PDA

View Full Version : Loads of little jobs done!

mattie007
04-07-12, 06:29 PM
Had the afternoon off work so fixed a load of niggles on the ZS.
Changed the centre console and armrest for one that wasnt scratched and cracked, new bulbs on the heater control panel, reattached the boot carpet, got the radio working on my stereo, topped up all fluids, cleaned alloys, interior wash, changed the plastic around the steering wheel as it was broken, polished out some scratches and fitted a new dash pocket! 4 hours well spent :D

Only down side is my right rear caliper is stuck on and has ruined my new discs and pads.
Also I'm loosing around half a litre of coolant every few months, hoping its just the inlet manifold gasket.
And lastly I took both airbag connectors apart and sprayed with lots of wd40 but the light is still on :(

daytona365
04-07-12, 06:55 PM
How did you find " changing the heater control light bulbs" ?

I got to do mine, so any advise would be appreciated.......

mattie007
04-07-12, 07:18 PM
Its a 'centre console out' job im afraid, but if you've done it before then you can have it out in 10 minutes.
Once the dash is out of the way, undo the 4 gold screws that hold the heater control panel in place and carefully pull it out a few inches. You will find 2 small bulbs at the top of the panel in between each of the 3 knobs. Simply pull out an replace. :)

theboynoz
04-07-12, 08:53 PM
Nice 4 hours work there! Hope you find the coolant leak and it isn't terminal!!! I have a similar issue, doesn't appear to be the head nor is it the Inlet (as far as i can see) but lately it seems to have stopped....

Zippy Saloon
05-07-12, 05:29 AM
Get hold of a small mirror and torch and have a good look at heater control valve (mounted on bulkhead just below ecu).
Mine was leaking a few years ago and I think its pretty common.

theboynoz
05-07-12, 06:39 AM
Ah yes, how do i always forget these parts, normally the first part to go on any FORD i have owned too, plastic parts that just decay over a matter of a few years and then give up usually resulting in loss of coolant onto the mani! Lol

If they use a plastic union between the heater valve and hose then i expect that will be where my fault is. Will use that tip myself thanks!

mattie007
05-07-12, 08:50 AM
There is damp patch around the valve. I'll get that looked at, thanks for the tip. Expensive fix?
Also, I think there must be a third bulb as the blower speed isn't lighting up! I'll have to live with it!

Zippy Saloon
05-07-12, 04:27 PM
It was more expensive than I was expecting!
£33!!!!!
Maybe trip to scrappy?

Did strip my old one down afterwards and think it was just the O ring that needed replacing, prob a few pece fix. Trouble is fixing it back together as I had to break it apart - as with almost everything now, its designed to be replaced rather than repaired.