PDA

View Full Version : Track car clutch issue

Smokey
21-07-12, 06:03 PM
So today, Grimmy turned up to help me swap over the master and slave cylinders that Lee kindly supplied.

Started well getting the original part off but I discovered that the stiff pedal that's been around since I got the car was due to the master end not being physically connected to the clutch pedal!! The pin was present but the pedal was merely 'pushing' the bar in!

With the new system fitted we quickly discovered that the system (that doesn't need bled) needed bled. We figured out how to do it all and put everything back together.

Long story short, the track car has a perfect feeling clutch and fresh fluid in it!

Thank you Grimmy for all the help!!

sambomonkee
21-07-12, 06:34 PM
So today, Grimmy turned up to help me swap over the master and slave cylinders that Lee kindly supplied.

Started well getting the original part off but I discovered that the stiff pedal that's been around since I got the car was due to the master end not being physically connected to the clutch pedal!! The pin was present but the pedal was merely 'pushing' the bar in!

With the new system fitted we quickly discovered that the system (that doesn't need bled) needed bled. We figured out how to do it all and put everything back together.

Long story short, the track car has a perfect feeling clutch and fresh fluid in it!

Thank you Grimmy for all the help!!

Phew :)

grimmy
21-07-12, 06:41 PM
More than happy to help mate,just glad we Sussed it out and got the car going.

POMPSKI
21-07-12, 06:43 PM
Good news :)

BUCKYDEVIL
21-07-12, 07:00 PM
Well done on sorting it, Sounds very similar to the fault on mine.

Smokey
21-07-12, 07:03 PM
Well thankfully all is well for the next track day in 2 weeks! 4 hours of fun!!

POMPSKI
21-07-12, 08:58 PM
Did you get a loud click on deselection of the clutch?

Smokey
21-07-12, 09:00 PM
Don't think so, no.....?

POMPSKI
21-07-12, 09:01 PM
Don't think so, no.....?

Fair enough, sorry just trying to do a little diagnosis into a problem i see for myself in future :super:

Smokey
21-07-12, 09:07 PM
My symptom was a clutch pedal to the floor, that was all really. Discovered the pedal issue when dismantling it!

Smokey
22-07-12, 11:21 PM
Well I noticed today that when at high revs in 4th changing to 5th it grinds a fraction, on inspecting the slave bracket, it moves a good cm or so when clutch is engaged which in turn is reducing the force on the clutch arm.

Ordered a landrover bracket (supposed to be stronger) so should help too!

Fred68
23-07-12, 09:38 PM
It's possible to "beat" the syncro on my 180 from 2nd to 3rd. I suspect it's been caused by the previous owner using it with duff hydraulics!! I fitted a kind of home made Sheddist kit copied from a friends proper Sheddist kit!! Naughty I know but at the time I couldn't justify shelling out the the proper kit. I'm not sure the Freelander bracket is stronger though as they break on those too even with the lighter 1.8 clutch.

Smokey
23-07-12, 09:54 PM
It will be stronger than the current one at least with it a) being new and b) not being rewelded badly lol.

As long as it allows for an extra few mm of travel for the slave then I will be happy.

Smokey
27-07-12, 09:32 AM
New bracket arrived today! A job for tomorrow methinks :)

peterzs
27-07-12, 11:33 AM
Best of luck with it, seems a good upgrade.

Hope it does the trick.

Smokey
27-07-12, 01:13 PM
Will know tomorrow lol!

Smokey
01-08-12, 01:26 PM
Ok, so managed to find time to swap over the brackets, pretty much made zero difference!

So....is the issue with 5th gear maybe related to me having to ram it in to gear without a clutch when travelling home from Knockhill last time?

Symptoms:

When low revs, 5th gear engages without issue, high revs in to 5th gear gives a crunch (like if the clutch wasn't fully engaged)

This happens ONLY in high revs and ONLY with 5th gear, all other gears engage perfectly no matter how high I rev it.

Point to note, if I am high revs in 2nd or 3rd gear, it still does it, not just from 4th to 5th, so speed is not a factor, only revs.

Discuss :D

ZS
01-08-12, 01:39 PM
What does the Clutch pedal look like?

I pulled the one off my car and it was an oval shaped hole, and the clevis pin was half the width in the middle.

Replaced the pedal and pin with the one from the 51plate car, which were both perfect, and WOW its the single biggest change (for the better) to the gear change that I have made :)

stamford
01-08-12, 01:40 PM
Not being a gearbox expert but would this point to the 5th gear syncro?

ZRed
01-08-12, 01:55 PM
Get the gearoil level checked for starters.

Smokey
01-08-12, 04:30 PM
Pedal is fine, checked when replacing master cylinder. Not going to have time to check gear oil before track day though as its a tricky job and pouring of rain :(

sambomonkee
01-08-12, 05:39 PM
Similar to the reason I have had overhaul my gearbox, basically mine (even with the sheddist), was nye on impossible to get in gear at high revs, in my case 1st and 2nd.

My gearbox was whinning a bit as well, so guessed it was past it, so now going to replace the whole gearbox, flywheel and clutch.

Once I got the gearbox off, I could see that the release bearing and arm was pretty much seized, which could be your problem if your gearbox oil is OK, and you are not getting any whines etc.

Mark S
02-08-12, 07:20 AM
the reverse sensor on the gearbox is (on mine) the same height as filling plug and can be used to fill and check gearbox oil level, its a lot easier to get at as well.