PDA

View Full Version : Vis Power Motor

KirkJames
12-07-12, 09:37 PM
My Vis Power Motor is ticking away like a good un under acceleration. Can I stop it doing this or is it goosed. It works fine other than the fast ticking as it comes on and goes off correctly according to my Vis Tester, and kicks in etc.

Anything I can do?

lawrence-zs180
12-07-12, 09:55 PM
You might have a dodgy tooth on the drive or the motor could be full of crap.. Can you get a vid up of it doing it? Also have you had a look inside yet? If you have a dodgy part I have spares of everything in one so I can send it out to you foc to fix the issue

KirkJames
12-07-12, 11:46 PM
I'll see if I can get a vid up mate, might be difficult as you can only hear it when accelerating. But I'll pop it off anyway and have a look inside, cheers buddy and thanks for the offer ;)

lawrence-zs180
13-07-12, 06:50 AM
no worries dude.

KirkJames
14-07-12, 10:07 PM
Well, I took it apart tonight and as I sat there stumped, I suddenly realised that one of the tiny washers at one end of the worm was in the wrong place! It was on the motor side of the black lug that the worm sits in, so I believe there was too much play in the worm. I have now put it in the right place and stuck it back in the car.
All sounds good, apart from a loose bit on my exhaust somewhere (there's always something) and still kicking in when it should and lighting up the Vis Indicator as it should.

Result!! ;)

lawrence-zs180
14-07-12, 10:38 PM
Nice one dude glad to see it was just that sodding washer... I have seen 4 motors where they have fitted them wrong.

Im changing the exhaust in the nxt 3 weeks to ss so I can send you the section thats shagged if you need... well the inter and back box since thats whats going haha.

KirkJames
15-07-12, 06:34 AM
Nice one dude glad to see it was just that sodding washer... I have seen 4 motors where they have fitted them wrong.

Im changing the exhaust in the nxt 3 weeks to ss so I can send you the section thats shagged if you need... well the inter and back box since thats whats going haha.

Cheers mate,

It is a new center section (for the second time) but they were a bunch of monkeys that fitted it. I took it to a trusted garage who said that they could see nothing loose anywhere so it must either be something inside the center section or maybe something in the back box (although there is no rattle coming from there when they inspected it). Back box has only been on a little while and came off a saloon that had only done a few thousand miles. I will get them to replace the center section again and if it is still the same afterwards I may have the back box off ya.
Is it a standard back box from a mk1 180 saloon?

lawrence-zs180
15-07-12, 06:59 AM
Its a hatch, but has a slightly tuned rear box one it... I got it off the web when mine died on my first zed cost sod all but sticks out by about 2" and does the job, I will measure the tail and let you know if it will sit in the saloons space nicely or look pants.

KirkJames
15-07-12, 07:52 PM
Cheers mate. Also noticed that the fast ticking/rattle that only happened when the vis motor was on is still there. I have come to the conclusion that the manifold is at fault. It needs changing anyway as is does tick quite loud when cold when you first start it up and gets faster when you rev :(

James Raby
16-07-12, 10:46 PM
Unplug the connector on the purge valve and see if noise stops, if it does = answer found

They all rattle a bit anyway lol

KirkJames
17-07-12, 09:35 AM
It's not the purge valve. I think a new manifold could be on the growing list of things this car is starting to need!