PDA

View Full Version : motorway debris = damaged Mk2 180!!!

ZS 180
08-12-07, 03:27 PM
Hi

Unfortunately a tyre debris on the motorway got stuck in my bumper yesterday - when I dislodged it this was what I was left with:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/mgzs180_album/PC080094.jpg

I can live with the cracked bumper for now BUT it is the fog light I am concerned about as it's 'housing' (the black unit) is loose - is this because it fits to the mesh?

Anyone who is familiar with the fixing detail please help....

in addition should I worry about any of the wires / pipes behind the damaged area?

thanks in advance!!!

georgiansoccer
08-12-07, 03:38 PM
the foglight and bracket clips onto the back of the bumper so it looks like its been dislodged.

Probably best to take the bumper off and see if you can re-attach it. As for pipes there is nothing really there that could be damaged so i wouldnt worry about that

ZS 180
08-12-07, 03:41 PM
so it requires bumper off?!

is there no way of securing it if I were to jack the car up?

thanks for your help!

ZS 180
08-12-07, 04:47 PM
also noticed this wire loose - marked up as 'diavia se' - is this air con related?

thanks

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/mgzs180_album/PC080096.jpg

arwilson80
08-12-07, 08:49 PM
Yip, I'd be 99% certain that is a 'bumper off' job - It's what i did when the clips that hold in my fogs got knocked off. Not sure what the other wee do-dah is....

Mat C
08-12-07, 10:12 PM
also noticed this wire loose - marked up as 'diavia se' - is this air con related?

thanks

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/mgzs180_album/PC080096.jpg

Yes, that is the external temperature sensor. It fastens back on to that small black clip you can see, above the horn.

Maxxed_Ross
08-12-07, 10:15 PM
that's bad man, you were really unlucky

It there any way you could report it to the highway company and claim compensation?

ZS 180
09-12-07, 10:25 AM
yes - I rang highways agency and they say unless I can prove that they knew there was debris on the road and more specifically what vehicle it came off then I cant really claim!

I will still pursue it though. In my view 'traffic officers' almost always attend lorry blow outs and at the very least I expected a 'debris on road' warning sign on one of the numerous gantry signs on the M6 - instead they just say 'm6 toll clear' in a bid to make money!

MGZS180
09-12-07, 10:56 AM
yes - I rang highways agency and they say unless I can prove that they knew there was debris on the road and more specifically what vehicle it came off then I cant really claim!

I will still pursue it though. In my view 'traffic officers' almost always attend lorry blow outs and at the very least I expected a 'debris on road' warning sign on one of the numerous gantry signs on the M6 - instead they just say 'm6 toll clear' in a bid to make money!

That is total garbage. NEVER ever take advice from a potential defendant ! ...As an Accident Investigator I have a case stored on file at work based on very similar grounds regarding Tesco supermarkets (I do not work for Tesco). The case is based on the length of time a judge believed a broken item had been left on the shop floor to cause injury. Push forward on the matter. I am more around XPowerforums than here, and if I remeber next week I will have a look at the case files on my PC at work. The value of this claim it less than £1000 and is not worth their potential defense costs. Good luck.

Southern Storm
09-12-07, 08:31 PM
Had a similar problem last week with some metal banding that flew up from a van in front, (not his and think he suffered too) and smacked into the front of the Ford Fusion i use for work.
Damned anooying mate hope you get something out of it.

sduk
10-12-07, 03:59 PM
aww thats a sad sight, seeing it like that, hopefully be easily and quickly repaired. :)