PDA

View Full Version : 'Do stuff' meets

stamford
14-09-12, 08:07 AM
After the last meet at my place and how well this went I have given this some more thought and want to canvas opinions on whether this is something we could do more often?

Also on the back of this if I was looking to hold a stock of typical spares if this were to help?

Might pay for members to post what sort of work they think would benefit so I can gauge the level of work wanted, extra tools required and parts to consider?

This would also double as a learning workshop for those wishing they could do jobs on their zeds but not sure where to start.

Please bear in-mind this is not a business as I do have a day job and a life! So this will be strictly weekends only as and when it suits.

Discuss and let's see if there is any mileage in this.

peterzs
14-09-12, 08:16 AM
Great way to learn about the bits you want to change, sticky rear brake sliders for example. Knowing what bolts to undo and in what sequence.

Could save £££££££££££££'s by DIY, instead of taking it into a garage.

Phate
14-09-12, 08:25 AM
I'd come down to these for the banter :)

talkingcars
14-09-12, 08:27 AM
I would love to be involved - would have considered last weekend if I hadn't already been commited.

Apart from a possible gearbox change one day, fitting LPG, changing my mk1 air con to mk2 climate control and finishing my cruise control all I currently need to do is find and fix my oil leak, change a caliper and fix some door handles.

I can help with brakes and door handles and some electrical stuff having done them myself.

I would offer to host one but as we only have a driveway big enough for a metro and double yellow lines it isn't really suitable.

stamford
14-09-12, 08:43 AM
I can manage two cars up the drive, one infront of the garage and one by the side so space not an issue. Parking is okay as not a busy road.

p_b82
14-09-12, 09:37 AM
It is the sort of thing that I would love to do but not all too sure on time requirements and whether i would be able to do it.

Ideally i want to be in a position to do most the work on the car myself when the major alterations are finally completed - but to date the only thing i have done is spot a leaking CV boot and change the fronts calipers\carriers and disks\pads.

Life gets in the way and it is just 'easier' to get matt to look at the niggles as and when they arise - as and when the car is due serviceing etc (usually something breaks and it gets shipped off and i tie the routine work into the fixing of issue).

If i were to tun up to a meet, i could bring a decent trolley jack and axle stands that dont see enough use (yet ) :laugh:

only large thing that might be on the cards is a 'brembodge' upgrade and a possible upgrade to the master cylinder as a result of the extra braking requirement - if i get the set from the reyland ZS

KirkJames
14-09-12, 10:10 AM
I think it's a very good idea, it would be mega far for me but to get to know a few things i would probably try and make a weekend of it!

petet16
14-09-12, 10:18 AM
I think it is a top idea, both for jobs where more than one pair of hands is useful, and also for people who want to learn how to do jobs, things like sticky calipers, vis motors, clutch hydraulics, and also for the social side of meeting people and putting faces to names.

A further suggestion would be that people attending could bring contributions for the barbie maybe.

Nobrainer
14-09-12, 10:18 AM
Sounds good. Definately be up for this when I can get the time. Oil cooler needs looking at, bits of trim inside, graphics on outside, basic service, handbrake and other stuff I can't think of right now

Jay-ZS+
14-09-12, 10:30 AM
I think its a great idea, I know from past experience often I could have done a job myself but nice to have the moral support or expertise of someone who has done it before. Its abit far for me to travel being a skint student and all but a good idea.

Id imagine standard things like;
Brake Disc/pads,
Oil and filter changes.
VIS issues
Fitting induction kits
catch tank plumbing. (know this seems to confuse people as to which pipes to use)

Might want to avoid suspension and exhaust jobs always seem to be a mare on zs' plus wont do your back any favours!

Could always use it to do some detailed "How to's" help those that cant get to yours.

M17TT180
14-09-12, 11:16 AM
All i need is my seat mount welding back on but I would like to watch and learn a whole host of things.

theboynoz
14-09-12, 11:48 AM
Would be a good idea for me, need to learn how to do the rear brakes properly - Can do most other 'stuff' myself these days expect fitting clutches, i get a pro to do that. Suspension is something i have tackled, but not 100% confident with, i would say 80% confident.... But that is neither here or there as you are approx. 3 1/2 hours from me lol....

Could turn up to a central meet one day though if anyone has one ;)

andys1981
14-09-12, 11:55 AM
i just cant wait until we start on smokeys track car,should be a good laugh/turnout

peterzs
14-09-12, 12:24 PM
Got as far as taking my wheels off to check the pads.

Fronts looked OK but the rears were low.

Read up how to, put a spanner on it and it was solid, with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

Charged just under £50 to fit my supplied pads.

Still got my front pads to fit!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MG 53 ZED
14-09-12, 12:54 PM
I would love to be apart of this for the banter and to learn how to do some jobs on the car plus to help other members if i can.

daytona365
14-09-12, 01:37 PM
Im up for more meets. Even if not to fix mine. Good meet and gr8 food. Plus chance to get hands dirty. Dont have much to do to mine lol

Dan1971
14-09-12, 03:23 PM
To be fair, I reckon we could muck in for most things, but I think the car owner should bring what ever they want to get done. I'll be up for getting an induction set up and lowering springs next and would be more than happy to come down with the actual kit in the boot, and let everyone loose on my shed using your tools to get it all done. I doubt there is anything on the car that with our collective knowledge, tools, a Haynes manual and the internet just incase - that we couldn't all muck in and change.

In terms of stocking kit Mick - not sure - maybe nuts, bolts, washers and cable ties but not anything like oil, spark plugs etc unless you wanted to turn it into a bit of a business thing, or make it a site profit making opportunity.

I'd be up for coming down again for sure.....

Smokey
14-09-12, 05:09 PM
with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

Gee, thanks for bringing that up lol!!

In fact, I should do "How Not To's"!

With regards to meets, great idea, Our Scottish one for doing the engine swap will be pretty epic!

Fred68
14-09-12, 05:10 PM

Read up how to, put a spanner on it and it was solid, with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

With garages charging that much I'm glad I do everything myself !!

grimmy
14-09-12, 06:05 PM
We have been doing these meets for ages and they are excellen.t me helping Blair with the track car and kev and Marcus changing my thermostat when my back was gubbed are great examples of how this idea works.need to get one going up here as well.

Smokey
14-09-12, 06:08 PM
I'll soon have seats to swap over lol!

theboynoz
14-09-12, 06:38 PM

Mine is off to the garage to get tge rear pads and discs done for the same reason.... 50 to do the job too!

Captain Peanut
14-09-12, 11:58 PM
I think it's a great idea. Would love to learn how to do the slightly more involved jobs (timing belt, head gasket, clutch replacement) and get to put names to faces.

Have managed most jobs so far (brakes, cv joints etc) so happy to hel others with what I can too.

waynester
15-09-12, 03:50 AM
Yep, great idea! Be nice to meet people & look at cars. Getting a second opinion on any issues & perhaps fixes would be very useful..:)

Ritchy
15-09-12, 11:51 AM
sounds good but its always worthwhile having at least 1 person there that really knows what they are doing to instruct ect, also can end up with a too many cooks scenario, when helping stu in the past fling engines in and out,(think 3 there now) had issues with people putting bits on wrong, or putting things on loose, not telling people the bits are loose, then when it comes to starting theres an issue and your having to look back through it all again.
usually a good weekend though, would advise a box of nitrile gloves as can save a sink 10 people washing oily hands in there afterwards

peterzs
15-09-12, 01:12 PM
Some good points Ritchy, like the gloves tip!!

Nobrainer
15-09-12, 05:59 PM
It might be nice to have a 'subject' to entice people. Easier to do the same job a couple of times if they are more major and just fit little bits around that. What about Sunday 23rd at Sams (ZS). We can strip his car as well. I'll make a suggestion of basic/ more advanced servicing as a theme but open to other suggestions.

peterzs
15-09-12, 06:10 PM
Typical, off to Halfway House meet Brentwood 23/9/12.

ZS
15-09-12, 06:34 PM
It might be nice to have a 'subject' to entice people. Easier to do the same job a couple of times if they are more major and just fit little bits around that. What about Sunday 23rd at Sams (ZS). We can strip his car as well. I'll make a suggestion of basic/ more advanced servicing as a theme but open to other suggestions.

Thats a great Idea, except for one thing... I'll be driving back from Stoke-On-Trent on the 23rd! :whistle:

peterzs
15-09-12, 06:49 PM
Whens best for you then Sam??

ZS
15-09-12, 06:54 PM
Whens best for you then Sam??

Tomorrow? lol or the weekend of the 29th\30th? :)

peterzs
15-09-12, 07:01 PM
got permission for both dates, so could do tomorrow. Or 29/30.

Just need a postcode, house number and time.

talkingcars
15-09-12, 07:06 PM
How far is Sams car getting stripped?

I definatly up for that, I love stripping cars.

http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcars/1.6l/The%20end%20003a.jpg

peterzs
15-09-12, 07:13 PM
To the bone I think.

ZS
15-09-12, 07:30 PM
As far as it will go... storing all parts in the garage once off, can't put cars in there so space isn't much of an issue.

I need to get the engine strapped to the pallet asap really (what do I use to strap it on?) Ready to be shipped.

The major stumbling block I have found for me is the kids... childcare is the number one issue in my life lol...

Pete, I plan to do some more stripping tomorrow anyway (ooo err missus!), so your welcome to help if you wish :)

peterzs
15-09-12, 07:39 PM
OK Sam, PM your details, see you about 10ish if thats OK.

Do you want me to bring up a trolly jack??

I have some lorry strops, see if I can dig one out to strap the engine down.

ZS
15-09-12, 07:45 PM
OK Sam, PM your details, see you about 10ish if thats OK.

Do you want me to bring up a trolly jack??

I have some lorry strops, see if I can dig one out to strap the engine down.

I have one trolley jack... but another can't hurt.

If your serious about popping over and helping I'd be silly to turn down the help! Thank you!

Sonic_160zr
15-09-12, 08:00 PM
Deffinatly up for more meets like this, I really want to be able to more jobs on the car myself so being able to watxh someone and help would be great, as long as members aren't left out of pocket when hosting (for food or consumables etc.)

Maybe have a kitty for each meet that attendees can chuck a couple of ££ to help cover the costs for food and have a pre organised list of what jobs are being done at the meet.

Cheers,
Matt

peterzs
15-09-12, 08:08 PM
Site wouldnt be up and running without all your computer wizardry, so I'm happy giving a bit back.

Might be more of a hindrance than a help, but always easier with two working.

Bringing the jack up, plus some tools.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ZS
15-09-12, 08:10 PM
Site wouldnt be up and running without all your computer wizardry, so I'm happy giving a bit back.

Might be more of a hindrance than a help, but always easier with two working.

Bringing the jack up, plus some tools.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oooo tools, I need some larger star drive things to remove the seats if you happen to have any??

peterzs
15-09-12, 08:25 PM
just popping over to Son in Law, to borrow his, lucky you said.

Smokey
15-09-12, 08:37 PM
I used a very large screw driver and a wrench to undo mine. Was NOT fun!

petet16
15-09-12, 09:04 PM
Make sure you dig all the rubbish out the recess first.

talkingcars
15-09-12, 09:33 PM
Torx T50 - I have one of those on a 3/8 socket drive.
I also have an engine hoist.
I might be able to provide some banding.

All will have to wait until the 29th though as I spent half today stripping a dash out of someone elses car so have to gain some domestic favour tommorow.

peterzs
15-09-12, 10:42 PM
At Son in Laws now, got a T50..

So that should be sorted.

Smokey
16-09-12, 07:56 AM
:thumbsup:

Nobrainer
16-09-12, 08:10 AM
Permission granted, I will have youngest in tow though

ZS
16-09-12, 06:27 PM
A BIG thankyou to PeterZS and NoBrainer!

We have got further on stripping the car than I thought possible in one day!

All that's left really is to remove the engine (ran out of time today! and could do with a crane...) and remove the rear suspension... So again Thankyou to you both!

Dan1971
16-09-12, 06:47 PM
Great stuff .... what goodies have you got then .... how's the lowered suspension looking .... :hmm:

ZS
16-09-12, 07:01 PM
Great stuff .... what goodies have you got then .... how's the lowered suspension looking .... :hmm:

Not got to fitting the lowering springs yet! Will let you know when i do though... what goodies you after?

Nobrainer
16-09-12, 07:19 PM
No worries. It was a nice day and your kids were great babysitters. Had a look at my diary and im off tomorrow so might get a chance to fiddle with mine. Wow. Car stuff three days running!

Dan1971
16-09-12, 07:33 PM
Not got to fitting the lowering springs yet! Will let you know when i do though... what goodies you after?

No idea .... :laugh:

daytona365
16-09-12, 10:32 PM

You soldered your heater resistor yet?

stamford
17-09-12, 07:25 AM
You soldered your heater resistor yet?

I hope this is not the one sitting in your box of rags and gloves I have here!

peterzs
17-09-12, 08:49 AM
Had a good day, last time I went stripping with some mates, was back in the late 60's, somewhere in a place called Soho!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit different, but least all the bits were removed carefully.

Looking forward to getting the engine out and on the pallet, bonus for Smokey, he gets a lorry stroop.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Nobrainer
17-09-12, 09:04 AM
Good thing you kept your clothes on this time then :-)

peterzs
17-09-12, 09:08 AM
Wasnt enough in the hat when you passed it round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZS
24-09-12, 08:58 PM
Anyone else popping over on Saturday? or is it just Talkingcars and Myself removing this engine? :D

If I have orders in before thursday I'll get some lunch items in (maybe a few drinks items as well) :D

Dan1971
24-09-12, 09:20 PM
I can't this weekend - sorry .....

Nobrainer
24-09-12, 10:38 PM
My parents are coming over and my wife would be far from impressed if i bunked off and left her to it.

daytona365
25-09-12, 06:15 AM
In down in Wales this wkd, which is ashame as my Zed is still in need of a bit of work.............. Ah well, mini repair meet at Dans lol.

stamford
25-09-12, 07:07 AM
Anyone else popping over on Saturday? or is it just Talkingcars and Myself removing this engine? :D

If I have orders in before thursday I'll get some lunch items in (maybe a few drinks items as well) :D

Not sure at present, Sat mornings are a non-starter for me. I have to watch my back if it is an engine out job, it's a little fragile at the moment.

What time are you looking to kick-off in-case I can spare some time to do assist?

talkingcars
25-09-12, 08:44 AM
Not sure at present, Sat mornings are a non-starter for me. I have to watch my back if it is an engine out job, it's a little fragile at the moment.

What time are you looking to kick-off in-case I can spare some time to do assist?

I'm looking at getting down there for about 9.30-10.

I've not taken an engine out for years so even a inteligent guide will be useful, especially later on when we've got stumpted.

peterzs
25-09-12, 09:15 AM
I'll pop over, give you a few pointers!!!

peterzs
25-09-12, 09:20 AM
My parents are coming over and my wife would be far from impressed if i bunked off and left her to it.

Could always pop out for a pint of milk. ;););)

Depending when its out might need a bit of grunt to move it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

stamford
25-09-12, 09:36 AM
What is the plan on removing? Hoist available? Or a case of cutting the front off and dropping it onto the pallet and pushing the car back away from it? Plenty of ways to do it.

POMPSKI
25-09-12, 09:44 AM
As we know, my knowledge on cars is poor. But I am very good with a spanner :) I'll be popping in at some point if that is ok ;)

peterzs
25-09-12, 09:47 AM
Think Talkingcars has a hoist.

peterzs
25-09-12, 09:50 AM
As we know, my knowledge on cars is poor. But I am very good with a spanner :) I'll be popping in at some point if that is ok ;)

Specially welcome when we need to move it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No knowledge required, best way of learning, seeing what needs undoing and why.

:yay::yay::yay:

stamford
25-09-12, 10:34 AM

That's good as the one I borrowed from work was a right pita to get in the back of the Landy, did my back in and nearly damaged the car last time. Unfortunately my trailer is not ready for the road as yet otherwise I could have dropped it in that.

talkingcars
25-09-12, 11:28 AM

Indeed, I do.

Also a couple of angle grinders............

stamford
25-09-12, 11:35 AM
Well if the engine is going complete with gearbox then it may well be easier to drop it straight down onto the pallet and hoist the car over it. It is the same method I used to change the V6 engine in my Calibra. Drop front subfame and engine to the ground and lift the car up and away. In this case it would be easier and quicker to cut the front cross member off and pull it out? The shell is being weighed in is it not?

ZS
25-09-12, 12:01 PM
Yes the shell is being weighed in :)

If we have angle grinders and its easier to cut some of the car away then happy to do that!

Since I would rather not leave the engine out on the drive for any length of time I have cleared some space in the garage... *IF* we can get it down there! lol if not then I will arrange to get it collected sooner rather than later... (We all know what those pikeys are like!)

stamford
25-09-12, 12:11 PM
Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.

ZS
25-09-12, 12:16 PM
Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.

I suppose it depends how heavy it is?

My only experience of moving an engine is with a 1.8 K4 (ZS 120) engine that two of us lifted and carried easily from the boot of a saloon ZS to the other side of the workshop :)

I know the KV6 would be heavier... but how much heavier?

As for putting on the truck, I assumed (from experience working in a warehouse) that the courier would have a pallet truck (since its a pallet courier company) that would make light work of moving it from garage to lorry...

stamford
25-09-12, 12:25 PM
Ah good point about the pallet truck! Around 150kg for the engine alone. I don't have the wet and dry weights at hand.

peterzs
28-09-12, 06:01 PM
got my engine trolley in the car, hopefully we can put the pallet with the engine on it and wheel it down the drive. Might have to carry it over the stones though.

How many coming tomorrow???

Got my trolley jack and some sandwiches, about 9.30 ish I hope.

:):):)

talkingcars
28-09-12, 06:32 PM
How many coming tomorrow???

Me, will be loading the hoist in the morning as I've just been elected to pick kids up at midnight so might not be down until 10 but we'll see what we can do.

stamford
28-09-12, 06:37 PM
I can't help as driving to Aldershot with my daughter to collect a car and my back is not too good today. If I can pop over at all I will but doubt if I'll be free until midday onwards.

peterzs
28-09-12, 06:44 PM
More the merrier!!

POMPSKI
30-09-12, 09:21 PM
Drove past about 16:30, saw a lovely black saloon. My sister car! But didnt see any others or any action happening so figured everyone had gone home, hope it went well!

stamford
01-10-12, 07:15 AM
I hope it went well as was pretty much tied up all day doing stuff not on my own list of things to do! Still productive but for others for a change.

ZS
01-10-12, 09:14 AM
Drove past about 16:30, saw a lovely black saloon. My sister car! But didnt see any others or any action happening so figured everyone had gone home, hope it went well!

Should have knocked :) I was still there (obviously lol) Would have been good to say hello! - The black saloon is filthy at the moment, need to clean it again!!

I hope it went well as was pretty much tied up all day doing stuff not on my own list of things to do! Still productive but for others for a change.

Yeah went really well, can't thank James enough for the loan of the engine crane! By 2pm we had done everything I wanted to do! Now all I have to do is find someone to take the shell away... get smokey to collect the engine and sell the rest of the parts off :)

peterzs
01-10-12, 09:20 AM
Yep all good, Talkingcars engine hoist was a God send, couldnt have done it without it, well we could but would be talking with higher voices and using walking sticks.

Is a heavy old lump, but couldnt beat us three.

Only thing to remove is the roll pin, from the gearbox, we couldnt move it!!! ;);)

Talkingcars had all the kit, proper strapping and even shrink wrap stuff.

We got on well, think I was back home by 2.30 ish.

Sooner take it out, than put it back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

stamford
01-10-12, 10:16 AM
Glad it went well and the weather stayed kind too, good job :thumbsup:

Nobrainer
01-10-12, 12:50 PM
Well done boys!

Nobrainer
24-10-12, 05:17 PM
Meet on Sunday in the New Forest to sort CV joints/ lower ball joints if anyone fancys coming along.

talkingcars
24-10-12, 08:09 PM
Would love to but will be in Amsterdam.

Nobrainer
24-10-12, 08:51 PM
I know where Id rather be ;-)
Enjoy

Captain Peanut
25-10-12, 07:34 AM
Not going to be able to make Sunday I'm afraid, have been volunteered to service a friends C1!

If anyone happens to be near Woking before then and wants to borrow a ball joint splitter let me know.

ZS
25-10-12, 07:45 AM
Its half term and looks like I might be heading down to plymouth this weekend... So I don't think I can make it either!

POMPSKI
25-10-12, 11:33 AM
I may make it, im down south again. I'll let you know ;)

DuckFeet
18-02-13, 10:17 PM
What's needed to host one of these? I've got two BBQs and parking for at least 4 cars including mine. Maybe as many as 7.

To do:
CV boots

maybe:
Battery to boot
various polybushes.

Probably looking at a weekend in April, depending on when I can kick the missus out (temporarily, to her parents')

MickUK
19-02-13, 07:35 AM
My College has a rather large car park........

stamford
19-02-13, 07:46 AM
Sounds ideal, plenty of room, plenty of hands and willing helpers with things that need doing and assistence. Plus the right tools as well.

DuckFeet
19-02-13, 08:36 AM
My College has a rather large car park........

How do they feel about it being covered in CV grease and Barbecue ash?

ZS
19-02-13, 09:09 AM
I'm up for another Hands On Meet, if its at mine I'll fire up the Wii for the kids :D lol if not then I'll arrange some child minding and pop along to help out :)

daytona365
19-02-13, 04:57 PM
Im up for one, as long as Im free of course. Nice to meet fellow ZS'rs and get some work done too..........