PDA

View Full Version : Help - Inner CV Joint removal???

Jay-ZS+
13-06-12, 01:11 PM
How the hell are you meant to remove the inner CV joint, The part that is full with grease, connected to the gear box.

Just in the middle of replacing the diff seal and can not get the inner joint out, haynes says to prise out but have been swearing at it and nothing is budging.

Also anyone ever managed to drop the sump without removing the exhaust manifold, Looks like it would be very tight.

stamford
13-06-12, 02:13 PM
Are you referring to the shaft out of the gearbox? If so I have had the same problem in the past, couldn't prise it from the gearbox and was thinking how far do I go before I break something!

Jay-ZS+
13-06-12, 02:19 PM
Did you manage to get it out Mick, struggling to get any force behind it with big flat head driver's.

stamford
13-06-12, 02:24 PM
I gave up and did the job another way! It was that tight.

Fred68
13-06-12, 08:29 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago while sorting the clutch. I ended using a bolster chissle and hammer in the gap between the shaft and box!! I only hammered it 3 or 4 times and out it popped??

Jay-ZS+
14-06-12, 07:03 AM
I ended up getting a few hammers involved used the back of one that was shapped abit like a chisel and wedging it in the gap between the box and the shaft and beating the crap out of it, glad I was replacing the seal as that was destroyed!

Wasn't that much fluid left in the box! Was well overdue!

One thing I noticed when refilling it was I had one litre of MG-Rover MTF94 and one litre of Landrover MTF94 as thats all the local parts store had. The Landrover one was a yellowish colour and much more viscous than the red Mg-Rover one which had a strong smell to it! The difference in colour didn't surprise me but the difference in viscosity did!

Fred68
14-06-12, 02:57 PM
You would think Mtf94 was Mtf94 !! I believe it's the same viscousity as 10/40 engine oil which I know has caused confusion over weather engine oil can be used? It can't though as the additives are very different!! Maybe your rover Mtf94 is a later oil or one that has now been superseded as the old oil out my box had a red colour?
I used Landrover Mtf94 in my box a few weeks ago which was thin and yellow!!

Jay-ZS+
14-06-12, 03:00 PM
Mtf94 is Mtf94 !! I believe it's the same viscousity as 10/40 engine oil which I know has caused confusion over weather engine oil can be used? It can't though as the additives are very different!! Maybe your rover Mtf94 is a later oil or one that has now been superseded?

The MG stuff was quite abit thinner than the Landrover stuff, its the same stuff just an interesting observation. Haynes says it can be topped up or refilled with 10w40 oil which wouldnt help with confusion of what to use! Dont believe anything I read in the haynes tbh!

ZS
14-06-12, 03:01 PM
Mtf94 is Mtf94 !! I believe it's the same viscousity as 10/40 engine oil which I know has caused confusion over weather engine oil can be used? It can't though as the additives are very different!! Maybe your rover Mtf94 is a later oil or one that has now been superseded?

You say that but the manual states that you can use 10/40 in the gearbox in an emergancy :)

Fred68
14-06-12, 04:28 PM
Rave says it's the same viscousity as 10/40 but didn't seem to make it really clear as to weather it should be used :( I do know that ordinary engine oil doesn't have the additive that protects the plastic on the bearings. Luckily Mtf94 is cheap enough to use.

Maxxed_Ross
28-06-12, 08:25 AM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago while sorting the clutch. I ended using a bolster chissle and hammer in the gap between the shaft and box!! I only hammered it 3 or 4 times and out it popped??

yup that's basically how it's done. With something wedged between the two a swift thump should have it popping out.

Remember not to loose the clip on the end, you'll need that for putting it back in again