PDA

View Full Version : Changing the thermostat kit - what a laugh!!

James Raby
16-07-12, 10:55 PM
Not the easiest to do, eventually decided taking fuel rail and both manifold off in one piece was the only way to do it

The bendy shaped pipe was properly stuck in and came out in 4 pieces after I chiseled most of it out!!!

Tried as best I could to get all plastic out and succeeded after about 40 mins messing with watering can and tweasers!

All back together now BUT forgot to pinch up those plastic clip things!!!!!!

Hoping my long adjustable plumbers wrench thing will reach in and do the jOb!

Also had to plug a leaky rad on the new typhoon as the filter came loose and rubbed nicely springing a leak "nice new looking rads has battle scars now!"

Either way, saved labour costs and learnt something new!

James Raby
16-07-12, 10:56 PM
Ps, thermostat kit on bluey, once gleaming will be gone!

Waiting on a bumper and splitter still though, nothing ever goes to plan....

big_wasa
17-07-12, 09:30 AM
I've got one in the garage along with the belts ect. The exhaust manifold was a pain due to access, I can only guess what the big service is going to be like. I think I to will take both inlets of and leave the fuel rail well alone.

It's good knowing you have saved cash on labour.

stamford
17-07-12, 09:48 AM
Same with me as I had to remove the manifolds to gain access as the plastic snapped of flush with the block. I used my garage vacuum to suck the broken bits out. Luckily I did not have any fuel rail issues, just an injector 'o' ring needed as this was snagged due to being too dry, vaseline works wonders!

James Raby
17-07-12, 11:55 AM
Samexas said snapped, eventually all clear but just disconnect fuel pipes and take off in one piece to make easier job

Thing is, easy to do next time if needs doing :)

Fred68
17-07-12, 01:35 PM
I've got one in the garage along with the belts ect. The exhaust manifold was a pain due to access, I can only guess what the big service is going to be like. I think I to will take both inlets of and leave the fuel rail well alone.

It's good knowing you have saved cash on labour.

You will be taking most of the engine apart then? A little tip, do the stat at the same time as the cam belt as it makes access to it easier once the engine mount and alternator are out the way as you can get your hands under the mani's from both sides and though the gaps in the mani's if you have a 53 onwards car?