PDA

View Full Version : Reyland Zs Rebuild / Update

sneekyparrot
26-08-12, 09:45 AM
Morning all,
Right with my house move finally all sorted and the garage 90% how i want it i thought it might be a good time to start a rebuild thread as a few of you have asked how the Reyland Zs is doing.

New Garage:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/70B2AEE6-8134-43E9-967D-74E83A0C2084-3631-0000013E38183A02.jpg

It's quite obvious that the guy who got it after Dave did treat it with the same love and attention and just ragged the ***** out of it something which would be hard not to do tbh its a very addictive car to drive if your not into air con, music and all that comfort stuff :-)
Ross had aldready started to address some of the issue's but as far as i am concerned the only way to get it back and improve it to strip it back to the shell and start again.

I have already started to acquire the parts that i want which will push the car in the direction i want it to go.

The BTTC bodywork for the moment appears to have disappeared down a dark hole but i am hoping that my further enquirers will result in the appearance of some lighter fiberglass bonnet / wings but these are not a priority at the moment.
I have purchased and will be fitting the front windows back but this will be the only lux items that will be going back in. It just gets so warm in the car i found myself trying to direct the wind back into the car with my hand lol!

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/122501f9.jpg
Stack 8130 will be refitted along with the TD pro race 1.2 18" that its sitting on.

Skunk2 Lca's, whole pile of poly bushes are sitting on the parts shelf and either D2 or hardrace rear camber / toe (depending who comes back to me with the best price) are about to be purchased.

Engine:

Now here is where the fun starts. After spending many many hr's trawling the information about the Bam 20v motor i am still not 100% certain where it will end up. 1 thing for certain is it aint running right at the moment. The poor starting when hot and **** poor tickover are a sign that something is not happy. Having had a long conversation with martin and him listening to it we are going to have to dig deeper. (More Later)

Having decided that believe it or not the 300hp is not enough and having spoken to backdraft who confirmed the current k04 turbo is maxed out i began looking at a replacement GTX3071r turbo but once the costs began to spiral and further issues became apparent i have shelved this idea for the moment but i am certain once the car is sorted this will happen.

So how to improve what we have and get a little more top end.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/18625032-F9D6-4E9C-BED8-C84195632E6C-3631-0000013E1ACBC2CB.jpg

This is 1 of only 20 new v3 Relentless manifold and nothing like their previous much cheaper e bay specials. From the dyno results it should add another 30-40hp to the top end.

The car is due to head back to the creator :-) in 2 - 3 weeks time to try and diagnose the engine problems, it could be a duff map sensor but martin is going to run compression and leak down tests to make sure we are not looking at a duff valve etc.

New injectors and a remap will also be required so i may also replace the MBE ecu with something like the Pectel that can be setup live instead of having to tweek the map then upload then dyno run again with the current setup.
May as well run something that Martin is familiar with seeing as he is local to me and is going to be the only one setting it up.

Brakes:

Ok the car run's the brembodge setup atm with ds3000 pads. I have resurfaced the disc's and installed new pads and this has removed the shakes but whilst i dont think there is a problem with the setup i have a nagging worry. The performance of the car atm is superb but with more HP and looking to the future where i will replace the turbo and the car will be running 400-450hp i am building to the figure now. Martin is going to be replacing this setup with a Reyland setup using his disc's and calipers, he is going to have one of the wheels and squeeze the biggest's discs he can in there, this i am sure will put my mind at rest.

So in the next few weeks there will be a fully working Brembodge setup up for grabs price will be around the £400 mark and will include discs, adapters, calipers and ds3000 pads. Disc's have only covered maybe 500miles but the pads are ds3000 and provide unbelievable stopping power but they are a track pad and if you can live with the squeal that comes with gentle braking then no prob, if you cant then maybe a shift to ds2500 or similar maybe better.

First come first serve so if someone wants them then let me know and i will put your name on them, if not then e bay they go!

Thats it for now but will add more once i get the diagnosis from the doctor :-)

Paul

big_wasa
26-08-12, 11:34 AM
Looks like a great thread, I look forward to plenty of updates :punk:

carmadbaker
26-08-12, 01:28 PM
Awesome mate! Love it!! Cant wait to see it finished and in my rear view mirror :tease: (obviously joking! Mine never works!!!!) hopefully martin sorts the dodgy idle and its nothing serious!

Eddie
26-08-12, 02:56 PM
I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.

Quadcam24
26-08-12, 04:59 PM
amen to my friends words above.

talkingcars
26-08-12, 09:54 PM
Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?

Smokey
26-08-12, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I know a bit about the car but would be nice to have all the knowledge as you are building a reeeally awesome car!

sneekyparrot
27-08-12, 08:26 AM
Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?

Here are a couple, 1 from orginal build and 1 from Ross's sale which lists spec etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17975359

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=20880

cheers
Paul

sneekyparrot
27-08-12, 08:29 AM
I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.

Yeah spent a while re searching different turbo's, spool times etc. The gtx3071 will produce 400hp all day without having to max out with silly boost etc. Just be happy when we know whats up with the motor, if it turns out to be a valve issue then going to look a the large port agu head.

cheers
Paul

stamford
27-08-12, 06:14 PM
Pleasing to see the car in good hands still and with plenty of future plans.

Quadcam24
27-08-12, 07:30 PM
it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.

p_b82
28-08-12, 10:41 AM
As others have said really glad to see this car is being loved once more!

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm :)

sneekyparrot
28-08-12, 11:06 AM

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm :)

PM sent Pete,

They do fit under 17 OZ superleggeras, thats what i have on at the mo :-)

cheers
Paul

sneekyparrot
28-08-12, 11:28 AM
it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.

TBH Dave most would just run it and ignore the odd oil leak, worn suspension bushes and chopped about wiring but thats not me.
I am a bit of a perfectionist as you would see if you had seen some of the bikes i have built, i have to know every part and be certain its fit and healthy.

as you know the car has plenty of performance but i want to move it on in all areas so the best and quickest solution is just get it on the ramps and drop the motor and suspension, i can then upgrade and replace anything that needs replacing.

just cant leave all this time and investment rusty and covered in crud.

besides i will be pushing the performance and need to be 100% that everything else is up to the job.

This car has a character / attitude i love and tbh i find the majority of things with 4 wheels as boring as hell, even so called high performance cars are nowt compared to a bike ok they corner better / faster but you have to wrestle a big bike round the corners and carry the speed, get it wrong and it hurts

makes me laugh like a kid every time i strap into the VAG and let it loose on the roads. First time i drove it hard i could not work out where the squealing was coming from in 2nd gear, only to realize it was the cold tyres letting go LMAO

i dont think its a major issue as it runs fine off tickover but i am still working my way around the motor so best let martin find the problem while its down there.

gotta fix up a small water bottle thou! went out and covered the car in bug splats so on went the wipers but no fluid to help clear the screen, no prob opened the bonnet to fill at a petrol station to find there ain't one lol

Later
Paul

Dave MGT
28-08-12, 07:28 PM

They will fit under std wheels. You just need 3mm spacers ( hubsentric is best) their £25 off eBay. I just ordered some because I have a slight wheel wobble at high speeds, with the nasty spacers I'm using.

You wont regret doing the brembos! It's such a great mod that you feel every time you drive it, unlike some mods. Makes the std 180 brakes feel crap.

Quadcam24
28-08-12, 08:07 PM
reply to post 14....great news and lol...even on hot roads with hot toyo 888's it cant (or couldnt ) lay 2nd gear, 3rd was borderline !

Eddie
29-08-12, 01:21 PM
This is where boost by gear becomes your best friend (BBG),
I run both BBG (Not AVCR) via my ECU and a boost solenoid, tune the car to you desired maximum bhp then adjust the boost from 1st to 5th accordingly, I run wastage pressure (7 psi) in first then ramp up to 12 psi in second and so on.
I also run Race Logic traction control and really rate it, what the BBG can control the RL can, I average sub 6 second 0-60 mph.
Best part is, you can just turn off both of the above or have various set-ups for most driving conditions or tyres.

sneekyparrot
18-09-12, 09:31 AM
Just had the results from the doc and it's not good. Seems at idle I have very poor compression in 3 cylinders 3&4 are showing 30-40% loss!

Total arse but it seems as Martin suspected the numpty who had it before Ross has abused it and prob constantly over revved it and buzzed the valves so it's a head off job.

There goes tr brakes money:/(

Picking car up later and will be stripping the motor out / head off for a proper look, seems like a good reason to go with a large port head while I am at it lol!

:-(
P.

stamford
18-09-12, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear this Paul. Things like this are common with unusual cars where previous owners have abused them. They quickly pass them on when signs of playing up are evident rather than look after them and fix them when they go wrong. At least when it is stripped and inspected it'll be done right and you'll know what has been done etc.

peterzs
18-09-12, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear, but at least its do-able, could have been worse I suppose.

With all that power on hand, think I would be guilty of spirited driving and a few revs.

Best of luck with the strip down.

Jay-ZS+
18-09-12, 10:04 AM
As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade! Least you can inspect it and will know it is all spot on when it goes back together. Always nice for piece of mind.

If you rebuild it anything like your bikes will be very nice when done!

tb steve
18-09-12, 02:14 PM
gutted for ya i know how you fell mate

but just think if you thought it was quick now whats it going to be like when you get it all done :yikes:

p_b82
18-09-12, 05:47 PM
that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice :laugh:

sneekyparrot
18-09-12, 05:59 PM
that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice :laugh:

Yeah tbh i was not surprised when martin suggested this maybe the problem i was kinda putting 2+2 together, was hoping it was a sensor but hey just have to deal with it.

Just got back from picking it up and had a good chat with martin, its worse than i thought. 50% loss in 2 cylinders 30 in 1 and 40 in the other which suggests at least 1 valve is shot in each cylinder. The motor revs so freely that it would be way to easy to over rev especially if its in a numpty or an animals hand.

Anyway its in the garage and thats where it will stay until i pull the motor and strip it down.
Going to dump the small port BAM head and replace it with the large port unit with some new valves, new injectors and the V3 manifold should see it close to 350hp which will keep me happy for a while.

oh the joys of modding :-)

P.

Quadcam24
18-09-12, 07:15 PM
sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.

Maxxed_Ross
18-09-12, 07:55 PM
As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade!

Oi that's my motto :laugh: V V V

Drew
18-09-12, 09:29 PM
cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew

Ritchy
18-09-12, 09:34 PM
thats a kick in the teth:/ be awesome after though

sneekyparrot
19-09-12, 06:15 AM
cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew

close but not quite. Bottom end is sound with uprated rods, no oil loss or smoke so unless i find a problem on the strip down it will just get balanced and re used.

although it looks cheaper to buy a complete motor than just a head!

sneekyparrot
19-09-12, 06:32 AM
sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.

that was the problem to start with Dave!
but i new straight away something was wrong with the idle and unless it had race cams it should have idled way better, i may have spent most of my time with bike motors but all of them have been modified and run power commanders or full 3d map systems so new it was not a result of a stand alone even without an idle valve.

the car is quick like bike quick so it was only after a few hrs in the car that really swung it for me, well that and the fact i could not find the source of my concerns!

mid range great but top end wheezy and bottom off idle was getting worse, oil leaks, water leaks, electrics all over the place. It was time to send it to its maker for a full diag.

At least i know what the prob is now and i will address it so watch this space ;-)

hey be good to meet up a donny when its done and see if you think the upgrades have improved it? Traction could be fun with the extra hp thou!

:thumbsup:

P.

Jay-ZS+
19-09-12, 06:51 AM
Oi that's my motto :laugh: V V V

And a good one it is too!! :)

sneekyparrot
23-10-12, 06:43 PM
Only a little update. I have started to strip the car but with it so low it was proving a pain to get under to even drain the fluids So I purchased a few goodies from cj autos:
Mobile axle stand / lifting beam and mechanics car creeper.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/A2776DA0-BCC3-4BDC-87BE-4E9788A4E093-7325-000003AFFEE3D63B.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/CAA472BC-6075-4D9B-8BFB-9142AC3A20FE-7325-000003B00E7E423F.jpg
Not much camber left :-)
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/B8CA77FB-8C35-49A2-85C8-95D3EBB4216C-7325-000003B01B66C6C9.jpg

Well on with the strip down, doors , seats and bumpers next after that the motor is coming out.
Only prob is a couple of cracked ribs following a small accident trying to use a 6x2 timber as a jacking beam has me side lined lol!

L8r's
P.

Quadcam24
23-10-12, 08:24 PM
shagginell whats that codge, welded up the nut, lol.
hope your ribs are ok !

Maxxed_Ross
24-10-12, 05:22 AM
that camber adjuster looks a bit nasty. I've been hunting for months for a decent one but they all seem to be sliding nut typres like that. I just don't trust it!

Supercharged_Z
24-10-12, 06:16 AM
that camber adjuster looks a bit nasty. I've been hunting for months for a decent one but they all seem to be sliding nut typres like that. I just don't trust it!

To be fair these are the expensive ones, I found them ok slot better tan the eBay specials

Quadcam24
24-10-12, 06:29 AM
yes they were expensive, not them cheapo jobs you can get.
They used to work well but obviously somethings happened since.

Supercharged_Z
24-10-12, 06:32 AM

I never paid attention to them apart from doing up one of the fixings as you suggested, sadly it would be the guy who I bought it off...

Maxxed_Ross
24-10-12, 08:07 AM
from an engineering point of view it just looks weak and like it could move too easily...

sneekyparrot
11-11-12, 01:05 PM

I got in touch with SPC to find out they stopped making them but still have a few spares which is good so ordering up some new ball joints with the adjusters etc.
They can supply new mounting bushes but going to get one out and look for a super flex equiv.

The are the best i have seen and come with castor adjustment as well which is a bonus just a shame the stopped making them.

sneekyparrot
11-11-12, 01:10 PM
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/BFACDFAB-A836-4967-92F8-1394AF9F4D5D-14775-00000891029CF884.jpg

strip down still on going, almost at engine box out stage :-)

stripped out all the ABS today. Going from straight master cylinder to front calipers with braided line / splitter but the rear will have a bias control valve in the car to give me some control over the rears!

once the motor is out then the stitch welding begins!

P.

Supercharged_Z
11-11-12, 01:45 PM
Change that engine / gearbox mount for a 420 turbo one if you can

sneekyparrot
11-11-12, 01:51 PM
Change that engine / gearbox mount for a 420 turbo one if you can

Hi ya m8,

Is it a more sturdy item?

Supercharged_Z
11-11-12, 01:57 PM
There is a more sturdy one I'm sure it's a 420 t or 420 nasp version to be honest.

That's the mount that snapped on me. It rocks a heck of a lot

sneekyparrot
11-11-12, 02:18 PM
K, will do some digging unless anyone else can confirm.

Cheers

petet16
11-11-12, 02:25 PM
It looks like the v6 mount bolted to the chassis rail, and something fabricated to attach it to the gearbox.

petet16
11-11-12, 02:30 PM
Some pics of the 420 mount
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/petet16/100_1171.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/petet16/100_1170.jpg

sneekyparrot
28-12-12, 04:14 PM
Well Its been a while so thought i would post a little update!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/EngineLift-small_zpsa8bc8b84.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/8BEB9749-8BCE-405D-84F5-D140FFCD5BF3-28074-0000100EDBFF77C7.jpg

Engine Out and parked ready for strip down. I have just picked up a new large port AGU head, this will be matched to the large port inlet manifold then the whole lot ported for flow.
Motor will be stripped / checked / balanced and rebuilt will AGU pistons and rings to increase the compression ratio, hoping this little lot with the new Manifold / 550cc injectors will see around 325-330hp but with lower boost and lower egt's:clap2:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/1D9DAA97-A27D-472C-9C8B-D14F04AC9D78-28074-0000100EEE5F536D.jpg
Clutch looked worn but a quick chat with manufacturer and its only got 20-25% wear phew!

The chassis is now being fully stripped, stitch welded then repainted. After scouring the tinternet and finding a number of recommendations from restore guys i will be using POR15 materials for the underside which should be a dam sight better than the rather dubious MG/Rover finish! It seems the seam sealer is either a foot thick or missing completely, a number of joining panels have missed the welding machine completely and some of the floor plan covering is so thin the water has got behind it and it flaked off with very little effort!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/IMG_1698_zpsa0625f43.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/IMG_1697_zps48a5b335.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/810C4D79-356E-4552-BE0B-DDF9C03CF92A-5555-0000036F0B70F8B6.jpg
I was a little surprised to find nothing along the front scuttle joining the 2 front sections of the roll cage, This will be installed along with gusseting which will fix the cage to the roof / A pillars / B pillars. I am also getting a local company to make me up some bracing for the rear strut housings, i did try and work a solution for the front struts but it was going to be far to much work so will prob just run a top brace.

Parts are still arriving! picked these up will only a couple of thou on them :clap:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/4DBC8144-8B52-492A-9F55-AA46D5729789-5555-00000376C8DD584E.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/B2440271-42B2-4A4A-B5F0-DD817802B8C5-5555-00000376CF0868B2.jpg

Since the rebuild has ended up going much further than a thought, i am waiting for the right bits to come along at the right price although some will be bought new for my own piece of mind others from part builds or bought in error seem to come up more often than you think across the various civic forums.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/5CCC5BFE-2496-4F3C-AAA9-7979D20A9E50-5555-00000376E18E89CD.jpg
Had no choice but to buy these the last set of spares from spc direct for the front upper arms. It would of been cheaper to buy new skunk or buddyclub units but i like the SPC's arms, in fact the best i have seen with integrated castor adjustment.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/DD366BAA-1D01-4C90-9083-602262262B89-5555-000003769571CAE1.jpg
with all the hassles i had over suspected copies of the skunk 2 LCA i bought some 100% genuine items however apart from the serial numbers and 5 grooved bushes they are identical to the ones i already have, machining marks are the same and they both weigh in a just under 5lbs so i now have two sets :blink:

if anyone wants the other set then they will be up for grabs soon.

Will update again once all the welding has finished.

Paul

Drew
28-12-12, 04:28 PM
the hardrace are a good choise, still not really set mine up but it does handle pretty well with a new set of tyres and some toe adjustments!

Drew

sneekyparrot
28-12-12, 05:44 PM
the hardrace are a good choise, still not really set mine up but it does handle pretty well with a new set of tyres and some toe adjustments!

Drew

I have to agree they are about the best priced / quality items out there. I wanted the spc ones but they refused to supply me from the us, only thru eibach over here but I ain't paying there prices!!
Although they do some nice hollow arb kits I have been looking at :-)

sneekyparrot
12-01-13, 09:30 AM
I want some mods done to the tornado cage fitted in the reyland, across the bulkhead, better pickups on front and rear struts and some gusseting from cage to the chassis. I just don't have the time to measure up and make moulds of what I want to send to tornado do searched the net and fouń this guy about 20 mins from home http://tube-bender.co.uk/

He is coming round Tuesday night after work to take a look and measure up so will let the forum know how it turns out, already impressed with the response of no probs I will come after work and we can sort out what you want :-)))

If only all were so helpful !

Paul

peterzs
12-01-13, 10:05 AM
Always an interesting read, and well done, the bender guy.

90% way above my head, but changing pads for me is a challenge!!!!!!

Keep the reports coming in, will be a monster when its finished.

:wave::wave::wave:

sneekyparrot
13-01-13, 06:51 AM
Always an interesting read, and well done, the bender guy.

90% way above my head, but changing pads for me is a challenge!!!!!!

Keep the reports coming in, will be a monster when its finished.

:wave::wave::wave:

Hope so Pete.

Almost blew the budget when a 600hp+ freshly built motor came along lol!
But that will have to wait till I can get it running the rear wheel.

P.

stamford
13-01-13, 09:12 AM
Hope so Pete.

Almost blew the budget when a 600hp+ freshly built motor came along lol!
But that will have to wait till I can get it running the rear wheel.

P.

600 plus would need AWD to make full use of it surely? 400 through the front is probably the limit I would think otherwise you'd be wrestling with it and be needing arms like Popeye!

Noobrider
13-01-13, 10:51 AM
we just built an Astra with a 2ltr turbo red top thats pushing 320Bhp. I would say 300 is about the limit for FWD as the wheels just light up all the time and the torque steer and total understeer makes it almost undriveable.

Quadcam24
13-01-13, 04:12 PM
depends on a few things tbh, fwd can handle over 300 but you preferably want a large turbo that can run low boost instead of a small turbo running high boost, that will help keep torque down, then you need a progressive map for a linear delivery, good tyres, lsd etc.

Eddie
22-01-13, 04:41 PM
Done some tuning in Jan for low boost just ramped up the boost and didn't add any timing at all, from 10.6 psi AFR's from 6k rpm to 9k rpm where 10.5 pig rich but it was to see % of power for boost.
On the road at 13.7psi is was easy to drive, I would drive it n track and would not expect problem with torque or understeer.
It's how you dial in the rest of the car that counts, so it can be done if you know how to set up the car.

PSI FlyHP WHP Torque
8.5 338bhp 276whp 214ft/lbs
9.6 349bhp 289whp 230ft/lbs
10.6 354bhp 293whp 244ft/lbs
11.9 365bhp 304whp 258ft/lbs
12.7 383bhp 316whp 264ft/lbs
13.7 396bhp 325whp 273ft/lbs

Maxxed_Ross
22-01-13, 07:14 PM
what you really have to consider is the number of wet days we have!

Eddie
23-01-13, 12:20 PM
what you really have to consider is the number of wet days we have!

That's a good reason to then run boost by gear or RPM, deliver the power you want in each gear to avoid having to run say 300hp from 1st to 5th, ramp up the boost in each gear, race logic traction control it's also helps a lot.
When it's wet I don't drive anything quick on the road, pointless for many reason other than traction.

sneekyparrot
27-04-13, 02:27 PM
Arfternoon,
Not updated this for a while! done loads but will give a better update later.

Just had this arrive and very happy, worth the wait :-)

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/34044FB3-92B8-4DB2-91EA-409E8746A18F-48219-00000BDBE8807CDF.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/573FDEAD-076D-4977-9043-3C70100B2668-48219-00000BDBE275C236.jpg

Massive weight save.

Planning to get it flocked to match the steering wheel once everything is positioned and i am happy with the layout!

:bounce:

BUCKYDEVIL
27-04-13, 02:53 PM
Nice litle update but dash is a bit dark to make out in pic, will look awsome when flocked
also loving the General Lee there "Yeee-Haa!"

Supercharged_Z
27-04-13, 03:18 PM
your mental Paul. Truly mental

sneekyparrot
27-04-13, 03:23 PM
your mental Paul. Truly mental

Lmao.
Your not the first to say that!

P.

sneekyparrot
27-04-13, 03:25 PM
Nice litle update but dash is a bit dark to make out in pic, will look awsome when flocked
also loving the General Lee there "Yeee-Haa!"

Will get some better pics up soon.

No garage is complete without the general

T!ts are on the other side :-))

Cally180
27-04-13, 03:26 PM
Looking good, will look the part once done!

sneekyparrot
02-05-13, 06:38 PM
Just picked up these from Simon, damm shame he is having to break the britcar but at least they have gone to a good cause :-)

duncs
07-05-13, 03:52 PM
Very interested to see how this pans out :)

If it helps at all Bill at Badger 5 www.badger5.co.uk has been working on Boost by Gear maps on the OEM ME7 ECU for the 1.8T, so no aftermarket AVCR or MBC needed...

big_wasa
07-05-13, 05:02 PM
Ive just done a 20vt on Dta s60 wiring job for a local guy, Bill did the mapping and Lee spoke very highly of him.

sneekyparrot
07-05-13, 06:17 PM
Very interested to see how this pans out :)

If it helps at all Bill at Badger 5 www.badger5.co.uk has been working on Boost by Gear maps on the OEM ME7 ECU for the 1.8T, so no aftermarket AVCR or MBC needed...

I have seen bills site and follow him thru FB, he really knows his stuff!!
Only prob is the motor is running standalone MBE ecu with no bbg options.
I will eventually go big turbo and will prob drop the ecu for something like dta or pectel with the intention of running bbg / launch / traction but that's a little way off yet :-))

Cheers
P.

sneekyparrot
07-05-13, 06:19 PM
Ive just done a 20vt on Dta s60 wiring job for a local guy, Bill did the mapping and Lee spoke very highly of him.

Ummm that's interesting to know whose brains I can pick if I go dta route lol :-)

maxtherotti
08-05-13, 03:52 PM
Epic car
I remember when Dave first appeared on xpower forums with it (jesus that was some time ago!!)

Watching this with interest

Cheers Rob

big_wasa
08-05-13, 05:13 PM
Ummm that's interesting to know whose brains I can pick if I go dta route lol :-)

Ive done all sorts of wiring jobs for local guys.

vag 16v on Itb's with omex 600

Pug Gti6 on Itb's with omex 600

Ford Zetec Dta e48

20vt in a Caddy with Dta s60

And loads of ford Oem ecu rewires.

I just need to learn to map them.

Ive got an St170 engine that I am thinking of putting in a zs or a TF

sneekyparrot
12-05-13, 07:16 AM
I have not put much thought or ressarch into the ecu yet, but looks like you have wired up most of them :-)

Paul

sneekyparrot
12-05-13, 07:17 AM
Oh the st swap sound interesting!

WalkerDnB
12-05-13, 07:54 AM
Would be fun having the 170 engine in a tf. But it seems abit pointless putting one in a ZS as The zs180 is a quicker car.

big_wasa
10-08-13, 10:21 PM
Ive just finished the St170 engine. I think it would be great in a zs and just as quick as a 180 but more reliable. And it has a 6 speed box.

Ive made this one rwd http://youtu.be/Mvo3lazzSVo

Dave MGT
10-08-13, 10:32 PM
A st170 engine in a zs....???!!!
It's not even got a turbo.
Why bother? Even in a TF.
The v6 is much better and totally reliable. Plus a great 5 speed box
I would rather a 1.8 vvc than a st170 engine.

big_wasa
10-08-13, 11:17 PM
Haha I love my zetec's just not the cars there in. And yes the kv6 is a great engine unless you want to play with it.

Smokey
11-08-13, 12:24 AM
Surely turbo focus engine would be the way to go. Easily get 250+ out of it with minimal modification. Just fitting the ****** would be interesting though :S

tcb 180
11-08-13, 07:14 AM
Won't sound distinctive like that lovely kv6 note though. That alone does it for me sorry.

talkingcars
11-08-13, 08:36 AM
Personally I still fancy the ZS260......

Smokey
11-08-13, 09:04 AM
Personally I still fancy the ZS260......

This should happen!

Is there enough space though and is it feasible?

big_wasa
11-08-13, 09:11 AM
Nope it wont sound like a zs but the zetec is no different to the 20vt vag engine. It just has so much potential.

KevG
11-08-13, 02:29 PM
....or a T5 Volvo engine from a ST/RS.

talkingcars
11-08-13, 03:17 PM
This should happen!

Is there enough space though and is it feasible?

Not enough room in my driveway, my MGF only just fits if I park it parallel to the road.

Mark S
11-08-13, 04:46 PM
....or a T5 Volvo engine from a ST/RS.

I'd go with a t5 engine from a t5, ford messed about with st liners and they're not that strong. (rs should be cool tho)

Smokey
12-08-13, 12:17 AM
Not enough room in my driveway, my MGF only just fits if I park it parallel to the road.

I meant room in the engine bay of a ZS for a 260 V8?!

stamford
12-08-13, 07:09 AM
I meant room in the engine bay of a ZS for a 260 V8?!

You can make anything fit! That conversion is a wish list item for me :D A lot of work but what a project. If I had a garage big enough I would do that. I've fitted a V8 into a Chevette and a Bedford CF before now so not fazed by such work.

petet16
12-08-13, 07:51 AM
A V8 into a zs is a good idea, but not the v8 out of a 260.

big_wasa
12-08-13, 08:22 AM
No I wouldn't be fazed either. It is just the space needed for a project of that size.

stamford
12-08-13, 09:32 AM
Any conversion takes up space, but reckon the V8 into the ZS being a bigger job as it'll need to be converted to RWD. If I was going to do such a conversion then a different engine would be looked at, the ZT (Ford) V8 being a little lazy and poor on output from stock. Only a job to do if you had nothing better to spend your money on! Still would be good to see other engine configurations to replace the KV6 and release the power it should have had but still retaining a nice soundtrack.

ZS
12-08-13, 09:54 AM
Is there enough space for a V8 and RWD? - (RWD is something I've looked into before and if I had the money would consider trying...)

petet16
12-08-13, 10:29 AM
Is there enough space for a V8 and RWD? - (RWD is something I've looked into before and if I had the money would consider trying...)

I reckon so, but it would end up sat well back in the engine bay I think.

Lancia managed to shoehorn a 32 valve Ferrari V8 into a Thema shell to create the 8.32. (fwd)

http://budd.bundy.free.fr/les%20vraies/les%20autres/lancia/moteur%20thema.jpg

stamford
12-08-13, 11:49 AM
RWD will need a transmission tunnel fabricating/opened up plus the rear axle/suspension clearance and mountings. The fuel tank my require thinking about as not sure if this is in the propshaft route. The exhaust will need re-routing as the centre section uses what little tunnel there is. Quite where this goes without being there to be ripped off is another matter. It'll be a big bore too. One project I wouldn't mind tackling, just need to build an extension to the already tiny garage!

peterzs
12-08-13, 02:39 PM
or buy a 260 ZT!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Noobrider
12-08-13, 07:41 PM
all been done, the R1 drift car is proof of concept

talkingcars
12-08-13, 07:46 PM
all been done, the R1 drift car is proof of concept

But not as an everyday road car.

tb steve
12-08-13, 11:56 PM
Any conversion takes up space, but reckon the V8 into the ZS being a bigger job as it'll need to be converted to RWD. If I was going to do such a conversion then a different engine would be looked at, the ZT (Ford) V8 being a little lazy and poor on output from stock. Only a job to do if you had nothing better to spend your money on! Still would be good to see other engine configurations to replace the KV6 and release the power it should have had but still retaining a nice soundtrack.

go on you know you wont to

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Skillen
13-08-13, 07:25 AM
go on you know you wont to

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not wide enough at the back that.

sneekyparrot
17-08-13, 05:51 AM
Just way to pricey compared to what us available if you want rwd.
You only have to look at Ross's charged m3 or wander over the drift sites to see what can be picked up for the price of a decent v8 engine.

P.

Gonna have to upstate the rebuild soon, its moved on a hell of a lot since last time !

sneekyparrot
19-08-13, 05:15 PM
Ok on me hols in sunny Spain, we got wifi so thought I would try a little update before we head out for foods :-)

Cage updates:

Intention was and is to build a chassis to take a much more powerful motor, so I have been carrying out a few major mods to the cage.

Ummm gonna have to do this in stages! Bloody tapatalk grrr

sneekyparrot
19-08-13, 05:21 PM

The cage is now picking up the suspension / a pillar / b pillar / screen areas / across dash and behind the front seat. It's been triangulated from the b- pillars back to the rear suspension.
Once the rear has been stitch welded I can at last start re spraying the inside / engine bay.

sneekyparrot
19-08-13, 05:40 PM
The Avo suspension has been removed and sold, it was just way to soft for what I want and have planned for the car.
I have some new skunk pro c coilover's that were available so they were snapped up. These are much more in line with plan, fully adjustable from the top! And running much heavier spring rates 10k/8k. Although still a little softer than I planned but with all the chassis mods I was airing on caution as ATM I will still have to drive the car to the track.

Brakes will be 6 pots on huge discs as supplied from the creator aka mr reyland and apparently will stop the car with ease no matter what engine I fit :-)

All the abs system has been removed and is being replaced with manual control valves for the bias.

Still no sign of the btcc bodywork but its not like I need it ATM.

I have all the suspension stripped and ready for powder coating. Once painted they will be re assembled with poly bushes.

Still can't decide about the race dash or just strip the ***** out of the uber heavy stock unit and get that flocked? Ummm

Bloody doors weigh a tonne but I have a plan, just depends if it works out! If I can at least replace the front doors with fibre glass units then I reckon its more than achievable to get the scales close to 900kg mark and that with the new spec mk1 motor should make the thing fly!

Mk2 motor is now sitting in the shed but that's for another day hehe :-))

Mark S
19-08-13, 08:18 PM
what are you doing for rear brakes?

I don't know much about the mk1 dash, but the mk2 dash can be stripped right down to little more than the bare shell leaving the centre fix point and the sides, if you are putting race seats in - that usually sit lower, then its worth lowering the dash an inch or two so you can see over the clocks!
I did weigh a stripped one but I have forgotten how much it weighs, obviously not as light as a fibreglass copy - which is always an idea, but light enough not to be concerned too much about what it does weigh. (2.6kg is in my mind, but just a guess)

10 - 8's should be a good start point.

A real gain is sorting out the roll centre on the front, this will allow you to lower the car whilst maintaining correct scrub radius & contact pressure patch on the tyres.
This is what evrey one overlooks when they drop the car believing low cog is the answer then wonder why they are no quicker - just feels quicker 'cause their lower to the ground.

The kinematics need to work, and when they do, a simple change in tyre pressure will be noticeable.

Skillen
19-08-13, 09:19 PM

I don't know much about the mk1 dash, but the mk2 dash can be stripped right down to little more than the bare shell leaving the centre fix point and the sides, if you are putting race seats in - that usually sit lower, then its worth lowering the dash an inch or two so you can see over the clocks!
I did weigh a stripped one but I have forgotten how much it weighs, obviously not as light as a fibreglass copy - which is always an idea, but light enough not to be concerned too much about what it does weigh. (2.6kg is in my mind, but just a guess)

A real gain is sorting out the roll centre on the front, this will allow you to lower the car whilst maintaining correct scrub radius & contact pressure patch on the tyres.
This is what evrey one overlooks when they drop the car believing low cog is the answer then wonder why they are no quicker - just feels quicker 'cause their lower to the ground.

The kinematics need to work, and when they do, a simple change in tyre pressure will be noticeable.

when you say about sorting out the roll center is it an easy job to sort with easy to aquire pieces? or is it a case of really really knowing what you are doing (obviously this helps a huge amount with supseension geometry) and adjusting it because you understand how to.

I've just started reading into all this suspension jiggery pokery and its massively detailed and so far seems very easy to get wrong and ruin everything.

sneekyparrot
20-08-13, 07:59 AM

Hi mark,

Rears are just ebc race discs with matching pads / braided lines ATM. It's setup with bias control valve so should be able to tweek it. I may look at a rear upgrade if needed but not ATM.

It has full track / race uber light seats with a stack dash so will set everything inc dash to a comfortable heights.
Just thinking a stripped down mk1 dash may give it a little more original look ??

The suspension is fully adjustable ie camber/castor/toe/arbs/ ride height so I should be able to play with the setup once I get a feel for the car. Coming from 2 wheels its going to be a learning curve but its easier to adjust a bike than a car without all the gear. Looks like it will be a few hrs on a setup rig winding up and down the adjusters whilst making some markers some I can adjust it myself after that.

P.

Mark S
20-08-13, 10:47 PM
suspension geometry is very complex on these cars, the rear is dynamic - dynamic castor and toe, the front is a more straight forward double wishbone setup.

It is best left to people who really understand how to set these up, it is a great basis for a race car, very honda but the benefit of a longer wheelbase.

The roll centres are a well guarded secret, one I do not know myself, but if I did - as it is someone else's work, I wouldn't reveal all that time and effort on a public forum.

There are two people/companies I know of who could really set it up well, perhaps one better than the other, but they do charge well.
-when this knowledge is what is winning races (these guys set up race cars) they do tend to guard their knowledge.

One of these companies who I have used myself will give you a massive headache (brain ache as it is too much to take in) for days as they delve into suspension geometry at what they think is a basic level.
It's not something you will learn overnight.
All I can tell you is the roll centres are around 500 in parts, but intensive in the fitting and manipulation of parts - in the race series, you cannot alter pickup points, so I understand there is a lot of manipulation/strategic bending of parts to achieve the goal whilst keeping to regs.
It is this time (3 days?) that will cost the money.

I could have a good guess at what could be done in terms of parts, but I do not have the ability to draw up (the mathematical side) the suspension, scrub radius, roll centers, contact pressure etc etc, so it is far easier to pay the experts.

If the call is between roll centres and decent suspension with separate bump and rebound adjustment, it would likely be the suspension first.

sneekyparrot
05-09-13, 01:44 PM
Ahhh bollocks there is a reason why u should not drink and eBay! 😜😜

I appear to have bought a gripper diff so the quaife from the Reyland is up for grabs. Drop me a pm if anyone interested before it goes on fleabay.

P.

petet16
05-09-13, 02:54 PM
If you bought it while you were on the sherbet I'll give you £10 for it :smile1:

Jason
05-09-13, 09:26 PM
lmao...only just seen this thread...and after watching my brother build several projects, I fully expect this one to be the same, and spend the majority of the next 5 yrs in boxes and on stands, whilst he tells me I will change my mind when I drive or ride it......:-)))

:rofl:

sneekyparrot
05-09-13, 09:56 PM
Lol

Last couple did not turn out 2 bad :-)

sneekyparrot
30-01-14, 06:57 AM
Bummer situation at the moment, garage flooded after mains burst at top of drive and took out everything under the car which was there out of the way whilst welding / spraying.

Gripper diff / wiring harness's / ecu / stack dash all swimming in
3" of dirt filled water

😡😡

stamford
30-01-14, 07:01 AM
Will that be a claim against who is responsible for the damage?

sneekyparrot
30-01-14, 08:57 AM
Yes mick, Severn Trent admit liability and to be fair have had loss guy out. Only prob I see is they don't do new for old so guy is trying to inflate costs to cover replacements.
Finger crossed it don't drag out for weeks.

Real feel for those who complete house floods, the mess it made in just 2 hrs was impressive !

peterzs
30-01-14, 09:46 AM
We had the same thing last week.

Went out and found water rushing down the drive.

Appeared to come out where the sewer pipe came down the house. ££££'s sign at the thought of getting it sorted.

Then noticed it was still rushing down the drive, from a point outside the gate.

Water had pushed a telecom junction box lid off and water was pouring out.

The bit down the drive was coming out of their conduit, where they had brought the cable under the drive and up to the house.

Loads of stones and sand pushed out, water board were out in half an hour and fixed by 10.30 at night. Had to take our street light away as that was undermined.

As you say the amount of muck that gets pushed out is amazing. Lucky ours was a clean water main!!!

Hope they sort quickly and give generously for the replacement parts.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

petet16
30-01-14, 10:28 AM
That's not good, hope it all gets sorted swiftly.

stamford
30-01-14, 11:45 AM
At least they have admitted responsibility and it's getting assessed. If that was pushed through on your home insurance you would have trouble.

I once made a claim for a break-in and the assessor said car spares were not covered. I had 4 off Revolution alloys with M+S tyres taken and they said as they were not on a car they are not covered! FFS how can I fit several spare sets to one car! They were off my oval racer. Daft but there you have it.

peterzs
30-01-14, 01:39 PM
I was reading that Peter Best, covers spares stored in the house on their car insurance policies.

Not the car insurance, just checked and its their Household Policy.

adam
30-01-14, 02:12 PM
Ugh, that's gutting! Hope you manage to get some compo from the insurance.

sneekyparrot
30-01-14, 05:14 PM
Ugh, that's gutting! Hope you manage to get some compo from the insurance.

Fingers crossed, just waiting to here.

Things were going so well, just spraying up the engine bay / interior / mounting dash and new rad.

Now I gotta clear whole garage to get the bloody muck out, maybe Sunday once I build up to it lol.

sneekyparrot
20-10-14, 06:42 AM
Well its been a while since i updated anything so here goes.

Things moving along nicely, not fast due to work and lack of funds as always :laugh:

Old 180 Rad was beginning to fall apart so replaced with alloy Nissan unit but it needed a bit of work to fit.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/AF92D660-C9C3-4AAB-A4D0-F1D421E09F80.jpg

Lighter FLCA. From a civic but needed machining to accept the tapered MG ball joints:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/148C39D5-31B1-460E-8BCF-AD2C9CBA68E9.jpg

GearBox:
Has been rebuilt but ATB has been replaced with a Gripper Unit, plus a few tart up bits.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/FED5CC39-AFA6-4DA4-85E9-C6198E7D3493.jpghttp://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D1243BE8-A740-49A0-81D7-9312F16D2C77.jpg

Front End starting to go back together:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/761954C7-D1CD-4052-8023-D41DD86B75AA.jpg

Engine:
stripped and off to have the whole lot balanced to new pistons:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/C124127F-23FA-42A5-AFF2-B758347B111D.jpg

Basic tests to head showed something was indeed not good!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/8F9457C3-F5CF-4A56-BB1F-8FD91AF1EBEE.jpg

report from Head guy was bent inlets, worn guides on inlet and exhaust causing exhaust valves to not seat any more.
Head still being done at mo but this time its having:
Uprated supertech exhuast valves
new inlets
new guides
recut seat
ported and flowed.

Bottom end pretty much back together, just waiting for head then the whole lot can go back in once bay has brake lines etc fitted.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/71A7F8A5-3CD1-48D5-A67C-C33DC35EC641.jpg

The Qpeng ECU has been dumped in favour of something more conventional.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D0CA5B91-4030-4E2E-82EC-D50B0868123E.jpg

More to Follow :-)

stamford
20-10-14, 07:09 AM
Good to see some progress, front end is looking very clean and crisp. I do miss having the luxury of a garage, mine is too small. Looking ahead I'll be wanting to extend it and get my zed inside so I can do some work on it now its not a daily runner. With these sort of projects it's never about getting it finished for a particular date, more to do with when it's ready and to the original wish list.

petet16
20-10-14, 08:05 AM
Good progress, was the rad a custom build, or is it one of nissens standard range of rads, as 180 rads are nla and likely to remain so that could be a viable alternative.

peterzs
20-10-14, 08:25 AM
Always a good read, glad to see its coming on, after all the set backs.

:):):)

p_b82
20-10-14, 08:43 AM
Nice to read that there is some progress after the flooding setback!

At least now that the engine has been stripped and looked it it has shown where the problems were.

Keep at it and good luck :)

grimmy
20-10-14, 09:49 AM
Ffs Paul that thing is going to be a beast.Great to see the progress on it.

adam
20-10-14, 10:13 AM
Looking forward to see more progression with this, will be cracking when done!

sneekyparrot
20-10-14, 11:13 AM
Good progress, was the rad a custom build, or is it one of nissens standard range of rads, as 180 rads are nla and likely to remain so that could be a viable alternative.

Can't remember 100% if it was the 200 or 180sx alloy rad but I had to check out a few suppliers as they were all slightly different sizes. Unfortunately it's not a straight fit as the lower rail needs chopping about to get it.
Just rad cap and no fittings to tie in original expansion vessel but nothing to huge.
Just nowt out there that will slot in place, as I am finding with everything hence me having to make most bit up myself.

petet16
20-10-14, 11:32 AM
Cheers for the info re rad.

peterzs
20-10-14, 11:54 AM
cant get over how clean all the bits are, makes me want to grab a spanner or two and get at it!!!

:-D:-D:-D

talkingcars
20-10-14, 05:36 PM
I'm liking the attention to detail.

Pete, you can't clean with spanners..........LOL

ZS Phil
20-10-14, 07:11 PM
I absolutely love this car. Superb attention to detail and it clearly looks like it has fallen into good hands.
Just out of interest, does the Reyland conversion include custom drive shafts or are they a standard MGR shaft?

Skillen
20-10-14, 10:40 PM
I wonder if those awesome looking front arms would foul brembo caliber sir help reduce the fouling.
I need them in purple along with rear LCA's.

Any benefits to them apart from looking awesome?

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 05:47 AM
I absolutely love this car. Superb attention to detail and it clearly looks like it has fallen into good hands.

Just out of interest, does the Reyland conversion include custom drive shafts or are they a standard MGR shaft?

Stock drive shafts, just a custom plate to pickup the long one on back of audi motor.

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 05:54 AM
I wonder if those awesome looking front arms would foul brembo caliber sir help reduce the fouling.

I need them in purple along with rear LCA's.

Any benefits to them apart from looking awesome?

Umm not 100% on that, it's usually the nut but u can use a smaller nut size to aid clearance .
Not sure I would use these yet on an everyday car / Brit roads :-)

They are substantially lighter than stock units but aimed at track / race cars. Be interesting to see how they hold up.

They r from dna motoring in the states.

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 05:56 AM
Front suspension together:

stamford
21-10-14, 06:57 AM
What upper arms are they? They look well made.

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 08:07 AM
What upper arms are they? They look well made.

They are from Spc mick but they are no longer in production. Cost an arm and a leg for the very last service kit from us suppliers but worth it. Adjustable camber and castor[emoji106]

Skillen
21-10-14, 09:01 AM
Not sure I would use these yet on an everyday car / Brit roads :-)

Is that due to the polybushes? Or something else I don't see due to being blinded by awesome.

In all I'm just thinking in terms of general bling for the car (who doesn't want cool lookin bits) and lighter suspension components can't hurt I guess.

The whole front set up looks great though.
Makes me want to spend loads haha.

duncs
21-10-14, 08:57 PM
Great update, good to see you're back at it again :)

What's the reason for the swap of pistons? Stock AUQ 1.8T ones are forged Mahle and are good for ~500bhp...

Mark S
21-10-14, 09:03 PM
Paul, checked out the rdna page, bu no products/prices, any idea how much the front arms are?

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 09:21 PM
Great update, good to see you're back at it again :)

What's the reason for the swap of pistons? Stock AUQ 1.8T ones are forged Mahle and are good for ~500bhp...

I am being greedy [emoji13]

Stock bam pistons run 9,0,1, these ones are agu @ 9.5.1 with new rings on honed bores.
Being guided by those who are running / have run some nice hp from k04 turbo's.

Sort of hoping with the new injectors / pro4 mani / flowed head that I can ease off the boost but raise the hp to match torque. Too much at mo to up the turbo size.

sneekyparrot
21-10-14, 09:37 PM
Paul, checked out the rdna page, bu no products/prices, any idea how much the front arms are?

Think this link will work

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151384007000

But if you search eBay for civic front lower control arms fcla u should fine them.

Sorry my mistake they are from
DNA motoring, will dig out email address.

P.

redzed
22-10-14, 09:41 AM
Front suspension together:

i just wet my pants

Mark S
22-10-14, 06:04 PM
Think this link will work

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151384007000

But if you search eBay for civic front lower control arms fcla u should fine them.

Sorry my mistake they are from
DNA motoring, will dig out email address.

P.

Thanks Paul, yep, they are all over ebay USA!!!

one thing I have noticed of concern, is they all claim "LCA's help reduce the amount of camber when lowering your vehicle's suspension" which indicated that these arms are shorter than the ZS/civic ones.

Have you checked them dimensionally?

Would it be asking too much for you to post up a few pics with a measure between bolt holes to find out if they're the same dimensions?

If they are, it could be worth a group buy to get the postage costs right down.

Quadcam24
22-10-14, 08:21 PM
nice work sneekyparrot

Maxfly
22-10-14, 08:35 PM
Can I just in passing say this is ******* brilliant? Just cos it is tbh!

sneekyparrot
23-10-14, 03:58 PM
Can I just in passing say this is ******* brilliant? Just cos it is tbh!

Cheers bud,

Wait till the motors in and it's all hooked up, should look the part but still have those who think its a rover lol.

sneekyparrot
23-10-14, 04:00 PM
Thanks Paul, yep, they are all over ebay USA!!!

one thing I have noticed of concern, is they all claim "LCA's help reduce the amount of camber when lowering your vehicle's suspension" which indicated that these arms are shorter than the ZS/civic ones.

Have you checked them dimensionally?

Would it be asking too much for you to post up a few pics with a measure between bolt holes to find out if they're the same dimensions?

If they are, it could be worth a group buy to get the postage costs right down.

No worries will check it again this weekend but I'm sure they are the same length as I was concerned with losing camber, I want more not less [emoji106]

Will post some pics.

Guess my only concern is will they stand up to the rigours of the British weather / **** poor road surfaces ??

Mark S
23-10-14, 04:31 PM
I emailed one of the companies in the US about length, they said they are the same dimensions as std one, so ...
I think they are trying to say the camber deflection will not be so great as the arms have some form of polybush in them, sadly, there is no spherical option, so it would be another retro-fit job!!!

I need to get some expert advise on the strength of the parts, one thing I have noticed is
"Unique only to the Omni-Power product line, our light weight front lower control arms (FLCA’s) are forged with certified T6-2014 aluminum (100% stronger than 6061-T6)"

So, need to find out if T6061 is up to the job...

sneekyparrot
23-10-14, 04:54 PM
I did look into what they were made of before buying , the 2000 range is mostly used but the aircraft industry and is stronger than 6000 range but my needs are different to others as I won't be using the car everyday.

petet16
23-10-14, 05:23 PM
2025T6 we commonly use, and 7074 which has a higher nickel content, it's stronger than 2025 but more brittle.

petet16
23-10-14, 07:24 PM
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061t6

duncs
23-10-14, 07:38 PM
I am being greedy [emoji13]

Stock bam pistons run 9,0,1, these ones are agu @ 9.5.1 with new rings on honed bores.
Being guided by those who are running / have run some nice hp from k04 turbo's.

Sort of hoping with the new injectors / pro4 mani / flowed head that I can ease off the boost but raise the hp to match torque. Too much at mo to up the turbo size.

The bigport head will help with flow once you get the boost up :)

On a stock 9.5:1 AUQ lump with a hybrid k03/k04 I made 280bhp and 290 tq at 1.25-1.3 bar; changed the turbo for a GT28RS modded to fit the stock manifold and made 310bhp with 300tq at 1.3 bar. Biggest difference was the boost staying to the limiter at 7200 :-D

I could've pushed it to 330bhp @1.5bar on that setup but that was still running the stock fuel pump, LCR 370cc injectors and a 4bar fpr.

Keeping an eye on this to see where you end up with it, the car looks fantastic! Jealous, just a wee bit :whistle:

I've got my old engine in the garage, I keep looking at that and eyeing up my wife's 400...

BUCKYDEVIL
24-10-14, 12:10 AM
Read through this all again from the start & can't help be drawing in like a moth to a flame by how good this looks like it's gonna turn out
Cant be easy putting so much money into a an old ZS and going on with family matters etc etc
Wish you all the best with the project Paul.
Great work.

sneekyparrot
24-10-14, 02:57 PM
Cheers for the info re rad.

Better pic Peter, show the lower rail chopped about to get rad in.

petet16
24-10-14, 03:22 PM
Cheers, a bit of work needed to make it fit then.

sneekyparrot
25-10-14, 10:43 AM
Cheers, a bit of work needed to make it fit then.

yep, same with most things for ZS's! not alot of ppls doing aftermarket parts for them anymore.

thats why i end up doing most work myself. Just had the gear turn up to make my own bushes.

almost at point of giving up with waiting for ppls to make bodykits / doors etc so started looking into how i can make my own :hmmm:

may even put it back on road as a mk1 to start with so i can at least drive it :clap:

Mark S
25-10-14, 04:40 PM
yep, same with most things for ZS's! not alot of ppls doing aftermarket parts for them anymore.

thats why i end up doing most work myself. Just had the gear turn up to make my own bushes.

almost at point of giving up with waiting for ppls to make bodykits / doors etc so started looking into how i can make my own :hmmm:

may even put it back on road as a mk1 to start with so i can at least drive it :clap:

I thought Eddie Farrow had found someone to do the btc kits?

sneekyparrot
26-10-14, 06:58 AM
So I believe mark but every time I ask for prices / pictures it all goes quiet??

Mark S
26-10-14, 07:57 AM
There's pics of it from yesteryear, same kit as ex260 like this http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/731/MG-ZS-EX260_4.html from what I have seen, but eddie needs to fabricate the door box sides.

If your feeling handy with fibreglass (polyfibre is on your door), I wonder what could be knocked up from a basis of universal fibreglass arches, a mk2 front bumper and some creativity???
Whilst many knock the ugly mk2 front bumper in btc, it does help cool the tyres and the splitter should provide more downforce too, but it looks super easy to diy replicate at home.
Would you want the door pods or some decent sills? for me, big sills in alloy would be my choice over big box section of fibreglass.

Quadcam24
09-11-14, 01:01 PM
Cheers bud,

Wait till the motors in and it's all hooked up, should look the part but still have those who think its a rover lol.

that was always such a grin...i remember chasing down an old ferrari 328 at combe , my mate had a 348 at the time and he was always biggin it up, he didnt say much in response to my video evidence. lol

sneekyparrot
14-12-14, 03:22 PM
A Small update :-)

I have the head back from ALD Developments and its looking brand new. Uprated valves, ported and flowed :-))

No pics yet as i dropped the head straight over to Andy Cowen (C&C Engineering) he is making me up a Phenolic Intake Gasket.

I could not buy the bushes i wanted for the engine mounts so thought i would have a crack at making my own, i mean how hard can it be :mml:

The LR discovery rear arm bushes fit the Metro LHS mount, well with a bit of work! I wanted the hardness rating to be 70
Not to hard but stiffer than rubber, but the ones i managed to get hold of very very soft.

Used a plastic tub , some resin plaster and giving the existing bushes a good coat of release agent.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/72A0C771-D08E-4FFF-9921-735653572CD3.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/E9BC27EB-902E-4E5A-8C4B-736B61C143CB.jpg

the finished moulds needed a bit of work to iron out the imperfections.

When i mixed up the poly i found i had been sent the wrong pigment :jump:
I asked for a solid yellow colour but the stuff they sent just turned the poly transparent yellow!

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/25D4BF37-12A7-4793-9BA6-EF73FBB2AD36.jpg

I coated the mould with release agent but the fecking thing was solid when i tried to remove them! the spray release stuff they sent was kak tbh, i recon the resin plaster just soaked it up so i would of been better of covering them in Vaseline but hey you live and learn.

Wish they were both the same colour as G/Box mount but i'm not making another mould so will have to do. G/box all went well till the rear mould started to leak about half way thru pouring the poly, made a right mess but managed to clear up most of it while it was curing.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/A0251759-24E9-48BD-9310-CCFF79D00AE3.jpg

AN fittings have arrived to make up the power steering pipes / clutch pipe. Found some local guys who are doing the lot for me at a very good price, they even delivered them to my door as he lives round the corner and was passing on his way home :mml::mml:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/9FCBF65D-D36D-41E5-94A6-02DAC04A4247.jpg

P.

talkingcars
14-12-14, 04:54 PM
Defiantly getting personal.

peterzs
15-12-14, 10:04 AM
Good to see the yellow!!!

Love the attention to detail.

:clap::clap::clap:

Mark S
15-12-14, 07:52 PM
what is the shore rating of those?

not thought about delrin or equivalent?

sneekyparrot
16-12-14, 05:03 PM
what is the shore rating of those?

not thought about delrin or equivalent?

they are 70 Mark

the gearbox bush can only be bought from rimmers etc and with just a rubber bush, no one produces an after market replacement. Same story for the metro mount.

Now i know what the pitfalls are i can make up some more softer ones if needed but saying that with the seats now mounted to the cage and 550lb springs etc i doubt these will add much more vibrations lol.

P.

sneekyparrot
27-01-15, 06:42 PM
How about an update whilst i am waiting for the paint fumes to leave the garage :-)

Got the Turbo Hotside and Manifold back from Andy @ C&C. They needed a skim to get them flat so i can run a gasket less seal. But the difference between the Mani and Hot-side i substantial!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/2B47C5DD-BFF1-4456-BA5E-ED5E962B3179.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/152A7293-0D94-4271-A0AF-CE779E7935A3.jpg

So out with the Die grinder for a night of porting.

Much Better:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/3191C177-6D54-49C7-A792-5996F9FDD19A.jpg

Whilst i was in there it seemed a waste not to do the complete Hot-side, removing some of the horrible abrupt castings which effect exhaust flow and increase the EGT's on the hybrids.

Not just random thou it was all fully researched:beer:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/A545792A-B0A4-4274-8DB2-161376567FA3.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/0915C573-3363-420C-9D28-45DED6C102AF.jpg

Inlet Manifold port matched and flowed a little to remove some poor casting:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/ED144CBC-D293-42CC-9F99-60A3171CE839.jpg

Head work is sweet with loads of shiny new Valves:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/B6A23848-7F35-4829-867B-65AF9417C78F.jpg

Almost Done:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/F7CDDCC5-F9C5-4F83-8A2B-C66271C3842C.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/7CDFBD51-9067-4B49-A2DF-858FADEBEAA8.jpg

Just waiting for some new Turbo fittings which should arrive before the weekend, so if all goes well it will be back under the bonnet this weekend.

superb :-)

talkingcars
27-01-15, 07:05 PM
Yet more stunning work.

stamford
27-01-15, 07:38 PM
Nice! :D Good old engineers blue, every garage should have a tin!

peterzs
27-01-15, 09:18 PM
Mega impressed, love all the engineering thats going into the engine, and the rest of the car.

:yes::yes::yes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

adam
27-01-15, 09:25 PM
Coming along very nicely indeed.

duncs
27-01-15, 09:28 PM
Great update, keep them coming!! :D

sneekyparrot
28-01-15, 06:05 AM
Nice! :D Good old engineers blue, every garage should have a tin!

Best £2.95 I spent in a while!

P.

stamford
28-01-15, 06:50 AM
Best £2.95 I spent in a while!

P.

No idea what mine cost, it's that old! Must be over 30 years old!

sneekyparrot
03-02-15, 07:08 AM
Umm at which point did my engineering brain think it would
Be a good idea to measure the 420 gearbox mount say against the one the car was designed with?

Well buy one, completely rebuild it , make a poly bush for it, fit it to gearbox and then spend an hr fitting the lump in the bay. Install the 2 other mounts and then try to bolt up gearbox !!!

Guess what it's a fecking mile out [emoji35]

What a knob[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

M17TT180
03-02-15, 07:24 AM
Umm at which point did my engineering brain think it would
Be a good idea to measure the 420 gearbox mount say against the one the car was designed with?

Well buy one, completely rebuild it , make a poly bush for it, fit it to gearbox and then spend an hr fitting the lump in the bay. Install the 2 other mounts and then try to bolt up gearbox !!!

Guess what it's a fecking mile out [emoji35]

What a knob[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

If at first you don't succeed, hit it with a hammer.

peterzs
03-02-15, 08:45 AM
With your skills, just a new problem to solve.

Hanging bracket there. Drill. Tap and thread to hang it, sorted.

sneekyparrot
03-02-15, 02:45 PM
With your skills, just a new problem to solve.

Hanging bracket there. Drill. Tap and thread to hang it, sorted.

Unfortunately not so simple, it's about 40mm short of the side frame. Box must sit closer to the rhs on a diesel :-(

will keep hold of it and get a spacer made up if the stock v6 one plays up again.

cheers

P.

sneekyparrot
31-03-16, 06:54 AM
Wow, been a while since i updated this :-)

I Did create a FB page which is so easy to update but tbh i have started to un follow a number of MG sites, sick of the knob head keyboard warriors.

Page:

https://www.facebook.com/ReylandZsTurbo/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

for those that are on FB still.

Update:

Unfortunatley work took a nose dive with bad debt etc so car pretty much stood still, with no spare cash and feeling pretty peeeed off i had little enthusiasm but things slowly turned around and work commenced with a tad more passion.

so i'll start where i think i left off with engine re built.

well its in :
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/E7857C1B-E35A-408E-B635-60FF0434D52C.jpg

more later, gotta upload pics to photobucket.

Lukeus101
31-03-16, 08:13 AM
This thing is going to look epic!!!

That said it looks that now!

Nice one mate

Skillen
31-03-16, 09:38 AM
Think you've got your engine backwards pal. XD

sneekyparrot
31-03-16, 04:19 PM
Brakes Thx To Martin @ Reylands. These combined with 300mm rear vented should sort out the stopping. Not yet selected pads, waiting to hear from PBS.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/FA548835-A989-4902-BF8B-EAC603438E9B.jpg

Seat mounts and fuel cell area added in.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D22EEB3C-6676-4405-B55F-BD1516BCAE04.jpg

Fuel Cell added, with room for next size up if required.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/50CA4BA9-AB3A-47CD-9F5B-9767F58C9D77.jpg

Testing Seat Locations:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/CC7CE1C0-6B09-4A16-8D6F-D45968DCC978.jpg

Dumped the FibreGlass Dash and gone Stripped out mk2, looks much better. Just took a while to get new mounts made up.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D22FEF80-F9FC-4C1B-92A6-4D9C313669D5.jpg

Stripped down steering coloum and welded in quick release for wheel.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/F58E8DA8-5C78-4A01-9176-5AAEFBA2442D.jpg

sneekyparrot
31-03-16, 05:15 PM
Pedal Box Rebuilt with added switch for flat shift. Future plans are to go with adjustable pedal box to provide better control over the braking.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/878A9A97-C27C-44F9-8A34-44835A945678.jpg

Small 56mm TB has been replaced with a big bore 60mm unit, Andy Cowen @C&C engineering bored it through to remove the steps. He then made up a new butterfly. New turbo will need a 70mm TB to reach full potential but that also mean new pipwork and intercooler mods, it will Wait !!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/92F352D6-1820-4A15-8F4D-D76BE1E5ED75.jpg

Intercooler / Radiator:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/AB9DAA4C-5152-4D68-B141-A07C98CE5E38.jpg

Then made a start on the rear chassis. Inside was already stitched but underneath still needed to be done, not something i was looking forward to. Week of prep before i could even get the welder out.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D3F48A98-308B-416F-9443-178787FF2FF4.jpg

Shop of horror's covered with sealer, Missed welds and panels that dont even meet up & i thought the front was bad :-)))
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/1DAE5D40-482E-4AF6-9F62-0E3C7F428017.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/607608BA-AB31-4903-B99B-EDDDD5E9C8E6.jpg

Done and what a fecking pain in arse, never again without flipping the car. Trying to weld upside down to different thickness metals then throw in seam sealer still squeezed in there for good measure :mad:

oh i also welded in a lower brace at the same time:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/7182DF26-E214-4733-ACCD-EA5661C96F46.jpg

Next stage was clean down seal and paint. I used Por-15 and Por top coat but u have to follow its prep to the letter. It took a week to get it prepared, followed by 7hrs painting but very happy with how it came out.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/40434E2B-EE6D-4943-BE6B-A0180554D28A.jpg

more to follow :-))

adam
31-03-16, 05:22 PM
Gorgeous!

stamford
31-03-16, 05:37 PM
Well worth the wait Paul, looking good and some surprising shots of the poor fits there, seam sealer hides all manner of things.

sneekyparrot
31-03-16, 06:25 PM
Thx Guys :-))

not finished yet thou :rofl:

Dash prep done, all none essential holes filled. Ready for flocking.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/F111B133-AFF5-4657-A7DE-5903893AF718.jpg

Load of parts powder coated by my local firm
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/6AACA186-0899-4237-B7FC-5306A737AA55.jpg

New wheels with correct ET from Jasons Car, powder coated Kawasaki Green:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/27DBDD36-B226-4344-9537-BC5A73E6D8D0.jpg

Belts from Mr Burchill.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/E24F612E-8511-4CA0-990D-19C5816D4243.jpg

Build Time :-)
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/A7F6E0EB-271D-4F28-A2A8-C64DC66258C6_1.jpg

sneekyparrot
31-03-16, 06:52 PM
There will be no dials in the car bar this:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/3a3ccdb5-d533-4e6a-9674-bd25b77c436a.jpg

its come from a GT race car, snapped his hand off with what he wanted compared to buying it new. Emerald will output direct to this so everything should be displayed on the various screens according to the manual, prob bollocks.

p_b82
31-03-16, 08:03 PM
I've looked through the pics on FB, but not as slowly - that thing'll fly when it is done :D

ZS Phil
31-03-16, 09:15 PM
It goes without saying that this is going to be seriously quick but it's also going to be a show stopper as well, the attention to detail is second to none. When are you hoping to have it ready for? Any events in the pipeline as a target?

redzed
01-04-16, 07:44 AM
Awesome work! Fancy doing mine after?

sneekyparrot
01-04-16, 12:05 PM
Awesome work! Fancy doing mine after?

Ooo working holiday [emoji23][emoji23]

sneekyparrot
01-04-16, 04:31 PM
It goes without saying that this is going to be seriously quick but it's also going to be a show stopper as well, the attention to detail is second to none. When are you hoping to have it ready for? Any events in the pipeline as a target?

Aiming to have it running sometime July.

It will then need running in, mapping and off to RaceDna for suspension setup.

hopefully during the run in there won't be many faults to correct :-))

P.

JOHNDQ
01-04-16, 05:06 PM
Nice job i had Reyland make me up discs, bells and brackets for my ZR using my own calipers really helpful and saved me buying new calipers

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk4/JohnLucy/temporary_zpstwfntujt.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/JohnLucy/media/temporary_zpstwfntujt.jpg.html)

sneekyparrot
02-04-16, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=JOHNDQ;369245]Nice job i had Reyland make me up discs, bells and brackets for my ZR using my own calipers really helpful and saved me buying new calipers

Thx John :-)

You just can't knock Martins brake systems, they just work period. Thats all he's doing these days and is run off his feet!

P.

JOHNDQ
02-04-16, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=JOHNDQ;369245]Nice job i had Reyland make me up discs, bells and brackets for my ZR using my own calipers really helpful and saved me buying new calipers

Thx John :-)

You just can't knock Martins brake systems, they just work period. Thats all he's doing these days and is run off his feet!

P.

Yes when it was doing mine he was saying all he was going to do was brakes. Will be using him again soon after after some 300x24mm for the rear on the ZR :smile1:

redzed
03-04-16, 04:07 AM
ooo working holiday [emoji23][emoji23]

👍

ZS Phil
03-04-16, 09:35 PM
off to RaceDna for suspension setup..

Watching the Race DNA ZS at Donnington today, whatever they do, it works.

Mark S
04-04-16, 11:48 AM
Thx Guys :-))

New wheels with correct ET from Jasons Car, powder coated Kawasaki Green:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/27DBDD36-B226-4344-9537-BC5A73E6D8D0.jpg

good to see them get some use, they've only done a few hundred miles over the years.

sneekyparrot
10-04-16, 08:21 AM
Looks like its back to stock arms. These Skunk2 Rlca's have a different location for the lower shock mount, trying to force it into position is going to stress that bush before we even start.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/9F47C96A-1461-4FC8-AFCE-125BB3C9A739.jpg

Stock V Skunk2:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/4903BD42-6C7B-48FB-B1DA-9D562C579A0A.jpg

Time to rebuild the stock units!

Ritchy
07-05-16, 07:50 AM
glad to see this coming together

Quadcam24
28-06-16, 08:08 PM
looking fantastic.
David

sneekyparrot
05-12-16, 04:10 PM
Its been a while since i updated this thread:no:

but here goes. Things have moved far slower than i planned, had to make some harsh buisness decisions that sapped not only the funds but time :-(

Dash / Floor Plates all mounted up ready for powder coating:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/37BAEAC2-295B-4DEB-954C-AD3475B47A52.jpg

Fuel Pumps In:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/3F434283-A3F5-407B-AF1A-3F60702795E3.jpg

Rear Suspension Back on, i switched back to the stock arms with new poly bushes.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/D2F739B1-A3AF-4291-9888-5333C06C9937.jpg

Heat Shielding back in
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/7EEDB859-E911-4115-9AD2-79077925CF00.jpg

Time to tackle the wiring-I lost count how long this took to sort out

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/3170ADEC-1B89-4CA7-98D0-86AE202D31DA.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/268DED01-6E63-486B-B5DE-AA4461D9BCD1.jpg

Got some paint on floor plates / feet plates. Final fit of the dashboard and the Aim Dash
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/CC2E4A67-6F5A-4708-B719-DC9F12B2AFDA.jpg

This is where i started to get excited, at last things were starting to be powered up and tested. Yep it took a while to make the switch panels

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/1CBB68B5-AD15-49F5-8659-EA0052078777.jpg

We Have life. Dash all working along with everything else, only thing missing at the moment are the reverse lights which are not coming on when reverse selected. Prob something silly but well happy

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/1AA1F639-D661-4FA6-826C-FEAFBA50BB8F.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/4E0072FB-3F82-4392-BA47-BA81AA35C19F.jpg

Starting to fitting the mk2 bodywork

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/431D778F-66D1-4C6F-9B77-A54624C903B3.jpg

So thats where we are at the moment, still waiting for the rear brakes but not that fussed as its not going on the road this year but defo going to be ready for spring next year. If i can i may even get it mot'd and some miles on the motor before then.
I had planned to pay someone to build the engine loom but i've now decided to tackle it myself, i mean how hard can it be :trampoline:

waiting for the new connectors to arrive and i have already stripped the BAM loom of all thats not needed so with a bit of luck it may even get fired up during xmas providing i can also get the fuel filler neck routed to the outside.

cheers

P.

grimmy
05-12-16, 04:37 PM
Coming on nicely that .going to be one track monster when it's finished.

stamford
05-12-16, 05:38 PM
Paul the level of detail is stunning! I just wish I had a garage my zed would fit. I have to do my work on the driveway. Cannot wait to see and hear this. Superb!

Supercharged_Z
05-12-16, 06:38 PM
Jeez thats some job.

I want to buy it back

p_b82
06-12-16, 01:17 PM
Looking good there Paul - not long now until it is properly alive and you can do some shakedown running in :)

JOHNDQ
06-12-16, 05:02 PM
Do like that dash

sneekyparrot
06-12-16, 09:37 PM
Do like that dash

Yep that was one of my best finds. Full of goodies once I get my head round the software [emoji15][emoji15]

JOHNDQ
07-12-16, 06:48 AM
Yep that was one of my best finds. Full of goodies once I get my head round the software [emoji15][emoji15]

I bet ive been looking at the Race Technology Pro 2

sneekyparrot
14-04-17, 11:06 AM
Been a little while but thought i'd post a little update, now i have some time to myself this Bank Holiday.

A few little set backs but only to be expected. I had to strip down the dashboard again after discovering a couple of problems with the K6 and the AIM Dash, both had to be shipped off for updates / repairs.

Both arrived back after a couple of weeks with the added benefit of the K6 being upgraded to the new 6+ Spec.

Added A Nice Logo To AIM Startup
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/646EE892-5708-422E-99C7-A7A427210B8E.jpg

C&C Engineering Made Me Up Some Custom Mounts For The Wheel Speed Sensors
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/AE3B7108-B2EF-4E44-A311-D0257CE1CF28.jpg

Vented Fuel Filler Cap
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/DDAA4CEE-2090-47D2-BD6D-3EC1D77DE631.jpg

Reyland Rear Brakes Added
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/499E7620-810B-49F0-9A91-40D8695982A9.jpg

A Few Mods Were Needed To Use The Stock Handbrake Cables
Had To Use 2 x Offside Cables as N/Side is 15mm Longer
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/6259EA74-5043-4B93-B6B1-5583D73E0405.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/6D50387E-1C70-4098-9C9D-9677F290A95A.jpg

Would Of Been Easier To Use The Wilwood Cables TBH!

Rear Door Stripped Ready For Fuel Filler
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/7C35467B-0404-40B1-987D-C142AD0197CB.jpg

Vented Filler Cap Added
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/9F5460BD-BC74-4C98-ABE0-D567DE90630F.jpg

Fuel Cell Plumbed In
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee383/sneekyparrot/Reyland%20ZS/5E9828D3-445E-4CF4-A944-8FCB16D6E7E8.jpg

Brakes have all been bled and no leaks :trampoline:

On To Programming the Dash & ECU and we are ready to try and start the motor. I intend to ask emerald to connect up and check over my setup before a start is tried.

Front Doors and Bonnet Have Been Dropped With Lee Costello To Replicate In FBglass or Carbon if Budget Allows

Keep You Posted How It Goes.

Cheers
Paul

Supercharged_Z
14-04-17, 08:20 PM
OMG

You have owned this car for 5 years this year?

amazing job

peterzs
15-04-17, 10:58 AM
Amazing work.

:bow::bow::bow:

sneekyparrot
19-10-18, 01:19 PM
Well it’s been a while and I know the majority will have seen the progress on face ache but seems a shame not to bring the thread to an end without seeing the results.

So here goes.

I got all the kit fitted and the fibreglass bonnet but one of the doors was not right so it’s gone back to Lee to be altered, unfortunately lee’s Heath took a turn for the worse so the doors have not been fitted yet.

Shipped the bonnet and dc2 spoiler for painting but turns out mine is xpg+y so they came out the wrong shade.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/6bd4196eb993f31aaa7ddf62a43a6d87.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/581818cfedc167ac0c1891c2bada6135.jpg

Anyway the bonnet got fitted, I’d had enough of waiting :-)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/c51f2bba6a179fd07c5c9f12f4085953.jpg

sneekyparrot
19-10-18, 01:23 PM
You may notice the added air exit duct and the centre grill.
On startup there was a lot more heat than I expected and it almost melted the bonnet.

Grill was added to allow heat out and the manifold / downpipe were removed and shipped to Zircotec for ceramic coating .

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/ada9f21364d913f0b7ea2e32a3b100c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/3ae93ed44ddc0b9077e778984fe73137.jpg

I was never happy with the play in the turbo so I shipped it back to the people who made the original units for backdraft.
Universal turbos confirmed the cartridge was toast so a rebuild was ordered along with an upgrade to a bigger rs6 impeller [emoji23]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/f78df41b6840e052c70b445a07f14473.jpg

All back together with additional heat shielding from the manifold.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/91e763463e24bb71009f8de06ec3fbf6.jpg

Skillen
19-10-18, 03:24 PM
Oooooffff that last picture

sneekyparrot
19-10-18, 04:28 PM
Cold air intake from front bumper to underneath the air filter.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/b99589d3431490026a74698114e31be6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/55aa644fcef6dc3a8a70a5ac87be0e28.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/fadf6c7417544ca0c656f7a7b1d3acbc.jpg

Fitted a set of solid front compliance bushes curtsies of Jason

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/21b0fced1e3ff68e7391ab207e4f4326.jpg

I found a set of front doors , fitted them and fitted the Perspex windows / door cards.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/29c065aaf48e1a1d0c58665b4b583d3a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181019/ab88226bb5c60759e8aeccbc3d223f47.jpg

peterzs
19-10-18, 06:11 PM
Wow

such a lot of work gone into the car, with so much detail.

Well done.

Thanks for posting up. Always good to see the new stuff going in.

sneekyparrot
19-10-18, 07:56 PM
Wow

such a lot of work gone into the car, with so much detail.

Well done.

Thanks for posting up. Always good to see the new stuff going in.

Thx peter,
it gets better , I’ll add more ASAP [emoji16]

Dan1971
19-10-18, 10:59 PM
Looks like a great car. I'm assuming track only....?

ZS Phil
20-10-18, 07:23 AM
I absolutely love this thing, you will have to let us know when you're doing a track day and get a few of us out.

sneekyparrot
20-10-18, 07:56 AM
Looks like a great car. I'm assuming track only....?

Nope its now fully road legal, well just about :bounce:

p_b82
22-10-18, 02:34 PM
It's getting there - been keeping my eye on the updates on faceache :)

tcb 180
25-10-18, 08:57 AM
Remember going over to Castle Coombe years ago to see this car in action. Awesome fair play.