PDA

View Full Version : Nearly back to ZS ownership :)

Dav
17-06-12, 05:49 PM
As my saloon disappeared off into the sunset the other week, I have a ZS shaped hole in the car park. But, my bro-in-law spotted this little beauty just round the corner from him...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/dd9293ef.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/5da38b1d.jpg

It's up for £1600, but I've not had a proper look yet. At that price, could there be something wrong? As its only a 120 :\

But if all is well, she could very well be mine :)

Dan1971
17-06-12, 06:10 PM
Looks good mate - parking sensors too ....

Enright
17-06-12, 06:52 PM
...AND a sunroof! That exhaust doesn't look bad either.
Ever considered VVCing one? Could be a prime candidate.

Dav
17-06-12, 07:10 PM
...AND a sunroof! That exhaust doesn't look bad either.
Ever considered VVCing one? Could be a prime candidate.

Funny you should mention that actually, I was chatting to my bro-in-law about VVCing it, I could be a distinct possibility lol

Would that be just a case of VVC engine an loom/ECU and away I go?

peterzs
17-06-12, 07:23 PM
Hope it works out OK.

:wave

MG 53 ZED
18-06-12, 06:24 AM
:thumbsup: Looking good, sunroof is a nice option not that mine has had much use this year lol, good luck with that ZS hope she turns out to be just the one for you.

stamford
18-06-12, 07:19 AM
Worth following up.

Enright
18-06-12, 07:44 AM
Funny you should mention that actually, I was chatting to my bro-in-law about VVCing it, I could be a distinct possibility lol

Would that be just a case of VVC engine an loom/ECU and away I go?

I don't know - I've never done it. But I know of someone who has. However I don't think it would be dead straightforward as with the Mk2 the ECU and BSI are coded to one another. You may be able to get almost there and ready to go, but then have your immobiliser chip from your Mk2 ECU soldered into the 160 ECU.
That would certainly give it the power and the looks - in fact with a remap you could be pushing 180bhp from a 4 pot!
Makes you wonder why MG never officially bothered doing it as a proper production run.

ZS
18-06-12, 07:59 AM
in fact with a remap you could be pushing 180bhp from a 4 pot!
Makes you wonder why MG never officially bothered doing it as a proper production run.

I think you answered your own question there ;) - why would MG want to release a car that competed with its Top of the Range V6 model (ZT190 and ZS180)?... unless they found a way to increase the V6 power first!

Dav
18-06-12, 09:17 AM
I don't know - I've never done it. But I know of someone who has. However I don't think it would be dead straightforward as with the Mk2 the ECU and BSI are coded to one another. You may be able to get almost there and ready to go, but then have your immobiliser chip from your Mk2 ECU soldered into the 160 ECU.
That would certainly give it the power and the looks - in fact with a remap you could be pushing 180bhp from a 4 pot!

The soldering job, is that something Z and F tuning could do? Coz then they could remap it at the same time. Have you got any links to the bloke that did the conversion first time?

Enright
18-06-12, 10:36 AM
The soldering job, is that something Z and F tuning could do? Coz then they could remap it at the same time. Have you got any links to the bloke that did the conversion first time?

I’m not familiar with Z & F tuning so couldn’t say. I’m sure it would at least be worth a phone call to ask them though.
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a number for the guy – I bumped into him at a scrap-yard in Derby, and apparently he runs another local breaker’s. Again – worth a quick chat to find out more, after all information doesn’t cost anything.

Dav
18-06-12, 11:39 AM
I tried their website, but they use Flash and I have an iPhone :( I'll email them later with a few questions and see what they come back with

Enright
19-06-12, 07:57 AM
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a number for the guy (that did the VVC conversion) – I bumped into him at a scrap-yard in Derby, and apparently he runs another local breaker’s. Again – worth a quick chat to find out more, after all information doesn’t cost anything.

Here we go - the only details I got were the names Dave + Ant and the number 07595 704340 on an oily scrap of paper. The number may not even work - I've never tried it. But if you get the car it could be worth investigating with them.
As far as I would be concerned, the first thing I'd want to know would be if theirs was a Mk1 or Mk2, and what their feelings are about the possibility of a Mk2 VVC conversion.

s18had
19-06-12, 08:07 PM
it looks like one i was watching on ebay with hgf for £900 so may have been fixed to sell on. it was 6 or so months ago itwas on ebay if its the same one

Dav
19-06-12, 10:58 PM
Have you got a link to it?

EDIT: Ignore that, I didn't read your post properly lol

Was the one you were watching in Southampton?

Dav
19-06-12, 11:02 PM
Here we go - the only details I got were the names Dave + Ant and the number 07595 704340 on an oily scrap of paper. The number may not even work - I've never tried it. But if you get the car it could be worth investigating with them.
As far as I would be concerned, the first thing I'd want to know would be if theirs was a Mk1 or Mk2, and what their feelings are about the possibility of a Mk2 VVC conversion.

Thank you for that, I will note it. Still trying to get in contact with the seller, have a sad feeling it's been sold :(

Dav
13-07-12, 08:29 AM
So, after not seeing it for a while, I thought it had been sold. But I get a text from my bro-in-law with a picture, saying its still for sale, and now at only £1400...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/6dbb407f.jpg

Thing is, I've sorted out a car for me now, but I really really want this. Does anyone know of any decent multi car policies lol

ZS
13-07-12, 09:19 AM
Thing is, I've sorted out a car for me now, but I really really want this. Does anyone know of any decent multi car policies lol

Adrian flux "mirror" your no claims on a second car... dunno if that helps? lol

talkingcars
13-07-12, 05:54 PM
Try tradex for a homefleet policy.

Mark S
13-07-12, 07:00 PM

because the cost to produce a vvc unit is more than cost to produce a v6.

MGR had this dilemma with the ZT, a 1.8vvc would have been OK and an option against the 160bhp 2.5. It would have delivered the economy that was desperately needed too, but the vvc would have cost more than the v6, so it was a marketing no go.
That's why they stuck a turbo on a 1.8 in the ZT, it was much cheaper to produce than a vvc, and for the same reasons, marketing a 160bhp zs 1.8 for more money than a 180bhp v6 would not have been logical.
This said, there were a few 160bhp vvc zs's that left the factory.

Dav
13-07-12, 07:02 PM
Just had a look at Tradex, I need 3 or more cars for a policy from them :(

Any way, just been for a look at it, as well as the sunroof and parking sensors, it has the auto climate control as found in the 180, tinted rear windows and a fold out DVD/satnav headunit :) looking a little too good to be true...

Dan1971
14-07-12, 09:33 AM
I'm with Admiral on a multi-car and they applied my full NCB to my 180 too. £200 fully comp to add it onto the policy with my Mrs' C4 and my BMW.

Dav
14-07-12, 11:58 AM
Had a look on Admiral, they wanted nearly £1400 for the ZS and my X plate Scenic with me and the mrs on. Was even more with her off lol

Got a feeling this may be a no go if insurance is that much.

And, he said head gasket is done but has no receipts... Sounds a but suspect...

Bobdope2002
14-07-12, 01:02 PM
if hg goes its cost you £2k at most still seems a bargain

check for the clutch hydralics though bud

Sonic_160zr
14-07-12, 02:48 PM
because the cost to produce a vvc unit is more than cost to produce a v6.

MGR had this dilemma with the ZT, a 1.8vvc would have been OK and an option against the 160bhp 2.5. It would have delivered the economy that was desperately needed too, but the vvc would have cost more than the v6, so it was a marketing no go.
That's why they stuck a turbo on a 1.8 in the ZT, it was much cheaper to produce than a vvc, and for the same reasons, marketing a 160bhp zs 1.8 for more money than a 180bhp v6 would not have been logical.
This said, there were a few 160bhp vvc zs's that left the factory.

They were also looking to replace the VVC and use a 1.8T across the range, with the EU emissions laws that were coming in at the time, the VVC engine didnt meet the requirements. Another reason for the use of the 1.8T's was because the tourqe was much lower in the rev range compared to the VVC engines making it more suited to the heavier ZT and 75 models.

ZandF tuning should be able to get round it, specially as they did a lot of work on the engine management.

Cheers,
Matt

MG6Turbo
14-07-12, 02:53 PM
We did a vvc zs and found it to be a very good conversion.

Mk1 and mk 2 do differ in alarm systems.

Z and F tuning would be able to sort the ecu issues however.

G

Dav
14-07-12, 04:32 PM
Had a drive of it today, was a lovely drive and sounded amazing. But... There looked to be a dodgy oil-like substance at the back of the engine, which put me off. Also, the climate control didn't blow on any speed!! Surely that is a big problem, and to top it all, the sunroof stuck open and it was raining!!!

Safe to say, I think I'm going to give this a miss :(

v6bloke
21-07-12, 09:11 AM
I dont see the point in vvc conversions on the zs.. a v6 zs180 produces more power/torque and sounds better to boot plus they are now cheap to buy and not really that expensive to run especially compared to scoobies/ evo's et al.

James Raby
23-07-12, 10:05 PM
Had a drive of it today, was a lovely drive and sounded amazing. But... There looked to be a dodgy oil-like substance at the back of the engine, which put me off. Also, the climate control didn't blow on any speed!! Surely that is a big problem, and to top it all, the sunroof stuck open and it was raining!!!

Safe to say, I think I'm going to give this a miss :(

Have you EVER purchased a car that didn't need somethiñg?? It's the enjoyment of making it better :)

Dav
24-07-12, 05:29 AM
Have you EVER purchased a car that didn't need somethiñg?? It's the enjoyment of making it better :)

Yea I see what you mean, but when the bits that are wrong could add up to costing half what the car is for sale for, you've gotta think if it's really worth it...

MG6Turbo
24-07-12, 07:11 AM
I dont see the point in vvc conversions on the zs.. a v6 zs180 produces more power/torque and sounds better to boot plus they are now cheap to buy and not really that expensive to run especially compared to scoobies/ evo's et al.

There is a good point to doing it actually, that is why WSR got rid of the v6 in favour of the 4 pot despite the v6 having more torque and similar power.

It is down to the weight on the front end. The car becomes better balanced and therefore handles considerably better, which it turns makes it a quicker car if driven more enthusiastically.

I have done the conversion, and put a 180 against the vvc zs, and the vvc zs believe it or not was just slightly quicker off the mark. Midrange in 3rd will see the v6 pull ahead slightly, but thats to be expected. However, if you like revving a car, then the vvc zs puts a grin on your face. Plus the tuning potential of the k series is far greater.

Only my opinion of a conversion i have personally done and driven.

G