PDA

View Full Version : Blocking the brake pipe to remove calliper

drewesq
17-08-12, 01:48 PM
Hi Guys

I need to remove the front callipers to give them a good clean and maybe a coat of hammerite but what is the best way to block the pipe? threaded screw?

Thanks

petet16
17-08-12, 01:51 PM
You'd be better with pipe clamps, a bit like spring loaded pliers with cushioned pads so they don't damage the pipe.

stamford
17-08-12, 01:53 PM
As above, proper hose clamps then a quick bleed when complete, only a couple of strokes required as loss should minimal. I did the same with my rear Land Rover caliper last week as the piston needed freeing up off the car.

drewesq
17-08-12, 02:14 PM
cheers! I am also changing the discs and just realised I have ordered non vented.... is this a problem? I guess they'll take longer to cool, but does that matter?

Can i drill holes in myself? :P

stamford
17-08-12, 02:20 PM
What zed is this on? They should be vented.

No idea what the smaller variants used.

Also what holes do you mean? I would say no regardless!

drewesq
17-08-12, 02:29 PM
it's a 1.6, the ad says they're compatible... might just be the picture though...

ZS
17-08-12, 02:47 PM
IIRC the 1.6 might either have vented or none vented discs... I'd pop out to the car have have a quick check - its the only way to be sure...

drewesq
17-08-12, 02:59 PM
The ones on there are vented.. but will it matter too much if i replace them with non vented?

Fred68
17-08-12, 03:20 PM
The ones on there are vented.. but will it matter too much if i replace them with non vented?

You can't use solid discs in place of vented as they will be to thin!! Brakes should be swapped like for like!!

andy-81
18-08-12, 02:05 PM
as fred said mate putting solids would probably make your braking worse as well as for clamping the pipes i have always used mole grips to do this and have never split a pipe yet

KevG
18-08-12, 04:14 PM
Hose Clamp
http://www.uktools.com/images/sea/big/VS030.V2.jpg

as for fitting solid discs, to a braking system with vented discs, not only are you risking your safety your are also making your vehicle illegal.

petet16
18-08-12, 04:41 PM
No way would I fit solid discs in place of vented ones, there's no point for a start.

And you most definitely can't drill your own holes.

talkingcars
18-08-12, 08:29 PM
Drilled disks are not the same as vented discs anyway.

Vented are like 2 thin discs with spacers between them.
Drilled discs have holes drilled through the face.

I wouldn't use a threaded screw to block the hose, you run the risk of damaging the internal skin of the hose and the first you know is when you stamp on the peddle in a hurry and the peddle goes to the floor.