PDA

View Full Version : Rattles and other noises!!

drewesq
31-07-12, 07:50 AM
I spent many hours on my last car trying to trace various annoying noises and rattles with varying degrees of success, but mostly good!

My new MG ZS seems to be okay, but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road - I suspect it is the parcel shelf and will test by taking it out. Has anyone else had this?

Maybe whoever reads this can say what they have done to resolve similar rattles and noises and we might get a good list together (if there isn't one already)?

I also think my tappets need changing....!

Drewesq :greedy:

Enright
31-07-12, 08:19 AM
I find emptying the boot of all tools, and stuff that's strayed into the spare wheel well is a good start (which I keep being reminded of as I go over a certain speed bump on my way to work)! :D

stamford
31-07-12, 08:34 AM
Wheel well is a good place to start, is the wheel bolted down?

drewesq
31-07-12, 11:19 AM
OK, thanks guys. I'll check them out later...

Was just wondering if there was like 'common' rattles or noises that people have located and fixed??

Enright
31-07-12, 01:36 PM
A common one appears to be the gearknob, and fixes range from the dangerously temporary (gaffer tape) to the dangerously permanent (araldite).
I'm not sure which to recommend as I don't know whether I'd rather be able to pull my knob off at the slightest provocation (missus) or have it stuck fast forever.

ZS
31-07-12, 01:58 PM
A common one appears to be the gearknob, and fixes range from the dangerously temporary (gaffer tape) to the dangerously permanent (araldite).
I'm not sure which to recommend as I don't know whether I'd rather be able to pull my knob off at the slightest provocation (missus) or have it stuck fast forever.

Mine is currently attached via gorilla tape and gorilla glue... I know its only temporary, but after I whacked myself in the eye with it (yes... my knob gave me a black eye) I decided better safe than sorry... I am considering drilling and tapping a small hole through the bottom of the knob and then using a small grub(?) screw to perminently affix the knob to the lever, but still be able to remove it if necessary....

WalkerDnB
31-07-12, 02:06 PM

tiger seal is best for that job :) in fact I'll use tiger seal for anything lol

petet16
31-07-12, 02:23 PM
I'd rather my knob didn't come off, but it would grant some serious bragging rights getting a black eye of your own knob:-D

oh gear knob:whistle:

pheelay
31-07-12, 04:08 PM
but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road ...

exhaust hitting the mounting?

andy-81
31-07-12, 07:07 PM
I'd rather my knob didn't come off, but it would grant some serious bragging rights getting a black eye of your own knob:-D

oh gear knob:whistle:

lol i cracked myself in the chin when i pulled my knob off i had 2 stitches and a scar to prove it!

drewesq
01-08-12, 01:44 PM
what about squeeky seats.... some oil somewhere I suppose??

Enright
01-08-12, 02:01 PM
Are you sure that noise is the seats and not your passengers' collective bums from your late braking or hard cornering?!? ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Serious answer is yes, probably. Could be either metal on metal, e.g. springs rubbing against the frame, or vinyl/leather rubbing against other trim. Either way, strategically squirted WD40 should sort it.

drewesq
01-08-12, 02:07 PM
hahaha, could well be, but, alas no. I was the only person in the car! I am more ambitious in the corners now though in my new go kart!
I'll look at the seats later!

drewesq
02-08-12, 07:43 PM
OK, so I seem to have like a metal on metal squeek noise that I only really notice when the window is down. I have had it up on a hoist and the wheels spin without any noise and I can't find anything loose underneath.... So, don't think it is a wheel bearing or exhaust. Anyone any idea?

D

Enright
03-08-12, 11:06 AM
Under what conditions?
Accelerating/decelerating/turning/constant? Does the pitch change? Can you induce the noise or do anything to get rid of it (other than wind the window up!)?

drewesq
03-08-12, 01:54 PM
No, it constant, I would say it does sound like it is in time with the wheel going round and mainly at low speeds (but doesn't seem to increase in frequency as I speed up) over slightly uneven road. I don't notice it at speed on an A road but then there is a fair bit of wind noise then!

I would say it definately isn't internal - I'm rubbish at explaining this aren't I - sorry! I do appreciate any help though!

:)

Ritchy
03-08-12, 01:56 PM
i had an annoying noise for agesat the back, ripped the whole car to bits at the back, literally nothing in it, turned out to be the bumper in the end

drewesq
03-08-12, 02:00 PM
Bumper - so - some strategically placed sticky foam or something to stop it? I suppose it could be the bumper, I'll check later - to be fair it doesn't do my head in enough to take the bumper off!

Ritchy
03-08-12, 02:02 PM
not saying it is but just trying to say these things arent really an exact science to trace at times, usually a helper is needed plus a lot of stripping to eliminate things

drewesq
03-08-12, 02:46 PM
I know, it could sound like the bumper and be a key in the ashtray or something!! As it is the weather is pretty pants this summer so probably won't need the window down much!!

andy-81
03-08-12, 02:53 PM
No, it constant, I would say it does sound like it is in time with the wheel going round and mainly at low speeds (but doesn't seem to increase in frequency as I speed up) over slightly uneven road. I don't notice it at speed on an A road but then there is a fair bit of wind noise then!

I would say it definately isn't internal - I'm rubbish at explaining this aren't I - sorry! I do appreciate any help though!

:)

its the front brakes pal mine does exactly the same thing so i tookthem apart and cleaned them yesterday and all is quiet now

drewesq
03-08-12, 03:07 PM
thanks Andy - the discs look like they need to be changed anyway so will probably do that next weekend

drewesq
04-08-12, 07:56 AM
Well, I found yesterday the the noise only happens when the front wheels are straight...

Fred68
04-08-12, 08:47 AM
Well, I found yesterday the the noise only happens when the front wheels are straight...

Slight play in the bearings is causing the brakes to drag? Strip, clean and re-grease the caliper sliders. Clean the rust out from under the shims too!!

drewesq
10-08-12, 06:13 PM
Update!:

The noise stops when the brakes are applied, so must be brake related! I'll give them a good clean tomorrow when I attempt to fit 2 new CV joints!

POMPSKI
10-08-12, 06:19 PM
Sounds like the same noise I have. Extremely high-pitched as well?

drewesq
10-08-12, 06:29 PM
It is high pitched, like a squeal. Or maybe like there is a cricket or a bird in the car... I am sure now it must be brake related! Hope it isn't a belt, but then if it was then applying the brakes wouldn't stop the noise

POMPSKI
10-08-12, 06:48 PM
It is high pitched, like a squeal. Or maybe like there is a cricket or a bird in the car... I am sure now it must be brake related! Hope it isn't a belt, but then if it was then applying the brakes would stop the noise

Exactly how mine sounds.

I was convinced it was from the brakes too but have made myself believe it may be rubbing in the NS of the engine bay. Report back on your findings please sir!

Hambo-180
11-08-12, 07:12 AM
I spent many hours on my last car trying to trace various annoying noises and rattles with varying degrees of success, but mostly good!

My new MG ZS seems to be okay, but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road - I suspect it is the parcel shelf and will test by taking it out. Has anyone else had this?

Maybe whoever reads this can say what they have done to resolve similar rattles and noises and we might get a good list together (if there isn't one already)?

I also think my tappets need changing....!

Drewesq :greedy:

The internal plastic tailgate cover can sometimes develop an annoying squeak, take the cover off and oil or grease up the metal push clips and then replace.
Doors creak sometimes - adjust the strikers.

talkingcars
11-08-12, 09:21 AM
Update!:

The noise stops when the brakes are applied, so must be brake related! I'll give them a good clean tomorrow when I attempt to fit 2 new CV joints!

It could still be a bearing, when you brake the pads grip the caliper and will stop it running out of true.

POMPSKI
11-08-12, 09:34 AM
Mine wasnt the bearing, as I got it changed :(

andy-81
11-08-12, 01:26 PM
I'm sorry to hijack this thread mate but did you happen to have a rattle from near the steering column, if so how did you fix it? It seems to be coming from near the little pull down sunglasses tray under the mirror adjuster switches Oh it's a mk1

drewesq
12-08-12, 05:57 AM
I have done the CV joints yesterday, i did it though without taaking the discs off so am pretty sure the squeek will still be there. Discs will be done in a couple of weeks!

drewesq
12-08-12, 06:01 AM
Once the brakes are done, I'll get the bearings changed if noise is still there

drewesq
12-08-12, 06:03 AM
The internal plastic tailgate cover can sometimes develop an annoying squeak, take the cover off and oil or grease up the metal push clips and then replace.
Doors creak sometimes - adjust the strikers.

Do you mean behind the rear reg plate on the inside? what, so unscrew the plastic screws, take it all off and then oil the clips?

What are door strikers?

drewesq
15-08-12, 08:26 PM
there is defo a rattle from behind the bumper, I was listening this morning on my way to work and then when I got to work I kind of knocked around the rear of the car and softly tapping the bumper recreates the rattle. I'm not 100% sure I fancy taking the rear bumper off but it might get worse!

petet16
15-08-12, 08:30 PM
Exhaust knocking on the heat shield maybe.

drewesq
15-08-12, 09:11 PM
Exhaust knocking on the heat shield maybe.

Nah, already had it up on a hoist, exhaust isn't the culprit! Defo from just behind the top of the rear bumper. I know its gonna be a bumper off job....

drewesq
25-08-12, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry to hijack this thread mate but did you happen to have a rattle from near the steering column, if so how did you fix it? It seems to be coming from near the little pull down sunglasses tray under the mirror adjuster switches Oh it's a mk1

Er no, but I do have a rattle that come from behind the central top vent.... do you have that one? Only really noticable when it is really uneven road...?

drewesq
25-08-12, 08:25 PM
Pomps... I'm doing the discs tomorrow (would've done them earlier but bout the wrong discs) I'll give the dust discs a clean, metal wire off as mich rust as poss and re-grease the callipers. I think maybe one of my discs is slightly buckled so new discs will fix that. I will report back tomorrow!

POMPSKI
25-08-12, 09:01 PM
Im thinking the same! I ordered some on thursday should have arrived today but did not!

Im now certain it is the brakes as I let the car idle until warm, then drove off. No sound. Nothing until the brakes have been applied a few times.

drewesq
26-08-12, 03:15 PM
OK, so I have now changed the discs and after a short test I can't hear the annoying squeek anymore, but that is probably because all I can hear is a scraping noise! Which is either the dust shield or, it seemed like the new disc was scraping against the calliper.... grrrr!!

POMPSKI
26-08-12, 03:17 PM
At least the squeak has gone lol, I think it is feasible the shield is rubbing, with new thick discs on (Not sure on this though). Did you grease up the caliper sliders while you were there?

drewesq
26-08-12, 08:09 PM
I didn't, TBH I ran out of time, but when I took it for a spin it more or less sorted itself now it only scrapes when I turn left! tomorrow morning I'll try to push the shield away from the disc and if it is still a problem I will take it to the garage near work to clean up for me!

All I need to do then is try to sort the rattle that comes from the boot/rear bumper and try to find the source of the whistle noise when the window is down.

Did you see the link I put on your thread on mg-rover pomp?

POMPSKI
26-08-12, 08:19 PM
Just seen it now, thanks for that. I had already seen it as well. Brake lines will be getting upgraded if the discs/pads dont work! I was going to upgrade them at some point anyway.

Glad you're getting through it. The rear bumper rattle generally comes from where the bumper sits in the supports. A bit of foam padding should sort it.

drewesq
28-08-12, 09:50 AM
well, the squeek is back! as I was pulling into work I lowered the windows and could hear it clearly

Going to take it to a local garage at lunch to get it booked for the bumper rattle anyway so will ask him to check the callipers, pipes etc...

drewesq
06-09-12, 05:59 AM
Success! I have eliminated the rear rattle (twas the catch on the tailgate that was loose) and changed the pads and gave the callipers a good clean with a wire brush, made sure the metal shims were all in place and now the brake related suqeek has gone :D

Very happy... now the alternator whine...!

Hambo-180
29-09-12, 01:54 PM
Do you mean behind the rear reg plate on the inside? what, so unscrew the plastic screws, take it all off and then oil the clips?

What are door strikers?

If you got a 5 door model, its the plastic hatchback liner, the bit you grab to close the hatch, the clips squeak cause they become dry. Pull the liner off and oil the metalpush clips...

Door strikers are the metel loops on the body of the car that the door locks click into when the door is closed, they move slightly and can cause a "creak"