PDA

View Full Version : Brake cooling

Smokey
09-06-12, 11:12 PM
While I had the bumper off to fit the induction piping, I had the thought that the piping could be fed from both fogs, through the wheel arch liners so that there is direct air blasting on both front brakes.

I then never thought any more about it and put the car back together.

I just saw a track car with this set up (was a honda civic) ie induction piping pointing at the brakes.

Question is, is this worth doing, can it be done on the ZS, has anyone tried it, will it give me more time on track?

talkingcars
10-06-12, 07:23 AM
Are you suffering from brake fade when on the track?

If so yes, do it.

If not don't, you will over cool the brakes and they wont work so well.

A lot depends on the brake pads you are using.

Smokey
10-06-12, 08:31 AM
We are not doing enough laps to overheat the brakes, I was hoping this would allow us to stay out longer without overheating the brakes. The brake set up at the moment is completely standard.

talkingcars
10-06-12, 09:17 AM
Which pads are you using?

TBH even with groved discs and harder race pads you are unlikley to benifit from brake cooling.

Car 13 will be the best man to advice you on this I would have thought.

Smokey
10-06-12, 09:43 AM
Mintex pads. Just curious to know. Next year I plan to upgrade to braided hoses with DOT5.1 but just wondered if this would be a worthwhile addition.

Fred68
10-06-12, 10:07 AM
Braided hoses are a massive yes but you would be prudent to change all the rubber seals at the same time as the braided hoses allow much higher fluid pressures!! Fluid wise I like silicon but it gives a slightly softer pedal than 5.1!! It won't boil or absorb water like conventional fluid and it's paint safe!! As for cooling? I'v tested the factory set up for disc temperature after several back to back high speed stops. I found the disc temp never exceeded 350°C even stopping dead from 70!! So unless you are suffering from fade? It's not worth it and depending on the pads you are using could make cold or wet braking worse !!

sneekyparrot
10-06-12, 10:45 AM
Hi M8,
don't bother cooling yet until you have braided lines, flush the fluid and run something like EBC BF307 and run some decent pads. Then you need to measure whats going on using something like this.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=3811&action=product

proper cooling would need someway of ducting it thru the disc rather than just blasting it into the area and you would need a way to control the flow ie: blank it off when it rains etc.

Agree: run it past Peter at vulcan

Smokey
10-06-12, 01:02 PM
Cheers for the info guys.

Maxxed_Ross
11-06-12, 10:24 PM
decent disks and brake fluid won't need it dude, plus as other have said it can actually make things worse if you're not driving flat out