PDA

View Full Version : MOT failures?

mattie007
01-07-12, 01:54 PM
Cars running well at the moment except for a few issues.
As the MOT is due soon I need to know if having the SRS light on, a cracked fog light and squeaking rear brakes are failures?

WalkerDnB
01-07-12, 02:00 PM
It will fail on the SRS light I doubt it would fail on the rear breaks or cracked fog light tho
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

After a quick google search It looks like front fog lights are not mot tested anyway.

Maxxed_Ross
01-07-12, 02:03 PM
it will fail on the cracked fog light if they are going by the book

WalkerDnB
01-07-12, 02:08 PM
it will fail on the cracked fog light if they are going by the book

I would just tape it over rally style to be on the safe side :)

peterzs
01-07-12, 02:59 PM
My SRS light came on just after I bought it, £££££££££££££'s in the garage I thought.

But under the two front seats there are two connectors with wires in and out. I sprayed with WD40, quick wriggle, push and pull, and the light has been out since.

mattie007
01-07-12, 07:02 PM
Thanks all :)
I've just bought a foglight to be on the safe side. Are mk1 and mk2 fogs the same?

Southside_ZS
01-07-12, 08:07 PM
Thanks all :)
I've just bought a foglight to be on the safe side. Are mk1 and mk2 fogs the same?

Depends on the year, the earlier ones had different bulb holders which wont fit the later fogs. Only way round it is to cut the plugs on your wiring loom and either fit earlier plugs or make your own with spade connectors.

WalkerDnB
01-07-12, 08:09 PM
If it came to it couldn't you just remove the fog lights all together? the mot tester wont know if it came with them or not

Maxxed_Ross
02-07-12, 05:24 AM
yeah that works too. Can't test them if they're not there!

stamford
02-07-12, 08:03 AM
Front fogs are not part of the test (unless they changed this for 2012)

If the brakes are okay and within the limits then fine.

Constant SRS light will be a failure, they need to see it illuminated on ignition then see it extinguish when engine started. Most likely under seat connector, you could always chuck a resistor across the terminals to find the offending one. This will bypass the light, I used them for when I had the seats and seatbelts removed.

Maxxed_Ross
02-07-12, 08:05 AM
fog lights are tested as part of the lighting, if the car has them fitted they have to work. Oddly the only light not tested is the reversing light!

stamford
02-07-12, 08:09 AM
Unless the regs have changed for 2012 then they do not test front fogs at all. I know this as at one point I had one fitted which was broken and the other removed for a CAF. I checked the VOSA website and it stated nothing about testing them, only referred to the rears.

Maxxed_Ross
02-07-12, 08:16 AM
hmm that's weird, because a friend of mine failed an mot for having a broken light but they passed him about an hour later after he removed them both in the car park

peterzs
02-07-12, 09:54 AM
hmm that's weird, because a friend of mine failed an mot for having a broken light but they passed him about an hour later after he removed them both in the car park

Wonder if he was using "could cut a passer by", thing. Thats why rusty edges are OK long as its not structural, when you put gaffa tape over it.

Depends if "broken", meant that it didnt light up, or the glass was cracked!!

:yes::yes::yes:

Maxxed_Ross
02-07-12, 10:01 AM
it was physically ok but didn't light up

peterzs
02-07-12, 10:05 AM
Knocks my theory on the head.

:yes::yes::yes: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

stamford
02-07-12, 10:17 AM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=18852&highlight=regs

Has the link to the 2012 MOT test pdf attachment. Front fogs are not mentioned, only rear ones.

Fred68
02-07-12, 12:22 PM
The front fog light thing is down to the individual tester and his interpretation of the rules I think? I'll ask my tester about it when my Z has it's Mot! But I'm pretty sure he didn't ask me to put them on last year when testing the head lamps.