of the car, if i did not know i would be guessing at around at least 400.

without a shadow of doubt there is not a cat in hells my charged kv6 would get anywhere near this vag powered ZS but the trade off and there always is one lol, its very track focused but thats why i luv it! climb thru the cage turn the key, hear the pump prime, fire it up and the noise just means business.

she's a little lumpy at tick-over and likes the peddle jabbed whilst trying to start when hot but thats a small issue. I will get it on the rollers at martins again and he can make sure its all good to go, well that is until i cant help myself and fit the bigger injectors / high flow intake manifold.
:mbounce:

happy as a pig in pooo

Quadcam24
05-06-12, 08:03 PM
awesome :smile1:

Maxxed_Ross
05-06-12, 08:54 PM
so nice to see it's still on the site and in good hands!

any future plans for it?

big_wasa
05-06-12, 09:19 PM
:mbounce:

may have to have a go at diy.

MG ZS STE
05-06-12, 09:22 PM
We need a mids meet so all us brummies can have a good look over this beast.

Maxfly
05-06-12, 09:29 PM
Fantastic car, look forward to seeing more of it again:)

lawrence-zs180
05-06-12, 10:03 PM
very nice toy, glad to see after all this that you managed to get hold of her.
what do you have planned.. forged engine and bigger tubby, injectors, etc maybe?

peterzs
05-06-12, 10:09 PM
Here you go Maxfly, when we were lusting after it at Stoneleigh.

Such a great install, looked better than when it rolled out of the factory.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/STONELEIGH%20%20MG%20AND%20SPARES%20DAY%2019%20OF% 20fEB%202012/coventry.jpg

:wave::wave::wave:

lawrence-zs180
05-06-12, 10:10 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice

sneekyparrot
06-06-12, 05:46 AM
very nice toy, glad to see after all this that you managed to get hold of her.
what do you have planned.. forged engine and bigger tubby, injectors, etc maybe?

with the motor tbh not a great deal more, already has forged rods etc. Maybe larger injectors and a better manifold but no more boost or bigger turbo, i feel traction could then become a major issue.

for the rest of the car, oh yes big plan's. If you hav every seen some of the bikes i have built then anal attention to detail has my name all over it lol!

gonna involve carbon, poly-bushes, new suspension arms and loads of new pipe work and titanium :-))))))))

but first i gotta get it moted and a couple of track days in so i can get a feel for her, for sure i think harder springs maybe required.

P.

Jay-ZS+
06-06-12, 07:30 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltmow7Hhb51qb2p7r.gif

Quadcam24
06-06-12, 05:28 PM
uprated rarb would be a good move.

sneekyparrot
06-06-12, 08:08 PM
uprated rarb would be a good move.

You read my mind. Been looking on the ASR web site
At there uprated units which think is the one drew fitted to his but it's not a straight swap.

P.

MG6Turbo
07-06-12, 02:52 PM
First thing I would be doing is sorting out engine mounts and a front splitter.

Also when i drove it, the brakes were an issue.

Yes an awesome car, but it needs finishing to make it the ultimate track weapon, as to be fair, in its current state, its not stable at high speed. I was able to snatch 5th on the back straight at Donny, and the front end became very light above 125mph !

As for the way it starts from cold and hot, thats part and parcel of having aftermarket management. To be honest, its easy to get used to and becomes 2nd nature !

Both Ross and I discussed this car before he parted from it, and we both agreed it was no longer a car that could be used on the road and on track. The mods had taken it beyond that.

I believe trackdays are changing from what they used to be about.

The idea of a trackday, was to take your car and have fun and explore your driving limitations in safety( to a degree).

The problem is now, you have race cars using trackdays as test days as they are cheaper, hire companies hiring out exotic 2 seaters to people who dont have a clue !!

Road going cars that have been stripped out, fitted with roll cages and different suspension and brakes, and most have not been set up correctly which means they probably handle worse than a std car.

I remember when we first started trackdays, that most cars were road legal cars and hadnt been changed too much.

All I will say Sneaky, this ZS you have now needs serious setting up and sorting.

The last 2 keepers since Dave havent looked after it, and have just ragged the crap out of it.

Ross started to address the issues, and then he obviously found something else to replace this with that was more suited to him.

G

BrummieZS
07-06-12, 08:47 PM
Really nice motor mate, am I right in thinking it has an Audi/VW 1.8T engine in it?

sneekyparrot
08-06-12, 08:50 AM
Really nice motor mate, am I right in thinking it has an Audi/VW 1.8T engine in it?

Yes that's correct 1.8t bam with a few extras lol!

sneekyparrot
08-06-12, 09:00 AM
First thing I would be doing is sorting out engine mounts and a front splitter.

Also when i drove it, the brakes were an issue.

Yes an awesome car, but it needs finishing to make it the ultimate track weapon, as to be fair, in its current state, its not stable at high speed. I was able to snatch 5th on the back straight at Donny, and the front end became very light above 125mph !

As for the way it starts from cold and hot, thats part and parcel of having aftermarket management. To be honest, its easy to get used to and becomes 2nd nature !

Both Ross and I discussed this car before he parted from it, and we both agreed it was no longer a car that could be used on the road and on track. The mods had taken it beyond that.

I believe trackdays are changing from what they used to be about.

The idea of a trackday, was to take your car and have fun and explore your driving limitations in safety( to a degree).

The problem is now, you have race cars using trackdays as test days as they are cheaper, hire companies hiring out exotic 2 seaters to people who dont have a clue !!

Road going cars that have been stripped out, fitted with roll cages and different suspension and brakes, and most have not been set up correctly which means they probably handle worse than a std car.

I remember when we first started trackdays, that most cars were road legal cars and hadnt been changed too much.

All I will say Sneaky, this ZS you have now needs serious setting up and sorting.

The last 2 keepers since Dave havent looked after it, and have just ragged the crap out of it.

Ross started to address the issues, and then he obviously found something else to replace this with that was more suited to him.

G

Hi George,
The plan is a complete wheel up rebuild and move it on a level or 2 both the chassis and engine but the chassis first!

But interested in our thoughts re: engine mounts etc

I think the pads are shot , Ross did mention he thinks they weren't bedded in properly. They were ok on the drive home but I think they develop bad shakes when pressed on the track.
I will be rebuilding the calipers on the front and replacing the rear setup so that and some new pads / lines / fluid I hope should put things right. Temptation is a pukka setup from Martin but I think the monies can be spent better in other directions at the moment.

Cheers
Paul

peterzs
08-06-12, 09:59 AM
Sure it will be the ultimate track car when you get it us you want it, cant wait to see its progress.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

sneekyparrot
08-06-12, 10:22 AM
Sure it will be the ultimate track car when you get it us you want it, cant wait to see its progress.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

That's the idea Peter, just want it mot'd so I can drive it to the track and when the sun's out so I can cane the civic boys lol!

P.

Quadcam24
08-06-12, 02:59 PM
what brakes are on it ?

sneekyparrot
08-06-12, 04:39 PM
what brakes are on it ?

Brembodge from rob at rovertech but Ross could not remember if it was fitted with ds2500 or 3000's

I have used this setup on my charged motor with ebc yellows so I know the setup works.

P.

MG6Turbo
08-06-12, 05:57 PM
Sneaky,

When I was at Donny with the zs, Ross had 2 mates with him that were running them brakes, and they also had problems.

To be frank, the power this car has and torque means it needs adequate braking power. Brembodge cheap conversion isnt the way forward.

I would look at AP or Alcon.

G

sneekyparrot
08-06-12, 07:24 PM
Sneaky,

When I was at Donny with the zs, Ross had 2 mates with him that were running them brakes, and they also had problems.

To be frank, the power this car has and torque means it needs adequate braking power. Brembodge cheap conversion isnt the way forward.

I would look at AP or Alcon.

G

That's really strange and odd when u look at the spec, rs focus disc's and brembo calipers ??

Maybe it's in the setup and bedding in?

I am pretty meticulous with both, turning down the spacers to get everything where I wanted them to be??

Dunno really I could not get them to fail or play up
Where the stock setup lasted 15mins of hard work.

But I have to agree the car does require a 2nd thought with everything that is applied to it that's why I already have a plan for the brakes if I can't sort the current problems.

P.

Supercharged_Z
08-06-12, 10:40 PM
Car just needs a decent set of pads beded in correctly tbh. the other cars on the track that day were running flat out for 20 laps at a time with inexperienced drivers heavy on there brakes. heck my mate Paul had a set of 20 quid pads in that I gave him from when i changed the discs and pads.

Sadly I did not bed the pads in as I should have.

Looking forward to the updates Paul :)

Ross

DuckFeet
26-06-12, 08:10 AM
Congrats. I know someone who would do the plastic for glass front window swap if you want.

p_b82
26-06-12, 08:37 AM
glad to see that it has gone to a good home and is being properly sorted out and looked after again!

RE Insurance: give greenlight a ring/email they were very competetive and enabled me to drive the quote to below the previous years price for the past 2 years. (get the quote then ring Aplan and ask if they will match it :)