PDA

View Full Version : painting alloys

vanishing days
18-07-12, 09:29 AM
Basically the paint has come of my alloys quite badly
I don't really want to spend money on refurBing them as I aim to get a set of kei force 10s when the tyres are done and just use the straights for winter tyres whats the best way of painting them on a cheap budget i was hinking of doing them black

BUCKYDEVIL
18-07-12, 09:43 AM
Get yourself down to poundland for sandpaper,primer & Black paint
Not the best or longest lasting stuff but for much cheapness you cant go wrong.
Gonna start a project of my own with wheels.

andy-81
18-07-12, 11:05 AM
bucky is right mate i'm gonna do this my self, i think 20 quid should cover it for all four wheels, i'm not gonna get mine professionally done as my wheels seem to be curb magnets as i cant really park to far away from it where i live otherwise i'd lose a mirror!

Smokey
18-07-12, 11:17 AM
I did 6 of the track car wheels with white Plasticote and they look ace. Will flake over time but will just do them again lol!

Steves Cleenz
18-07-12, 12:35 PM
the thing with poundshop paint it is very thin and crap so you end up using loads, so buy normal car paint as this goes further so works out better, what you can use to mask the tyre off is a deck of cards, i use old business cards, wedge them between the tyre and alloy and this is easier trying to get masking tape to stick to tyres that have tyre black on

grimmy
18-07-12, 02:03 PM
I have done two sets of wheels with poundland paint cost me about six quid a wheel .

talkingcars
18-07-12, 06:26 PM
I'm with Steve and Smokie on paint, you get what you pay for, buy a decent brand and you'll get better coverage and will have to do less coats.

grimmy
18-07-12, 07:12 PM
I'm with Steve and Smokie on paint, you get what you pay for, buy a decent brand and you'll get better coverage and will have to do less coats.

So the fact I have done two sets of wheels with cheap paint stands for ****** all then.

BUCKYDEVIL
18-07-12, 07:53 PM
So the fact I have done two sets of wheels with cheap paint stands for ****** all then.

After I seen how good your one's turned out I was a bit Peed off I never gave them a go myself so going to be refurbing a set as a little project for winter wheels & it will be poundland gear I will use.

Ritchy
18-07-12, 08:08 PM
i did the painting route before but after i had a set coated decided never again, although mine looked okay painted didnt last too well, and difference between the paint and powdercoat was night and day, cost me £30 a wheel iirc

Mark S
18-07-12, 09:17 PM
city wheels is 20quid a wheel to strip and powder coat, whilst I would get them repainted as I don't like powder coat (when it lifts when water gets underneath) you can't argue at 20quid a corner.
Unless your on the rock n roll, you need to add up time earning money vs time sanding wheels and sore finger tips.
I know where i'd be.

grimmy
18-07-12, 09:19 PM
city wheels is 20quid a wheel to strip and powder coat, whilst I would get them repainted as I don't like powder coat (when it lifts when water gets underneath) you can't argue at 20quid a corner.
Unless your on the rock n roll, you need to add up time earning money vs time sanding wheels and sore finger tips.
I know where i'd be.

I think at six quid a wheel and a few hours sanding here and there plus the satisfaction of knowing you done a good job wins it for me.

talkingcars
19-07-12, 04:53 AM

If you're happy with the results then don't worry.

Smokey
19-07-12, 07:22 AM
Obviously I did track wheels so am less concerned but another consideration is, spend £80 and every time you park you are trying desperately not to kerb them. When you do, think how much rage there will be!

The cost of a few rattle cans, hit a kerb then think, better stop at Poundland!

If I successfully vinyl wrap my car, then I'll go for powder coating.

Jono-MG
19-07-12, 09:14 AM
Not to be the grinch in thr group but before I had the car (and had them professionally done) someone did a DIY job and the first time I took it to be 'professionally' cleaned half the paint was stripped from the alloys by a presure washer was this just a half assed job or would you be forever limited to bucket and sponge cleaning?

Smokey
19-07-12, 09:48 AM
I only ever bucket and sponge my alloys anyway, and use an alloy cleaning brush. Has been fine so far but as said, for much cheapness come poorer quality but depends on what you are looking for.

Mark S
19-07-12, 12:26 PM
Not to be the grinch in thr group but before I had the car (and had them professionally done) someone did a DIY job and the first time I took it to be 'professionally' cleaned half the paint was stripped from the alloys by a presure washer was this just a half assed job or would you be forever limited to bucket and sponge cleaning?

rattle cans will likely lift with a jetwash.

horses for courses...

andy-81
19-07-12, 03:12 PM
I thinks it lifted due to poor prep work when spraying you obviously have to have a good key and make sure the surface is nice and clean with no contaminents before you start the painting

Smokey
19-07-12, 03:40 PM
I sanded all mine down.