PDA

View Full Version : Pulley Noise??

KirkJames
15-09-12, 12:50 PM
I have previously thought that my inlet manifold was the cause of my rattling that I was getting but a friend of mine recently said it sounded like it was coming from the top pulley (the one on show right next to the engine stabiliser bush).
So I went out for a little listen today when car was cold and I think he's right, and also it appears to be wobbling ever so slightly. The strange thing is tho as the car warms up the noise decreases!
What can this be? I am a little concerned with this discovery. Am I right to be cos if it turns out to be really expensive to sort i may have to get rid as it wont be worth it compared to the value of the car!

Any info please guys??

I will post a pic of the offender asap!

KirkJames
15-09-12, 12:57 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4082599215959&l=55ad9991bc

That's the culprit!!

I can't for some reason upload to my Photobucket or Picassa account that's why the link for FB is there.

petet16
15-09-12, 01:47 PM
Power steering pulley I think, is the fluid level up to max.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 01:55 PM
I know this will sound thick Pete but are you talking about the swirl pot level? If so that is just under the full mark.

welshone
15-09-12, 01:57 PM
Yes thats the power steering pulley. The one next to it is the alternator and the one below the both of them in the tensioner.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:08 PM
Ok so is this a relatively easy fix?

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:09 PM
And is it anything to be concerned over?

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:10 PM
I know this will sound thick Pete but are you talking about the swirl pot level? If so that is just under the full mark.

petet16
15-09-12, 02:13 PM
The power steering reservoir next to the engine steady bar, on the left edge of the pic, with a Yellow label

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/petet16/100_1340.jpg

andy-81
15-09-12, 02:14 PM
I am having the same problem at first I thought it was something behind the dash so your problem has shed a little light on mine, now I'm not sure if the pulley can be replaced but I would imagine its the bearings on the pulley worst cased scenario is a new pump

welshone
15-09-12, 02:15 PM
Don't think this is common but worse case I believe is a replacement power steering pump. Should be able to pick up a secondhand one for less then £50.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:16 PM
Thanks Pete I didn't mean to post that twice, my phone was spazzing out I think. Yeah that pot is just under the full mark, but it's a nasty brown colour. Is that right?

petet16
15-09-12, 02:18 PM
You would need to change the pump, but first it would be worth changing the fluid, it might quieten it down a bit.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:19 PM
I think either I am going crazy or something is up with either this work computer or the site today. The level is just under the full mark but is Brown fluid??
Also can a slightly faulty power steering pump cause the pulley to wobble like that?

petet16
15-09-12, 02:20 PM
Nasty brown is bad, the fluid is automatic trans fluid and should be Red, if it's gone Brown I think the pump may be on its way out.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:20 PM
You would need to change the pump, but first it would be worth changing the fluid, it might quieten it down a bit.

How would I go about that? How do I drain it etc, and I hope I don't have to bleed anything as I am useless with stuff like that!

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:23 PM
Oh 5hit, it's been like that for ages :( but I didn't know any better....oops. Come to think of it the steering has made a few funny noises recently. Doesn't help driving around with split cv joints. which is being done asap

petet16
15-09-12, 02:24 PM
It's self bleeding, so no worries there, I used one of those disposable plastic syringes to empty the reservoir, the other option is to disconnect one of the pipes and drain it that way

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:32 PM
Ok thanks Pete. I have some automatic transmission fluid in the shed, will that do. Should quiten it down a bit before I need to get a new pump!
Do you know if self fitting of a new pump is relatively easy?

petet16
15-09-12, 02:38 PM
I've not done a v6 one, but access looks ok, so I reckon it would be a doable job, I did a T series one which is buried down the front of the engine and was a pita.

atf fluid will be fine.

KirkJames
15-09-12, 02:43 PM
Thanks mate, the power steering is down the front underneath I believe!

KirkJames
15-09-12, 10:16 PM
I have about 550ml of mtf 94. Can I use that and is that enough??

petet16
15-09-12, 10:19 PM
Mtf 94 is gearbox oil, don't use it in the pas:-D

KirkJames
15-09-12, 10:58 PM
Mtf 94 is gearbox oil, don't use it in the pas:-D

It says transmission fluid on it so I thought I would ask first lol

andy-81
16-09-12, 02:18 PM
Best thing to is get some ATF (automatic transmission fluid) then take the cap off the swirl pot, jack the car up and look for where the power steering pipe enters the rack and undo it, drain the fluid then discard of it a your local tip.
Once drained refit the pipe then top up with the new fluid once the your at max replace the cap then start your car and turn the steering from lock to lock a few times, this will bleed the system then just top up if needed

KirkJames
16-09-12, 03:08 PM
Best thing to is get some ATF (automatic transmission fluid) then take the cap off the swirl pot, jack the car up and look for where the power steering pipe enters the rack and undo it, drain the fluid then discard of it a your local tip.
Once drained refit the pipe then top up with the new fluid once the your at max replace the cap then start your car and turn the steering from lock to lock a few times, this will bleed the system then just top up if needed

Nice one Andy, I'll do that tomorrow if I can :)

Fred68
16-09-12, 05:08 PM
Ok thanks Pete. I have some automatic transmission fluid in the shed, will that do. Should quiten it down a bit before I need to get a new pump!
Do you know if self fitting of a new pump is relatively easy?

Changing the pump can be done easy enough although there are 2 different types. The one you need is unique to the 180 iirc. It's easy to drain the system and easy to refill and bleed.

KirkJames
16-09-12, 06:00 PM
Changing the pump can be done easy enough although there are 2 different types. The one you need is unique to the 180 iirc. It's easy to drain the system and easy to refill and bleed.

Yeah I'll drain and refill first cos money is very tight at the mo, if that fails to sort it then as long as it's working I'll save some pennies and get a 2nd hand unit ;)