PDA

View Full Version : Horror Report kicking around

welshone
22-08-12, 03:36 PM
<<<LINK>>> (http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/)

Jay-ZS+
22-08-12, 03:41 PM
Wonder how much money modifying cars generates for the Uk economy. When politicians are telling people to spend more. Bet its millions!!

POMPSKI
22-08-12, 03:51 PM
Id say Billions personally, think of all the people out of work if that happened.

Got to be a joke surely?

petet16
22-08-12, 03:54 PM
Scaremongering imo, just have a think about how big the tuning industry is in Germany and France, and the uk for that matter.

Witnes$
22-08-12, 03:55 PM
This has got to be a huge pile of BS surely????

petet16
22-08-12, 04:08 PM
In Germany all aftermarket/tuning parts must have TUV approval, which is no bad thing imo it means that stuff you buy meets a set standard and will also pass the German equivalent of our mot.

stamford
22-08-12, 05:01 PM
Such a proposal will cause huge ripples through the whole motor industry. How can tuning arms like AMG, Overfinch, M Power, Saleen etc manage such a thing when a production car gets a makeover, it'll ramp the costs up even more. Each modified car would need to be checked and tested, a bit like a building inspector at each and every stage.

As already said the tuning and aftermarket industry is massive across all manufacturers current and obsolete. where would this leave the likes of all the MG, Land Rover and Mini tuners to name but three?

If it is a wind up then it is a well written one! I can't see how they could police such a change, way too many modified cars on the road some with hidden mods, engine based etc. It'll lead to many keeping illegal cars and in no time it'll be like Mad Max all over again.

Total BS I'd say. Do they hate Top Gear that much!

fastmike
22-08-12, 05:11 PM
Its not a wind up ...... we ignore this at our peril.......a lot of German tuning companys get their stuff type approved already ( because its already law there ) ...... and its already law in a few European countrys.....

Smokey
22-08-12, 05:18 PM
That's like saying that the cars straight off the production line are perfect and there is no way of improving them.

Better remove my Silverstone sticker in case it isn't sticky enough lol

daytona365
22-08-12, 05:21 PM
Its no joke, it in this weeks classic car weekly. ABout scrapping MOT's for older cars. The cars wont need MOTs, but must be in a condition to which they were manufactured., So even something as simple as putting a 5spd box in a Ford Anglia, could be deemed illegal. Supposed to make thing easier for older car owners, but the other worry of NO MOT, is if the car is dangerous and involved in an accident, the driver WILL be liable. At least an MOT lets you know your car is safe. BLOODY BRUSSELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Fred68
22-08-12, 05:28 PM
This is going to cost tens of thousands of jobs EU wide!!
The worst thing that ever happened to the UK was to get involved with the EU!!

welshone
22-08-12, 05:29 PM
That's like saying that the cars straight off the production line are perfect and there is no way of improving them.

Better remove my Silverstone sticker in case it isn't sticky enough lol

forget about the silverstone stickers what about site stickers :ninja:

petet16
22-08-12, 05:33 PM
forget about the silverstone stickers what about site stickers :ninja:

Yeah, I hope the site owners are only selling type approved stickers:tease:

stamford
22-08-12, 07:32 PM
So they must be a condition they were manufactured in, so we make the cars worse? Don't they see enthusiasts improve their cars, way better then when they were made?

Well I'll be buying an HS or HSR Chevette then!

Alan.F
22-08-12, 08:48 PM
Its already law in New Zealand and Aus even lowering has to be approved over there people will have to trailer thre cars to shows

Smokey
22-08-12, 09:49 PM

Don't they see enthusiasts improve their cars, way better then when they were made?

Kinda stole my point there sir :hmm:

talkingcars
22-08-12, 10:23 PM
I suggest anyone worried by this should download a copy of the department of transport questionaire from

http://tinyurl.com/cpw5lnj

and return it to them.

I would also suggest that we should all contact our MP and MEP objecting to the proposal on the grounds that

1) the level of testing generally falls below our current MOT
2) the purpose of the act seems to be to create a uniform level across Europe for the trading of second hand vehicles - however only UK, Eire, Cyprus and Malta drive on the left and all are islands - so there is limited trade with the rest of main land europe.
3) again it is worth highlighting the effect on the after market and that most who modify actually have safer cars than those who don't bother with MOT, tax or insurance (or licences).

I'm sure there is more but it is late - I'll do more research over the next few days.

James

petet16
23-08-12, 07:21 AM
I've emailed them my 2p worth for all the good it's likely to do, but if everyone takes the time give opinions they will be made aware of the strength of feeling about these proposals.

talkingcars
23-08-12, 08:34 AM
Contact you MP and MEP

http://www.writetothem.com/

Witnes$
23-08-12, 09:29 AM
Start a government petition to prevent it and circulate?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

Could a wordsmith complie one and provide a link? I probably could over the weekend but time is short untill friday night.

p_b82
23-08-12, 11:04 AM
not quite sure how a jobsworth over in europe will find out whether my car has got type approval or not for the parts fitted o it...

I invite them to ring up MGR and discuss it lol.

I remember some-one on xpf how had a hell of a time getting his 180 to switzerland and so his mods were 'factory fitted' and have gone down on their systems as such - in case any-one else needs to import one :laugh:

dropping MOT's for old cars is just stupid - as is the reduction to test bi-anually they keep thinking about.....