PDA

View Full Version : Cabin noise

Steven11
23-08-12, 09:53 PM
Evening All

Just back this weekend from Kinross with my wife and son. And as usual had to listen to my wife moan about how noisey the car is at motorway speeds. Is there anything i can do that doesnt envolve stripping the entire interior out the car. Ive heard various things like
1- Put the carpet out a 2004 Rover 45 in it.
2 -Lift the gear gator and pack it with foam
3- Cover the car in Dynomat
4- Spray foam in the A-Pillars

etc

Is there any truth to any of this and has anyone already done any of it with good results ?

mattie007
23-08-12, 10:41 PM
Here's an excellent post from sheddist over on XPF's-
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=34541

Steven11
23-08-12, 10:51 PM
Thats an amazing link, thanks very much. Gonna have to study that a bit.

MG mad
24-08-12, 07:13 AM
Just tell your wife it could be worse - could be cruising on the German Autobahns at 100-110mph all the time ;)

Steven11
24-08-12, 07:32 AM
Probably be much more quiet on the smooth german road. From what ive heard their road tax actually gets spent on the roads (what a great idea)

ian zs180
25-08-12, 10:07 AM
To be honest i dont have an issue with my 180 regarding cabin noise its a little louder than my vectra sri was but i do have a xpower exhaust on so ive gotta expect that .

Ritchy
25-08-12, 10:28 AM
what is the noise? wind noise or tyre noise? or the exhaust? mines okay on the motorway actually

Steven11
25-08-12, 10:35 AM
I know what you mean. I have a full exhaust system on mine as well, although due to having kids opted to fit a nice big silencer. However the majority of the noise seems to be road and wind noise. It is my only real complaint about the car, it drives me nuts. And unfortunately im not very handy with the spanners so im reluctant to strip the interior in case i damage anything.

What to do :confused:

Ritchy
25-08-12, 10:51 AM
id be looking at the tyres, if they are hard compound then they may be noisy, also things like the seals round the windows, make sure they are all fitted properly not loose as that can cause alot of wind noise

Steven11
25-08-12, 11:06 AM
What is it you do at Machargs Richie. I had my car in there last year. Dont suppose you are there MG Master Tech per chance ?

Ritchy
25-08-12, 11:09 AM
no not a master tech lol, MG was before my time there but still dabble in them, still got a lot of MG/rover techs in there though

Steven11
25-08-12, 11:31 AM
Sure your an amazing mechanic mate, but i had one of the worst experiences of my life with your service Dept/Manager. Put my 180 in because a coil went. i knew what it was bacause i had 2 go before. Got a call after 2 days to say the coils were all fine and my bill was currently at £200 for investigation time. I was then told they wanted another £150 to do a conpression test. At this point i was getting angry as the bill was at £350 and the car was still missing.

I eventually lost the plot Complained to your head office about the service manager and took the car to a small indipandant named Gary at the end of South Street.

Within 3 hours i got the call to say car was fixed. Number 2 coil was knackered the bill was £40 and i could come and get the car.

Glad it got fixed but gutted at the treatment i recieved.

Ritchy
25-08-12, 11:36 AM
gutted mate, it is the problem with a big place like mine, theres 40 techs between two workshops, too many people place ends up with a bad rep, same with audi hear bad stories ect but its not like every tech is bad.

if you want any hand with taking interior out be happy to do so f.o.c. up mine, not a hard car to take to bits show you how to do it

Steven11
25-08-12, 07:25 PM
Really appreciate that Ritchy. I know exactly what you mean, my place is exactly the same, You would think being the second biggest Audi dealer in the uk the customer service would be amazing but that couldnt be further from the truth. The amount of customer complaints i deal with on a daily basis is absolutly ridiculous. And the problem i have is that 9 times out of 10 the customer is right.

You really cant beat an old school independant mechanic if like me you have no mechanical talent what so ever.

Ritchy
25-08-12, 07:37 PM
lass from reception gina went to work there, dunno if she is still there,

but aye, any stuff you wanted fitted or removed interior wise can sort you out buddy, can have the full lot out in about half an hour

Steven11
25-08-12, 07:48 PM
Believe it or not mate she's now a salesman with us. Shes been doing it about a year now. Nice girl but a bit of a head case.

Ritchy
25-08-12, 08:36 PM
so shes had a sexchange?:P anno she was at ours too, did a julie thompson work at your work too?

Steven11
25-08-12, 09:31 PM
Not heard of her mate, and ive been there 7 years. Was head valeter for 5 yrs and moved to service 2yrs ago.