PDA

View Full Version : I need a kick up the arse...........

stamford
05-09-12, 12:00 PM
Seriously, I think I do. My zed has been off the road for what feels like months. I cannot remember the last time I drove it in anger or enjoyed it. It is sitting in the front garden looking very sorry for itself, battery is probably dead now, covered in crap as well.

Now I did do some work on it a fair few weeks back but I need to drop the gearbox again and put my old one back in, but you know what I cannot be bothered...............what can I do to pull me out of this? :sad:

Seems I am spending more time on the Discovery lately and getting it ready for the winter ahead. I know I've not been 100% well but I really need to get the ZS lurve back again, help! :console:

The longer it is left the more inclined I am to leave it be!

Insurance is due next month, probably the tax as well.............:sad:

WalkerDnB
05-09-12, 12:06 PM
Some one needs to give you a ride in there zs you'll soon want yours back on the road then :)

daytona365
05-09-12, 12:12 PM
You need a good dose of ZEDism. Get a ride out in one, look at some pics of your car when it was all 100%. You will get over it, we all love our Zeds too much to leave them to wither.

Enright
05-09-12, 12:22 PM
Give it a clean and stick a battery conditioner on it - that may spur you onto greater things.

andy-81
05-09-12, 01:27 PM
Bosh!!!!! There's a kick in the arse now get to it and fix that zed!!!! I wanna see that zed up and running you cant be a site owner and not have a working zed, that's a bad example to the rest of us!!!!!

I feel a little ashamed for the harsh comment but you said you needed it. :thumbsup:

zsserbia
05-09-12, 01:30 PM
Go on a track day in a disco! You'll find out soon enough where all the fun went...

petet16
05-09-12, 01:31 PM
Go on a track day in a disco! You'll find out soon enough where all the fun went...

this^:laugh:

caled
05-09-12, 02:48 PM
Fix it. Drive it. ZS love returns. 'nuff said.

grimmy
05-09-12, 03:01 PM
Get someone locals to come over and give you hand with it Mick the banter talking about the Zs will bring it back. I have felt the same about mines a few times but a wee local meet and a blether about the car gets me right back into it.
Hope you're feeling better by the way.

Sonic_160zr
05-09-12, 03:15 PM
Its a bit of a drive but id be up for lending a hand for an afternoon one sat or sunday to help out. Id be mostly moral support though not massively mechanicly minded but as long as there is someone to show me im ok with a spanner :D.

Cheers,
Matt

petet16
05-09-12, 03:24 PM
Get someone locals to come over and give you hand with it Mick the banter talking about the Zs will bring it back. I have felt the same about mines a few times but a wee local meet and a blether about the car gets me right back into it.
Hope you're feeling better by the way.

This may be what's needed.

welshone
05-09-12, 03:56 PM
You've got three options.

1. let it rot.

2. sell it for pennies

3. sort it out and have some fun :D

Only one of these makes sense :)

peterzs
05-09-12, 05:17 PM
I'll pop over and we can go for a spin in my ZS.

That will sort you out Mick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brick wall, silver car, hello officer.

Or have a mini meet and go up to the burger bar, top of Portsmouth.

Did a tunnel run in the tf, that was fun.

Not quite got the hang of the vid bit, with the camera yet. Bank holiday isnt the best time to be running with about 20 other f's and tf's, on the A27. Two tunnels, girly voice was cause I still had the sunglasses on and it went all black!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!

Just click on to play.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/th_MDG_1913.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/?action=view&current=MDG_1913.mp4)

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/th_MDG_1905.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/?action=view&current=MDG_1905.mp4)

Did a Southampton Uni open day with one of the grandsons and granddaughter, went into the Empress of Blandings on the way back. Do a fantastic lunch offer. £7.99 for 2 courses, we were going to have a pud, but we were all too stuffed. Have to have a meet there soon.

Always willing to hand the tools to you, but soooooooooooo much easier to get a garage to do it. Know its all about money, but its a pain now working on the cars, fun goes in direct relationship to your age!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MG 53 ZED
05-09-12, 05:38 PM
Mini meet as Pete said sounds gud. I'm happy to give you a hand with the ZS (i dunno if i would be any help tho lol)

grimmy
05-09-12, 06:36 PM
Mini meet as Pete said sounds gud. I'm happy to give you a hand with the ZS (i dunno if i would be any help tho lol)

Who said?

talkingcars
05-09-12, 06:46 PM
I know what you mean Mick, that is why my Maestro is still sitting at my dad's and not outside my house.

A mini meet (with spanners) is a good idea, I'm sure between us we could get a gearbox sorted - is there anything else needing doing?

How about a Sunday morning meet, gearbox swap and then a run up to Hindhead and back?

James

P.S. Pete - didn't know you did the South Coast run - I would have been there if I wasn't in the middle of the bay of Bisque :(

peterzs
05-09-12, 07:08 PM
Who said?

:p:p:p :-D:-D:-D

peterzs
05-09-12, 07:10 PM
P.S. Pete - didn't know you did the South Coast run - I would have been there if I wasn't in the middle of the bay of Bisque :(

Stonehenge and Avebury, this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D:-D:-D

Dan1971
05-09-12, 07:20 PM
Oh my God ....

Was at work today thinking how I'd have loved a few of you guys around when I did the work on my bumper. Just to have a chat and an extra pair of hands. I'm actually waiting on Sam getting back in touch about his bumper as a replacement for mine so we could do that too .....

We have a "Do stuff" meet. :-D

We nominate a car(s) that need some work and travel to it. Then on arrival, the host provides the coffee/tea/biscuits and together, we "do stuff".

I vote Stamford's ZS as the first "Do stuff" meet. Not handy with anything really, but I can follow orders and I'm free on Sunday .....

grimmy
05-09-12, 07:58 PM
Oh my God ....

Was at work today thinking how I'd have loved a few of you guys around when I did the work on my bumper. Just to have a chat and an extra pair of hands. I'm actually waiting on Sam getting back in touch about his bumper as a replacement for mine so we could do that too .....

We have a "Do stuff" meet. :-D

We nominate a car(s) that need some work and travel to it. Then on arrival, the host provides the coffee/tea/biscuits and together, we "do stuff".

I vote Stamford's ZS as the first "Do stuff" meet. Not handy with anything really, but I can follow orders and I'm free on Sunday .....
Love it Dan a do stuff meet great idea much better than meeting and hanging around car parks.

Sonic_160zr
05-09-12, 08:17 PM
Yea im in! sounds a really good idea.

Cheers,
Matt

stamford
05-09-12, 09:29 PM
You know what? This is what I love about this forum, everyone gets behind us all no matter what and offers great advice and help. :D

The missus said the weather's good this weekend, so looks like I'll be starting it and pulling my finger out!

Thanks for the friendly advice and offers for help etc, but I don't want to be dragging you away from your families. I can manage it, just don't enjoy it like I used to!

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Dan1971
06-09-12, 07:21 AM
Mrs and the kids are going to the Olympics on Sunday so I really don't mind pal ... Give me something to do. It's either that or I paint my wheels.

stamford
06-09-12, 07:23 AM
Fancy a drive down then? Paint them here ;) I'll get the missus to get some BBQ food.................... :fishing:

Nobrainer
06-09-12, 07:38 AM
Mrs and the kids are going to the Olympics on Sunday so I really don't mind pal ... Give me something to do. It's either that or I paint my wheels.

If they have a day ticket, find out when gb are playing and get in early. Atmosphere is amazing when they are on, not so great for the other teams though. Basketball was great.

Jay-ZS+
06-09-12, 07:49 AM
You know what? This is what I love about this forum, everyone gets behind us all no matter what and offers great advice and help. :D

The missus said the weather's good this weekend, so looks like I'll be starting it and pulling my finger out!

Thanks for the friendly advice and offers for help etc, but I don't want to be dragging you away from your families. I can manage it, just don't enjoy it like I used to!

Cheers. :thumbsup:

I have an old belt, not quite a kick up the arse but may help get you working :whip: :thumbsup:

Dan1971
06-09-12, 08:17 AM
Fancy a drive down then? Paint them here ;) I'll get the missus to get some BBQ food.................... :fishing:

Why the hell not - got some rattle can paint and some wire wool and while they are drying could get dirty with the gearbox ... ?

Dan1971
06-09-12, 08:18 AM
If they have a day ticket, find out when gb are playing and get in early. Atmosphere is amazing when they are on, not so great for the other teams though. Basketball was great.

Not a day ticket - final of the football I think and then they get kicked out for the closing ceremony ....

stamford
06-09-12, 09:16 AM
Why the hell not - got some rattle can paint and some wire wool and while they are drying could get dirty with the gearbox ... ?

Entirely up to you Dan. I'll check to make sure what day is best Sat or Sun. I think I was planning on Sat as swmbo may have plans for Sun. Will revert back in due course ;)

stamford
06-09-12, 09:21 AM
Okay, it'll be Sunday as Saturday is busy, so works for me :D

Dan1971
06-09-12, 09:26 AM
Done - see you Sunday then ....

Actually just got a refund on the insurance for the BMW, and sold some tickets for a show I can't go to, so may pick up some other wheels later this week, so it might just be sorting out your motor - We'll see...

All good though .... :soldiers:

stamford
06-09-12, 09:36 AM
Not to worry if you can't or decide not to, it'll save you fuel as a fair way to come down isn't it?

Dan1971
06-09-12, 10:17 AM
Not to worry if you can't or decide not to, it'll save you fuel as a fair way to come down isn't it?

Fancy a run and a day out anyway ..... If you can't be arsed - tough - I'm kicking it into action.

ZS
06-09-12, 10:25 AM
Dan, Appologies for not getting back to you! if your down anyway on Sunday then pop over to mine for a few mins and we can sort you out :) :smart: (Even if it is just the other fog light... lol)

Mick, If there is anything you need you just have to shout :) if its a hand I will see what I can do about child care, always better when there are two pairs of hands and much more enjoyable!

p_b82
06-09-12, 10:51 AM
Sounds like you have had the kck you needed - Good luck with now getting it sorted and getting the love back.....

mines' currently getting a few niggles sorted - and is due the dreaded MOT... (pretty sure that one of the niggles is a MOT fail as well :S)

stamford
06-09-12, 10:57 AM
I'm doing it! The days been put aside and the missus is fed up with me being miserable :laugh:

Saturday will be catch up on other jobs day, Sunday is zed day :thumbsup:

Sonic_160zr
06-09-12, 11:54 AM
Good to hear that your getting it sorted, or at least starting to get it sorted, should deffo have a fix it meet though. Im not about this weekend but most weekends are free for me, so would be willing to help out where I can.

Cheers,
Matt

daytona365
06-09-12, 07:18 PM
Love it Dan a do stuff meet great idea much better than meeting and hanging around car parks.
Thats sounds a bit dodgy.........Hanging around in carparks lol.

daytona365
06-09-12, 07:20 PM
I'm doing it! The days been put aside and the missus is fed up with me being miserable :laugh:

I may be free too, just depends on how much jungle juice i need. PM your postcode so I can work out my mileage...........

This group is better than a session with a shrink. One word of problems and you got friends coming out of the woodwork to help.

stamford
06-09-12, 08:14 PM
Pm'd ;)

waynester
08-09-12, 05:27 AM

Jó látni a szamár rúgás dolgozott! Good show! :D

Sonic_160zr
08-09-12, 04:41 PM
I am about tomorrow now if you want an extra pair of hands. Drop me a PM!

Cheers,
Matt

peterzs
08-09-12, 04:55 PM
I'm Stonehenging and the Avebury Rings, tomorrow, unfortunately or I could lift it up while you pulled the gearbox out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it all goes well.

stamford
08-09-12, 05:49 PM
Right, after spending time tidying up the garage I charged the zeds battery, as it was flat as guessed! Moved it to the garage and started on it! I was only going to get it up in the air, get the wheels off...............erm ended up doing a little bit more than intended, I was on a roll! Stopped for the evening now. Roll on tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a productive day and we can get the jobs done on Dans zed as well!

Looks like Dan and Daytona are coming, wife is doing a BBQ later in the day ;)

Looks like a mini-meet afterall! :D

grimmy
08-09-12, 05:56 PM
Right, after spending time tidying up the garage I charged the zeds battery, as it was flat as guessed! Moved it to the garage and started on it! I was only going to get it up in the air, get the wheels off...............erm ended up doing a little bit more than intended, I was on a roll! Stopped for the evening now. Roll on tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a productive day and we can get the jobs done on Dans zed as well!

Looks like Dan and Daytona are coming, wife is doing a BBQ later in the day ;)

Looks like a mini-meet afterall! :D

Good stuff mick,the old girl will be up and running soon.

So will the car.

Dan1971
08-09-12, 06:05 PM
:ohmy: ...... Don't do too much - this was gonna be a learning curve for me with you telling me what stuff actually does ..... !!!

Do not start tomorrow until I get there - saying that - we'll have enough to do with mine .... ;)

Good stuff mate ....

Sonic_160zr
08-09-12, 06:25 PM
As per PM, Ill be there too! you can laugh at my rattly manifold! haha

Cheers,
Matt

stamford
08-09-12, 07:05 PM
I'll hang on in the morning, got to leave something for you guys to do! ;)

Got to give it a good clean after, even the missus said it looked bad!

Took the bumper off, loads of snails in there and snail poo! Took the BMC off, was rattling which was odd as I cleaned that when I did the box swap, another snail inside it with loads of poo!

I was hoping to modify the clutch arm to make it adjustable, won't be able to this time due to lack of time and wanting to get it back on the road!

daytona365
08-09-12, 07:48 PM
We will soon get the old girl back on the road. I will bring my bucket and we can even wash it as well........................ Looking forward to taking mine through the tunnel!!! Havent been down the A3 for years.............................

stamford
08-09-12, 08:47 PM
Enjoy the tunnel, when coming to it drop to 50mph before entering then drop a few cogs then you can fly through it at a reasonable pace without affecting your average speed as they have cameras checking your speed through the tunnel. I never hit 5th, keep it rumbling ;)

daytona365
08-09-12, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the speed camera advice. Is anyone coming handy with a soldering iron and electrics? I need to wire up my VIS lights.............

stamford
08-09-12, 09:13 PM
No idea, I have an iron and solder but will be a bit busy for a while! Is it one of James's kits? Should be easy enough I would have thought. I made my own PCB when I did mine some years ago.

daytona365
08-09-12, 09:16 PM
Yep its one of James kits. Im always nervous with electrics. Will see, got a gearbox to fix first..............Im off to get some rest, early start. See you tomorrow...:wave:

stamford
08-09-12, 09:29 PM
Righto! Bummer no MOTD tonight! Just when you start getting into it again.

Sonic_160zr
08-09-12, 10:00 PM
Ill chuck my soldering stuff in the car. might be able to give you a hand :D

Cheers,
Matt

ZS
09-09-12, 07:44 AM
Its a shame I can't find any childcare.. your going to be about 30 second drive from me! Of course of I can help with any parts left over then shout :)

stamford
09-09-12, 07:48 AM
Is Dan coming to you on the way down? Any luck with those slave cylinder pushrods Sam?

ZS
09-09-12, 10:15 AM
Is Dan coming to you on the way down? Any luck with those slave cylinder pushrods Sam?

No idea what time Dan is getting here :)

I have found one pushrod.. I can't remember if it is an OE or Sheddist one though (I had two sizes of Sheddist one...) I have not found the box with all the old sheddist parts yet... if I do find it then I will let you know :)

I'll send this push rod over with Dan if he comes here first, your welcome to do what is necessary with it.

stamford
09-09-12, 06:08 PM
A big thanks to Dan, Gordon and Matt for today's 'mini to do meet' at my place. With their help and moral support I have my ZS mojo back! :thumbsup:

My old gearbox is now back in and all is good in the zed world, alas no Torsen B, but I'll have to strip and re-build the other one to see what is wrong. We all got stuck in and washed the poor thing too as was looking rough.

Dan got on and fitted a replacement bumper and Laguna splitter on his red zed with Gordons help. Looks really good now.

Matt needed a replacement plenum as his was rattling, so happened I had a good spare and ended up fitting that at the end of the day, so another good job done. Ran out of time to do Gordons vis indicators, hopefully we can do this another time?

A big thanks to you all and just shows what a great forum community we have here. :clap:

I'll be taking the car to work this week so will report how I get on with the lightened flywheel mod.

grimmy
09-09-12, 06:15 PM
Good news. well done lads,told you a wee meet and blether about things Zs related would sort you out.

peterzs
09-09-12, 06:20 PM
Good to hear you have your Mojo back.

Hats off to all that gave a hand, and us lot that would have loved to have been there, (even it was the smell of the burgers and bangers on the BBQ) but couldnt make it.

:bow::bow::bow: :):)

stamford
09-09-12, 06:51 PM
Dan using a pink wash mitt was a sight to behold ;)

Think we may have evidence of Dan doing mechanical stuff! They all got stuck in, was great stuff!

BBQ ended up being a kitchen affair as the weather turned windy and started to rain a little, so a BBQ in the garage was the order of the day! :D

Will definately organise another like this to do work on peoples zeds, makes for an intersting meet and very productive! :thumbsup:

Sonic_160zr
09-09-12, 06:51 PM
Back home all safe and sound and car is soo much quieter without the rattly plenum. which is awesome! especially as I wasnt expecting to get it fixed today! Was a really good day and good to put some faces to the names and have a laugh whilst fixing the cars. Much better than a normal car park meet! actually learned a few things today as well so a really good day out in my books!

A big thanks for the food and the drinks. Cant wait for the next one! :D

Cheers,
Matt

Jay-ZS+
09-09-12, 06:55 PM
I'll be taking the car to work this week so will report how I get on with the lightened flywheel mod.

I'll tell you now...the flywheel will put a smile on your face :D

Sounds like it was a productive day, just goes to show what a great group on guys are on here :thumbsup:

stamford
09-09-12, 06:56 PM
Oh and Matt, love your zed mate, even my daughters loved it! You got a cracker there. Glad the plenum was okay, cheers mate ;)

Sonic_160zr
09-09-12, 07:07 PM
I'll tell you now...the flywheel will put a smile on your face :D

Sounds like it was a productive day, just goes to show what a great group on guys are on here :thumbsup:

Just after being in yours Its on my list of mods to do. And although ive only been on here a short while ive quicky realized how good the group is and how much people are willing to go out of the way to help each other.

Oh and Matt, love your zed mate, even my daughters loved it! You got a cracker there. Glad the plenum was okay, cheers mate ;)

Thanks Mick, glad you all liked it, the sun did its bit to help as well. :D

Cheers,
Matt

Dan1971
09-09-12, 07:52 PM
Feckin traffic .... Just got back in .... Never mind - well worth it. Top day out.

Mick - how your mojo could have gone with such an amazin' sounding car is incredible - awesome - glad it's got you back - ;)

Gordon - thanks for the help with the run round to Sam's and getting the bits fitted - really chuffed mate - thank you - :bow:

Matt - Glad you got your plenum sorted - sounds and goes as good as it looks now I bet.

Sam - thanks for the bumper, fog and brace. Colour match is good, spots are working great. I'll get the brace fitted as and when.

And finally - Kathy - that you for your hospitality and the grub was spot on .... :bow:

All- this was a top day and recommended - Here's to the first "Do stuff" meet....:beer2:

daytona365
09-09-12, 07:56 PM
A really good day, so much done........Big grin back on Stamfords face, so arse truly kicked. We even washed it afterwards too. New plenum in Sonics, and new bumper and splitter on Dans...........Didnt have time to do anything to mine..

stamford
09-09-12, 08:10 PM
Gordon, we'll need to do another to get your car done!

Kathy said thanks, she was pleased it went well.

I think this weeks fuel usage will be a little higher than usual :laugh:

Matt, Chloe wants your zed, can she have it? ;)

daytona365
09-09-12, 08:15 PM
Feckin traffic .... Just got back in .... Never mind - well worth it. Top day out.

Mick - how your mojo could have gone with such an amazin' sounding car is incredible - awesome - glad it's got you back - ;)

Gordon - thanks for the help with the run round to Sam's and getting the bits fitted - really chuffed mate - thank you - :bow:

Matt - Glad you got your plenum sorted - sounds and goes as good as it looks now I bet.

Sam - thanks for the bumper, fog and brace. Colour match is good, spots are working great. I'll get the brace fitted as and when.

And finally - Kathy - that you for your hospitality and the grub was spot on .... :bow:

All- this was a top day and recommended - Here's to the first "Do stuff" meet....:beer2:

No worries, glad to help. Dont forget once you've soldered your resister give a nudge, I'll show you how to put it in. PS, The traffic was horrendous!!!

stamford
09-09-12, 08:28 PM
I have a cardboard box here with rags, gloves and hand cleaner...........anyones?

daytona365
09-09-12, 08:31 PM
I have a cardboard box here with rags, gloves and hand cleaner...........anyones?

THATS mine lol........Wondered where they got to.....

Keep em safe for me, next time we have a get together I can collect them.

welshone
09-09-12, 08:39 PM
Great show from everyone involved and here's to more meets like this one :clap:

stamford
09-09-12, 08:42 PM
THATS mine lol........Wondered where they got to.....

Keep em safe for me, next time we have a get together I can collect them.

Will do mate.

Sonic_160zr
09-09-12, 08:48 PM
Gordon, we'll need to do another to get your car done!

Kathy said thanks, she was pleased it went well.

I think this weeks fuel usage will be a little higher than usual :laugh:

Matt, Chloe wants your zed, can she have it? ;)

Haha, not selling it anytime soon im afraid! she can have first refusal though! :D

Here is a couple of pics I took yesterday, reminds me of a fruit salad haha..

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/100_3726.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/100_3713.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/100_3717.jpg

No worries, glad to help. Dont forget once you've soldered your resister give a nudge, I'll show you how to put it in. PS, The traffic was horrendous!!!

Felt really bad that we didnt get to sort your indicator kit out. Traffic was actually quite good for me but the traffic going the other way looked pretty bad, loads of queues on the M27 and lots of traffic going south on the a36. Ive got less than half a tank left now. dont know how that could have happened :D

Cheers,
Matt

ZS
10-09-12, 07:08 AM
Gordon, you didn't take the cover you asked for :) :oops:

I've just realised I need to fit my Vis kit at some point, but where the instructions say to pass it through the bulkhead is part of my alarm, so it doesn't fit :) - Maybe you should pop over at some point and get both VIS indicators fitted at the same time :D

stamford
10-09-12, 07:30 AM
Drove car into work this morning, tight gear changes, appears the slave pushrod needs to be a little longer so as to fully disengage. My foot is hard down against the bulkhead. Sam, if you do have any of the old sheddist slaves that'll be handy as when I fitted my kit that time I had to shorten the rod by about 6mm, now with the new clutch it needs it back again!

Sodding power VIS not actuating now! VIS indicator backs up the lack of grunt! Still, nice to put my foot down and it not to slip now :D

Now on take-off it spins too easily.............. :whistle:

Dan1971
10-09-12, 04:26 PM
Drove car into work this morning, tight gear changes, appears the slave pushrod needs to be a little longer so as to fully disengage. My foot is hard down against the bulkhead. Sam, if you do have any of the old sheddist slaves that'll be handy as when I fitted my kit that time I had to shorten the rod by about 6mm, now with the new clutch it needs it back again!

Sodding power VIS not actuating now! VIS indicator backs up the lack of grunt! Still, nice to put my foot down and it not to slip now :D

Now on take-off it spins too easily.............. :whistle:

Glad your happy mate - bit of fettling and it'll be all sorted.

p_b82
10-09-12, 04:41 PM
glad to read that everything has gone well with all projects - pity it needs a lst bit of fettling - but like all things on a car there is always something to throw a spanner in the works to stop it being 'perfect'

daytona365
10-09-12, 06:23 PM
Gordon, you didn't take the cover you asked for :) :oops:

I've just realised I need to fit my Vis kit at some point, but where the instructions say to pass it through the bulkhead is part of my alarm, so it doesn't fit :) - Maybe you should pop over at some point and get both VIS indicators fitted at the same time :D

Sounds like an idea...........could get Stamford to change my plugs for me lol..

Dan1971
10-09-12, 08:34 PM
Sounds like an idea...........could get Stamford to change my plugs for me lol..

I bet his back's fecked today after doing the plenum.....

stamford
10-09-12, 09:09 PM
I bet his back's fecked today after doing the plenum.....

Wasn't ideal but it's not too bad actually, the rest of me aches though!

Would anyone else be interested in another 'do stuff' meet at my place?

Got space, tools and the okay from 'the boss' :laugh:

daytona365
10-09-12, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a new Style of meet............"FIX IT AT MICKS"

Food was awesome too...............

Mind you, drive down and back no probs, go to put my car away in garage and my EML light comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M17TT180
10-09-12, 09:45 PM
You could fix my seat mount :kissing2:

welshone
10-09-12, 09:50 PM
I'm up for the next one. If only to learn how to do something new. :)

Dan1971
11-09-12, 06:41 AM
It's a good call Mick and to be fair - you do have the space and knowledge. My wheels are gonna put me out of the equation in terms of doing more to mine, but I'm in for another gathering. Induction etc will be following lowering springs in the new year.

Really enjoyed getting involved and my hands dirty - or rather - your gloves ... ;)

stamford
11-09-12, 07:17 AM
Well this little meet went so well and was so productive it seemed to be a good idea. More fun when there's a few of you.

peterzs
11-09-12, 07:55 AM
Many hands make light work, comes to mind, better than trying to line the gearbox up laying on your back and pushing it up with your knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZS
11-09-12, 10:26 AM
Induction etc will be following lowering springs in the new year.

Dan... I have a possibility of some lowering springs (currently in my garage) I am going to test tif them to the suspension on the salvage ZS at some point and if they fit... well I was going to sell them as a whole :) (Spring rates etc are all correct for this car, should give a 40mm drop apparently)

Mind you, drive down and back no probs, go to put my car away in garage and my EML light comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can bring my EML eliminating tools along as well if wanted (Bluetooth and phone or Full ELM interface)

daytona365
11-09-12, 04:22 PM
Wow all these offers. Im tied up for the next few weekends, otherwise would take you and mick up on offer. Going see rally this wkd, then the mgr london meet wkd after. So getting my local mgr garage to have a look at light. Maybe next month, if i avoid scouse coaches!

M17TT180
11-09-12, 04:29 PM
I'm up for this, wanna get out and meet some fellow zs'ers!

talkingcars
11-09-12, 05:52 PM
..........So getting my local mgr garage to have a look at light.........

I thought you worked for a garage, any OBD2 scanner will read the code and clear the light.

Dan1971
11-09-12, 07:25 PM
Dan... I have a possibility of some lowering springs (currently in my garage) I am going to test tif them to the suspension on the salvage ZS at some point and if they fit... well I was going to sell them as a whole :) (Spring rates etc are all correct for this car, should give a 40mm drop apparently....

Great call - but like I said - I'm skint. If they work OK, Ill def take them. My new wheels are fitted with 205 40s so they're gonna look small in there until it's lowered.

daytona365
11-09-12, 09:52 PM
I thought you worked for a garage, any OBD2 scanner will read the code and clear the light.

:ohmy: Wouldnt let my our mechanics anywhere near my car........... They cant even fix Fords, and thats what they trained for. I will stick with mates, who are all ex MGR boyz..........

ps. Anything through our workshop, has to be put through the books, so I would have to pay the going rate for diagnostics £85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talkingcars
11-09-12, 10:20 PM
:ohmy: Wouldnt let my our mechanics anywhere near my car........... They cant even fix Fords, and thats what they trained for. I will stick with mates, who are all ex MGR boyz..........

ps. Anything through our workshop, has to be put through the books, so I would have to pay the going rate for diagnostics £85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How times change - when I was a driver for our local VAG dealer the mechanics would lend me their tools and I could use the workshop at weekends when the sales dept was open.

daytona365
11-09-12, 10:47 PM
How times change - when I was a driver for our local VAG dealer the mechanics would lend me their tools and I could use the workshop at weekends when the sales dept was open.

Too true. In my old garage, I worked with a gr8 set of lads. On my saturday in, I could ask them to leave their toolboxes open, then ask the owner if I could use the ramps. Would get my car in the workshop, lift it up on 4poster, adn do any work I needed to do, in pefect conditions, with all the tools required.
Then once everything was done, toolboxes shut, workshop all locked up, I would then ask the owner if I could use the valletting bay,a dn I wash and clean my car.

As long as I asked him, the answer was always "yes"....No one does anyone favours now. It all has to be done "through the books" for Health and Safety.........................Just to screw staff for money I say. I mean, to get MOT done at my garage, I pay the full public rate of £58! I have to pay now to get tyres fitted! Think I will wait now until I go and see Stamford and the "fix it meet".......

stamford
12-09-12, 07:06 AM
Those days are long gone, I used to be able to do things similar, use facilities etc, not now. £58 for an MOT! WTF! I have never paid more than £35, I must be lucky then!

Plus I hate garages, I can count on one hand the number I would trust with any of my cars. Been on the wrong end of too many bad jobs and that includes main dealers. It only takes one bad job and all hell breaks loose.

Dan1971
12-09-12, 08:02 AM
Paid £35 for my last couple and all booked on line with F1. Decent enough guys. Would get them to do any work, but an MOT is just checking stuff. even still, the last one i had done elsewhere was £25 booked in advance, but when I went to pay - they went - "yeah mate your headlamp needed adjustment - so we just did it for you for an extra tenner ! " ..... Really ....

And ... who needs garages anyway when we've got a "stamford" to direct and check, and sets of willing hands to get things sorted - for some similar effort for others in return....

M17TT180
12-09-12, 08:15 AM
I can bring the sandwiches and my learning cap.

stamford
12-09-12, 09:06 AM
Yes, direct and learn sessions for those that wish to have a go but want a little helping hand when out of the comfort zone, best way to learn.

daytona365
12-09-12, 09:24 AM
Get my mot done by local garage, been going for years. Cant see why work charges the full rate. Must lose so may customers. This new stamfords all hands garage is one of the big plus points of this site. Im up for another session

DuckFeet
12-09-12, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry I missed this, I would have liked a demo on how to swap a gearbox. If the boss and the little-boss-in-training (3 weeks old!) let me free I can contribute gas soldering iron and soldering skills, EML clearing, puny arms to laugh at, a breaker bar longer than an mx-5 and a v dirty car to practice cleaning on. Any welders in on this thing?

Glad to see you got the kick up the arse you required, how much do you miss the torsen now you have the lightened fly?

Re the women-folk, how big is your kitchen and what are the chances of having a similar knitting*-club or something going on inside? would make a day trip out for those that might nto let us out to play.

*Or whatever women like to do these days. I jest, I'm not really a 1950's throwback but I don't like abaondon the missus and the babycare duties.

stamford
12-09-12, 01:05 PM
Probably not a good idea for in-house gatherings as my three Dalmatians would not agree with too many strangers! Not the sort of dog you can ignore or stick in a room and hope to be quiet!

peterzs
12-09-12, 01:10 PM
Maybe worth dropping wives off at Gunwharf Quay and picking up later.

Long as you dont leave the credit cards with them!!!

stamford
12-09-12, 01:14 PM
Maybe worth dropping wives off at Gunwharf Quay and picking up later.

Long as you dont leave the credit cards with them!!!

:laugh: yea like that'll work! From experience they are not that daft!

Jay-ZS+
12-09-12, 02:25 PM
Pity I work sundays always up for a hands on working lunch!

stamford
15-09-12, 07:19 PM
Update, spent some time on the zed today and it is all sorted and ready to unleash the beast on the roads! Took the clutch slave pushrod off today and had a threaded sleeve made up and after measuring the one I took off I wound the new one on and added 6mm to the travel and the bite is where I want it. I'll get this drawn up when back at work and post a picture up for all to use if you want an adjustable clutch.

Had to repair my power vis as that was playing up and now the lights are doing what they should, so back to full power and torque steer!

Also bought a flyeyes kit for the Discovery and fitted them today, will post up tomorrow on this, will look at maybe doing the zed.

So all's good! :D

peterzs
15-09-12, 07:32 PM
Glad the kick worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great that the Beast is back to full power.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

grimmy
15-09-12, 07:35 PM
Good to here the beast is back to her best and how cool is fly eyes.

stamford
16-09-12, 07:57 PM
Did some more today and fitted another set of door cards, early ones with the top matching trim, thanks Sam :thumbsup: Looking good.

Also fitted my new stereo, went for something different and bought this, iphone docking type.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/car-entertainment-systems/carstudio-dock-for-ipod-iphone-cmd310_05/prd/

First impressions are very good, neat unit and decent sound too.

Fly eyes are good, was looking at doing the rear light clusters and front indicators, should have enough left over to do them.

big_wasa
16-09-12, 08:12 PM
The only time my car see's a garrage is for Mot and tyres. And I hate that.

I do all my own stuff but I need a kick up the arse. 21 hours overtime this week so ive been a proper couch potato today but I did fit my decat on monday night.

Jobs to do and I have the bits.

Fit Viz Kit
Fit new rear seat base cover
Full service and belts

Get the lotus 7 through Iva.

crap there is another job I will have to visit a garage for and thats an air con regas.

Jobs my mates have got lined up for me

Skyline rear track rod ends. (What a crap design any one done them before ?)

Corsa O2 sensor.

Zs180 brake shudder, maybe tyres he is a tight b####d :laugh:

talkingcars
16-09-12, 08:15 PM
The earlier door cards are so much nicer.

I was impressed when we conected my daughters iPod to my kenwood - personally I wouldn't be without the bluetooth facility.

daytona365
16-09-12, 10:30 PM
Gr8 to see the ZS back to his prime. Well worth the ass kicking. Its such a nice car, it has to be loved. And plenty of us here to help love it. The run through the tunnel was worth the trip down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stamford
17-09-12, 07:22 AM
It still has a few little jobs to be done on it due to its age and useage as it is a well used zed and not a garage laden one. Sits out in all weathers etc. It's getting to the point where I need to start replacing the bushes etc for polys and tighten up a few other items to extend its life.