PDA

View Full Version : Zs+ 620ti turbo

BootyDoZs
16-07-12, 10:43 PM
Ok where do i begin,

i swapped a focus 1.8 Ghia x on a 99 plate for the Mg straight swap and i was well happy with the exchange, BUT!!!!!

after a week or so i noticed there was a leak of oil under the sump and around the bell housing, lookd into the problems and with definitive proof of what was going on i thought sod it ill do a engine conversion.

After alot of wrong advice and loss of cash i finally got what i needed a rover 620Ti with a mint engine and gearbox a sham really as the shell was nice too but where needs must.

ok bits and advice.

I rang Adrian at AAautosport who i must say is amazing told me everything i need to do's and donts also a comprehensive list of parts to get the engine into the Zs.

these were a set of engine mounts from a 420 gsi 2.0
420 drive shafts or Zstd shafts
complete engine loom from a 420
and the most important of all a complete donor 620Ti and NOT a 220k coupe turbo due to the tuning possibilities and the sump being steel on the 220k and alloy on the 620t.

also i got the 620 calipers from the donor that after a bit of fettling will be a great boost to braking on the Zs from 262mm to 282mm, the 620 came with a new set of disks and pads all round but still uunsure if the rears will fit.

in the boot i found 2 spare wheels from a vitesse 17" so i have 6 alloys to play with 2 defo need a refurb but still nice to have.

the 620 came with the 3 gauges oil temp,voltage and a boost gauge all matching smoked led type, so i need to get a pillar pod to mount them.

oh and not to forget a full mongoose stainless that im not sure it can be made to fit always worth a go i suppose.

Thats about it for no just a case of getting the engine out of the 2 cars and trying to find th mounts and loom. i'll keep you posted on what happens next time.

ZS Phil
16-07-12, 11:12 PM
You will need intercooler and rad from a diesel 45 or ZS too. The electrics will be the hardest bit I would have thought because no loom is plug and play.

Regarding the brakes, the Ti discs wont fit the ZS because they have a different PCD. You can make the front Ti calipers fit with 282mm ZS 180 discs but you will have to open up the carriers slightly because Ti discs are 23mm wide as opposed to 180 discs which are 25mm wide.

The wheels wont fit either.

Seems a shame to break a nice condition 620 ti just for the engine as they are getting rare these days :(

BootyDoZs
17-07-12, 04:23 PM
ill sell the wheels on along with the brake bits just keep the carriers and calipers for now. do the rear 620 calipers fit?

carmadbaker
17-07-12, 08:36 PM
Engine conversions on ZS seem to get so far as buying bits then stop, make sure its something you deffinately want to do before busting apart a decent 620.
I can truely assure you though it is not cheap!

ZS Phil
18-07-12, 10:58 AM
ill sell the wheels on along with the brake bits just keep the carriers and calipers for now. do the rear 620 calipers fit?

No they dont :( It should have rear discs already though right?

I agree with the buying bits and chickening out, I know a guy who bought a vvc engine to go in a ZS then didnt bother, proceded to buy a 420 to convert to a turbo then sold the engine and car because of the hasstle then proceded to buy yet another 420, a load of conversion bits including another complete T series, rebuilt it at great expense then yet again sold the entire lot at a great loss.

Shame because it would be a great project but if not 100% commited then as said, I would fix your oil leak on the ZS and cherrish the 620 for what it is, they arent exactly slow and handle pretty good too with suspension tweaks.

BootyDoZs
18-07-12, 11:10 PM
well sold my engine and gearbox so it comming out tomorrow.ordering the mounts and loom tomorrow so the 620 will be mounted into the Zs by next week just need the loom making up and tadaaaa