PDA

View Full Version : What type spare wheel should the zs have?

kev mocko
10-09-12, 07:16 AM
Hi folks, im a little confused really, i got a puncture on the zs so i put the spare on being a 15" space saver is this right for the 180? it looks original but im unsure as my last one just had a compressor with it too,the reason im confused is when ive gone to put it on the front it got stuck on the caliper and you couldnt turn the wheel so ended up having to swap it onto the back so it would get me home,surely that cant be right?:question:

Lukeus101
10-09-12, 07:18 AM
Its right mate. Often enough MG Rover made a space saver an option, My other half had a 160 ZR and that had a space saver and that didnt fit over the front calipers so you had to change the back to the front and the space saver to the rear.

petet16
10-09-12, 08:34 AM
You're not supposed to use the space saver on the front, the theory goes that if you have a punctured front tyre you use one of the rear wheels and fit the space saver to the rear, pita.

stamford
10-09-12, 08:37 AM
As far as I can recall the can of tyre inflator was standard, the 15" spacesaver was a cost option. As said if suffering a front puncture you have to swap the back to the front and fit the spacesaver to the rear, it says so in the owners manual.

petet16
10-09-12, 08:40 AM
Mine came with the can of tyre inflater, so I got 2 15" Rover steel wheels to use as spares, a 15" steelie just fits over the front calipers.

kev mocko
10-09-12, 08:50 AM
Ah right thats why then,a bit crazy but theres the method in the madness,ive never read through the manual properly,cheers for that guys,:-)

pete mufc bowker
10-09-12, 09:49 AM
Ah right thats why then,a bit crazy but theres the method in the madness,ive never read through the manual properly,cheers for that guys,:-)

i baught a spare alloy with a mint tyre for 40 notes, where abouts in manchester do u live???

kev mocko
10-09-12, 12:07 PM
I live near birch services m62 hopwood mate

pete mufc bowker
10-09-12, 03:04 PM
I live near birch services m62 hopwood mate

im in salford m8, not to far haha

Maxxed_Ross
10-09-12, 05:40 PM
Mine came with the can of tyre inflater

yup mine too :sick:

i baught a spare alloy with a mint tyre for 40 notes, where abouts in manchester do u live???

I didn't think an alloy fit in the spare wheel well?

talkingcars
10-09-12, 05:45 PM
I think the early ZS came with a steel space saver.

There is loads of space around my spacesaver, I'd be suprised if a full size wheel didn't fit.

Maxxed_Ross
10-09-12, 05:46 PM
well the 17" alloys fitted to the ZR don't fit in their boot - so strange things do happen

talkingcars
10-09-12, 05:50 PM
well the 17" alloys fitted to the ZR don't fit in their boot - so strange things do happen

In the boot of the ZS or the ZR?

The mk1 180 and mk1 ZR160 use the same wheel and same brakes.

daytona365
10-09-12, 06:20 PM
The straights wont fit in the well, Ive got a spare wheel, and I tried. So I got the skinny spare in the car, for emergancies, and if Im going anywhere, say up north to my daughter, then I put the spare straight in on a bit of cardboard. That way, no worries about trying to swap punctured front wheel over with back wheel!!!!!!!!!
Did think of putting it on top of boot, like the Rover P6.....lol

talkingcars
10-09-12, 09:02 PM
I'm sure the standard mk1 straight sat in the well when I had a puncture on the way back from Spain the other year, the boot was stuffed full and everything went back in. Maybe it fitted as the tyre was flat.

pete mufc bowker
11-09-12, 09:47 AM
yup mine too :sick:

I didn't think an alloy fit in the spare wheel well?

it dosnt fit to well, but im not botherd really

andy-81
12-09-12, 09:15 PM
i have a 16" spare wheel with a 205/55/16 tyre on it although it fits in the well it stands to high so the carpet bows, the only way round it is to build a false floor to raise it so that its flat