PDA

View Full Version : New track car?? Or not!!

peterzs
15-06-12, 08:56 PM
Just bought this:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/MGF/IMG_1309.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/MGF/IMG_1291.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/MGF/IMG_1301.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/MGF/IMG_1314.jpg

Does go well, flip paint, 38k miles, 160 VVC, good to get back to a revvy petrol engine. Was going to buy a cheapie MGF, with a hard top, but that had gone and saw this instead.

Wife loves it, so no problem about turning the front garden into a car park!!!

Peter Best insurance 3000 miles a year £191. including recovery and legal.

:):):):)

welshone
15-06-12, 09:00 PM
Very nice and definitely NOT a track car. Enjoy it for the open roads :D

Smokey
15-06-12, 09:01 PM
NOT a track car!!! Chemical castration if you do!!

peterzs
15-06-12, 09:08 PM
The wife loves it, dont think I would be allowed to Track Day it.

Takes me back to my MG Midgets that started the MG love affair, swapped to the ZS after we both found the B's difficult to get in and out of.

The TF is a lot easier to get in and out.

Is a surprisingly quick little motor.

:yes::yes::yes:

vanishing days
15-06-12, 09:10 PM
No sell it to me

Dan1971
15-06-12, 09:10 PM
Very nice !

Not a track car .....

big_wasa
15-06-12, 09:19 PM
Had a ride but not a drive in one yet. I love them. Much nicer to look at than an mx5

peterzs
15-06-12, 09:27 PM
Son in law had a MX5, lost it twice in the wet.

Once coming off the dual carriage way Spur road, slight bend, ending up bouncing it across the central grass reservation and had to rejoin the Spur road.

Other time he took out a sign warning of speed cameras!!!

Adamzs180
15-06-12, 09:46 PM
I'll trade you my 180 for your tf pete. thats gorgeous.

peterzs
15-06-12, 09:52 PM
If the sun doesnt come out Adam, might be tempted.

:):):)

talkingcars
15-06-12, 09:53 PM
Another member of the ZS and F club.

Which engine is it, looks like a 160?

Why not a track car?
I've done the monaco in ours!

Once you get used to the different handling they can be thrown around the bends with ease. I'd put the MX losses down to driver error, and besides, a MX5 is not an MG, it's a japanese copy of a british sports car, but MG decided to go for a classic supercar layout instead.

talkingcars
15-06-12, 09:55 PM
Sorry, just read the post again, it is a 160, the 143 is nippy but driving our ZR160 back to back you feel the extra power so the TF should be quick.

peterzs
15-06-12, 09:59 PM
must admit it surprised me how quick it is, not much weight I suppose.

grimmy
15-06-12, 11:29 PM
That is a beauty,stuff the rest track the ***** out of it.lol

Lukeus101
16-06-12, 01:52 AM
I love Kates TF, Just did a trip to Cornwall in it and its the most economical car we have had between us. Just shy of 400 miles out the tank! Love the 160 though Peter ;)

MG 53 ZED
16-06-12, 05:15 AM
:yes: Very nice peter all you need now is the sun to be out.

stamford
16-06-12, 06:30 AM
You little tinker! :D that is stunning. I enjoy driving our F when i get the chance, now you know why i would be tempted to have a 160 if i didn't love my ZS like i do.

dean0
16-06-12, 06:52 AM
Very nice! enjoy

sneekyparrot
16-06-12, 08:04 AM
Son in law had a MX5, lost it twice in the wet.

Once coming off the dual carriage way Spur road, slight bend, ending up bouncing it across the central grass reservation and had to rejoin the Spur road.

Other time he took out a sign warning of speed cameras!!!

:punk: respect to the man lol!

Prob is rwd, not alot of power and Tryin to drift it off islands . Same happened to a m8 in an mr2 turbo who thought he would learn how to drift his car on a tight corner and just plant the throttle in 2nd :nugget:

P.

big_wasa
16-06-12, 08:23 AM
the tf would be awsome with a vag conversion :punk:

peterzs
16-06-12, 08:56 AM
Or a V8 Mustang engine, suppose its already been done with the Metro 6R4. Know that was a V6, so even more power.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/07/31/mg-metro-6r4/

Would be interesting!!! But expensive!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

andy-81
16-06-12, 03:22 PM
TRACK IT!!! Its crying out for it i can see it in its face!! but maybe try and keep it road legal!

carmadbaker
16-06-12, 03:27 PM
Nooo dont track it, poor thing! Keep her clean :-)
Which do u prefer to drive though? TF or ZS?!?

Nobrainer
16-06-12, 03:29 PM
Close your eyes and picture it with racing stripes, numbers etc, you at the wheel with a helmet on and your pulse racing. Does that offend you?

peterzs
16-06-12, 05:11 PM
Gets me going!! Nobrainer

And carmad, they are different animals, the ZS is effortless and drives well, the TF is a revvy little flirt, that likes the boot and sings with the revs.

:wave:

Nobrainer
16-06-12, 05:12 PM
Well you know what to do then ;-)

Ritchy
16-06-12, 05:15 PM
looks good, good it has the hard top too makes it a lot more secure.

peterzs
16-06-12, 05:21 PM
I'm a coward, think the wife loves it more than me, the idea was to use a cheap MGF as a track car, so I didnt bash up the yellow one.

The cheap one had gone but the 160 was waiting and its a one owner, 38 k, fully loaded, now if I can find a cheap 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

peterzs
16-06-12, 05:22 PM

Got to live outdoors as well Ritchy, thats why I went for this one.

ZS Phil
16-06-12, 05:59 PM
Looks lovely, the ZS and TF you have couldnt be any more different. I guess it wont really "come alive till 5" but when when the vvc kicks in how do you find the shove compared to the torque of the diesel?

peterzs
16-06-12, 06:21 PM
Think the derv just pulls away in the gears and you dont need to red line it, the torque comes in a lot lower down.

The VVC revs up quickly but needs the higher end of the revs.

If SDi's were fitted in the derv the power is very similar, think the TF being a bit lighter feels a bit quicker.

Suppose the best way to describe it is that the derv feels lazy but gets there, the TF is very buzzy and busy but also gets there. The TF is a bit more fun as you need to chase up and down the gearbox to get the best out of it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nobrainer
16-06-12, 06:22 PM
What are you a coward about? Its just a car. Persuade me to get sorted for one of these beginner track days and come along in either car. You'll be hooked. By the way, any come back from the goodwood incident?

Adamzs180
16-06-12, 06:36 PM
Suns due to come out on monday up here. you could always chop the roof off a zed and still swap me the tf

peterzs
16-06-12, 06:49 PM
Crayford conversion on the Zed.

Think I'll believe it when we see the sun for longer than 10 mins!!!

Cold with it down here.

Steve mead
16-06-12, 07:30 PM
Nice little machine, put it in the boot and bring it to shuttleworth!

talkingcars
16-06-12, 07:47 PM

Strange way of looking at it. The alarm system on the TF includes a proximity sensor or a mircowave sensor at head rest level so is as secure as any other car except the roof can be knifed, glass on a tin top can be smashed.

We spent most of our time away with the roof down, if it isn't raining get it down, at over 40 mph the weather flows over the top of the car. Even at 6am in summer I'll put the top down on the way to work. The only time I use the hardtop is in winter so it isn't as cold inside when I get in.

Hope to see you over on http://www.the-t-bar.com/ , the forum for MGF and TF owners that is as friendly as themgzs is to ZS owners.

peterzs
16-06-12, 09:24 PM
I'll have a look at that one sounds good, I was going to buy a wind stop, when I picked it up it already had one.

I go dopey when I see a car I want, tell every one on here, looking at K series 4 pots, look for mayo under the oil cap and on the dipstick, check the coolant for colour/levels.

Did I, did I, flip, brains go to mush and I just wanted it.

Did remember to check it all before putting the balance of the cash down, already gave him £50 as a deposit. Also got him to write that I had a 3 month warranty on the HG, but I think you get a warranty by law now a days.

He was OK, even took the hard top off so I could see that the hood was there and the window wasnt split.

:devil::devil::devil:

Taphouse
17-06-12, 01:21 PM
Nice one Pete, we've had 2 of these and it was my guilty pleasure. I loved them both.

Dan1971
17-06-12, 03:06 PM
First MG I owned was a TF. Great car that puts a smile on just driving along.

Mine was a 135 with a miltek quad exhaust .... Loved the sound. Bet this is a right little screamer .....

Maxfly
17-06-12, 05:23 PM
Nice one Peter, can quite believe your going to enjoy it one hell of a lot:D

peterzs
17-06-12, 07:20 PM
Nice one Peter, can quite believe your going to enjoy it one hell of a lot:D

Thats the plan, just need the weather now!!!

Maxfly
17-06-12, 07:54 PM
Thats the plan, just need the weather now!!!

Ach, heaters on and enough speed will keep ye warm and dry ;)

ZS
17-06-12, 08:01 PM
Peter, can I borrow your TF for about 20 mins? Its got a few bits I need for my F ;) lmao

Nice looking car, bet your chuffed with it!

Ritchy
17-06-12, 08:03 PM
Strange way of looking at it. The alarm system on the TF includes a proximity sensor or a mircowave sensor at head rest level so is as secure as any other car except the roof can be knifed, glass on a tin top can be smashed.

We spent most of our time away with the roof down, if it isn't raining get it down, at over 40 mph the weather flows over the top of the car. Even at 6am in summer I'll put the top down on the way to work. The only time I use the hardtop is in winter so it isn't as cold inside when I get in.

Hope to see you over on http://www.the-t-bar.com/ , the forum for MGF and TF owners that is as friendly as themgzs is to ZS owners.

can get into the soft top in under 5 seconds, pop the door, grab what you want and be away before anyones opened a curtain to see whats going on, and without causing any damage either,

Dan1971
17-06-12, 08:15 PM
Ach, heaters on and enough speed will keep ye warm and dry ;)

Anytime it was dry my roof was down. The Mrs bought me one of those leather flying jackets and a dearstalker for winter ..... Sorted. Heaters are awesome.

peterzs
17-06-12, 08:15 PM
Peter, can I borrow your TF for about 20 mins? Its got a few bits I need for my F ;) lmao

Nice looking car, bet your chuffed with it!

Chuffed to bits, son in law just put my mobile on the parrot bluetooth that was in the car, pity no one rings me!!!

:yikes::yikes:

Steve mead
17-06-12, 08:27 PM
Give us a shout if you go on any TF days.

peterzs
17-06-12, 08:39 PM
sounds like you know more about them, have to let me know!!!

Steve mead
17-06-12, 08:46 PM
I'll see what I can find.

ZS
18-06-12, 07:57 AM
If there are any F/TF days in the south, and I can get a baby sitter for at least one of my children then I might be tempted to pop along as well :) (Although I want to replace the interior and fix the body work first!! lol)

peterzs
18-06-12, 08:39 AM
Wonder if we could do a sub-model forum thingy????

Seem to be quite a few ZS, MGF/TF combo's.

:devil::devil: :beer2::beer2::beer2:

mattie007
18-06-12, 09:44 PM
Looks great Peter. I've been tempted by one of these for ages as they seem epic fun, good for trackdays and yet cheaper to run than a 180.
I'd want a 160 that's been well looked after. Would £2k be enough do you think? Only issue I can think of is that im 6ft 1, would I look like Clarkson in that Daihatsu noddy car?!

peterzs
18-06-12, 09:58 PM
Some cheap ones out there, I went down to the garage as he had a MGF on Gumtree, 98 reg 1.8 with a hardtop for £1250, saw it just posted on Friday, busy Sat and at Bromley Sunday. Drove by Monday but he had sold it, had a T reg red one and the 03 Typhoon 160.

Its a one woman owner, 38,000 miles and looks like its been looked after.

Surprised me how quick they go, red lines at 7100 revs, thats nearly twice my dervs top revs.

I have a feeling there was a mod to the seats to lower them down a bit, dont get to much of a view out of the windscreen, but you get used to it.

:-D:-D:-D

zsserbia
19-06-12, 09:08 AM
That little car looks very well looked after, nice find and happy motoring!

peterzs
19-06-12, 09:24 AM
That little car looks very well looked after, nice find and happy motoring!

Cheers, it is good to play with the gearbox and get nearly twice the revs of the derv, quite different way of driving.

Sounds nice, like a baby V6!!!!!

Quite fast as well.

:-D:-D:-D:-D

stamford
19-06-12, 11:17 AM
Are you sure you can cover 3k miles a year Pete? I reckon you'll lose your licence within 500! :laugh:

No wonder Chris was keen for you to get it, she wants to drive it ;)

peterzs
19-06-12, 11:28 PM
And I was going to offer a drive up to Knockhill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stamford
20-06-12, 07:32 AM
And I was going to offer a drive up to Knockhill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice and cosy ;)

DuckFeet
25-06-12, 01:49 PM
I have a feeling there was a mod to the seats to lower them down a bit, dont get to much of a view out of the windscreen, but you get used to it.

Correct. Take seat out, cover off, remove springs, recover and refit. Or something like that.

P.S. That car is far too pretty to track.

peterzs
25-06-12, 04:37 PM
Cheers, back to the TD I reckon!!

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 05:14 PM
ive seen an MGF for a decent Price but Hmmmm DO IO Or Dont i

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201223474946665/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/model/tf/make/mg/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/st147eh?logcode=p

grimmy
25-06-12, 05:48 PM
ive seen an MGF for a decent Price but Hmmmm DO IO Or Dont i

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201223474946665/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/model/tf/make/mg/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/st147eh?logcode=p

If its a good un tim do it,i would love a tf my cousin has one and its an awesome wee car.

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 05:55 PM
70k though????

Ive seen a few on autotrader with 50k on for the same price with a full leather interior

peterzs
25-06-12, 05:59 PM
The TF 160 has a quicker 0-60 time than a 180, beats it by 0.4 of a second, suppose they are lighter and VVC.

I was going to buy a MGF, hard top etc for £1295, but that had gone. Garage had the 03 reg tf in Typhoon with all the goodies, a/c, spots, hard top, cost a bit more but still a lot of car for the money.

Best thing is to take the MGF out for a drive, you can tell if it feels right and you enjoy driving it, within 1/2 a mile or so.

That one looks a good buy, are nippy little things.

Makes my ZS Derv feel so big, these tf's seem to fit round you.

Dont think you will be disappointed.

:beer2::beer2:

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 06:08 PM
The TF 160 has a quicker 0-60 time than a 180, beats it by 0.4 of a second, suppose they are lighter and VVC.

I was going to buy a MGF, hard top etc for £1295, but that had gone. Garage had the 03 reg tf in Typhoon with all the goodies, a/c, spots, hard top, cost a bit more but still a lot of car for the money.

Best thing is to take the MGF out for a drive, you can tell if it feels right and you enjoy driving it, within 1/2 a mile or so.

That one looks a good buy, are nippy little things.

Makes my ZS Derv feel so big, these tf's seem to fit round you.

Dont think you will be disappointed.

:beer2::beer2:

I might go take a look at that one

peterzs
25-06-12, 06:46 PM
We will have to have a new F, TF forum at this rate.

Hope its a good one, dont do what I did, didnt look at the oil filler, didnt look at the dip stick, didnt look at the colour of the coolant in the expansion bottle, didnt look underneath.

In fact just jumped in it, took it for a test drive and wanted it!!!!

Only when I got back home did I remember, all the things to check list.

I'd just take it for a reasonably long drive to get it up to temperature, and make sure it doesnt go over 1/2 way on the temp gauge, they also have an oil temp gauge so check that. Stick it in 5th. and put your foot down just to make sure the clutch doesnt slip. Park on a hill if you can and make sure the handbrake holds.

Good luck with it and remember there are a few out there, tell the guy you are going to view a 160 thats the same year and £1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yes::yes::yes: :laugh::laugh:

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 06:55 PM
We will have to have a new F, TF forum at this rate.

Hope its a good one, dont do what I did, didnt look at the oil filler, didnt look at the dip stick, didnt look at the colour of the coolant in the expansion bottle, didnt look underneath.

In fact just jumped in it, took it for a test drive and wanted it!!!!

Only when I got back home did I remember, all the things to check list.

I'd just take it for a reasonably long drive to get it up to temperature, and make sure it doesnt go over 1/2 way on the temp gauge, they also have an oil temp gauge so check that. Stick it in 5th. and put your foot down just to make sure the clutch doesnt slip. Park on a hill if you can and make sure the handbrake holds.

Good luck with it and remember there are a few out there, tell the guy you are going to view a 160 thats the same year and £1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yes::yes::yes: :laugh::laugh:

Cheers for that Pete :D

where shud the oil temp get too???

theyres one in Bolton with 50k on the clock for the same price and has full eathers interior too

one question though what are they like as an everyday drive....i dont do many miles admidtadley but dont wanna be cramped up........

peterzs
25-06-12, 07:19 PM
Think its running 120 ish on the oil side, about a 1/4 on the gauge.

I find them comfortable, seats are good, I'm not that tall, more wide, think if you are on the tall side you have to wriggle down a bit to see under the hood front rail.

In the ZS you sit up straight, in the tf you are more laying down, makes it feel like a F1 drive. (or very nearly).

Wife says it feels as roomy as the ZS, more leg room. Wouldnt worry me having it as a every day drive. Saying that Tim, I'v only had it a couple of weeks!! But its been out more than the ZS!!!!

Check the exhaust system at the back, need to look under the rear bumper, can look very rusty and cost a bit to renew!!

;););) :wizard::wizard::wizard:

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 07:31 PM
well im 6 ft 6 we may have a problem

peterzs
25-06-12, 07:46 PM
There was a mod to reduce the height of the seat, so you sit lower, but a test drive first, I reckon.

Bobdope2002
25-06-12, 09:04 PM
Hmmm the same garage has another car that I'm interested in too so will have too see