PDA

View Full Version : The history of the MG ZS as we know it

Maxxed_Ross
12-12-07, 11:17 PM
Was dored tonight so decided to go look up the MG ZS, here's what I found:

The ZS is essentialy a badge engineered Rover 45 (which was launched in 1999). The 45 in turn is a facelifted version of the Rover 400 which was launched in hatchback form in 1995 and saloon form in 1996. The Rover 400 had much in common with the Honda Civic of 1995-1999. At the time of development, Honda and Rover worked in partnership to design and develop cars for the Japanese and European markets.

The model was rapidly created from the Rover 45 after BMW sold off Rover in 2000. Development of the model was greatly accelerated by the fact that Rover had already created 400-series prototypes of the car using V6 engines and sporting suspension setups. In fact, MG-Rover developed MG versions of all three Rover cars on sale at the time. The Rover 25 became the MG ZR, the 45 the ZS and the 75 the ZT.

The Rover 45 donor car did not have a reputation for being a driver's car but in fact it was the most suitable car in the Rover range for transformation into an MG, its Honda heritage providing double-wishbone front suspension and fully independent multi-link rear suspension.

As a Rover, the car was always optimised for comfort rather than handling — as an MG this choice was reversed to dramatic effect.

Despite being arguably less pretty than the MG ZR and MG ZT in terms of external appearance, the ZS is arguably the best driver’s car of the trio, offering a lot of power in V6 form and a supple chassis with excellent handling.

A successor to the Rover 45/MG ZS (known internally as RDX60) was under development. This was to have been based on a shortened Rover 75 floorpan and was to appear in saloon, hatchback and 'tourer' (estate) bodystyles. Chassis development was being undertaken by Tom Walkinshaw Racing and ceased when TWR collapsed. The non-appearance of RDX60 meant that the ZS was facelifted and continued in production until the demise of MG-Rover.

In 2004 the ZS was facelifted with the rest of the MG-Rover range. The retro design cues adopted when the 400 became the 45 were mostly dropped. For the first time the Rover 45 and MG ZS became noticeably different looking cars – at least in the high specification ZS180 version. Wheelarch extensions, side vents in the wings and other touches delivered a distinctive look for the new ZS. The 2004 model also received a revised interior with new seat materials, a new dash design incorporating climate control on certain models.

MG ZS production ceased in April 2005 on the bankrupty of MG Rover, and the rights to make the car were soon repossessed by Honda - who owned the rights to the original 1995 design. MG production was revived two years on by new owners Nanjing Automobile, and the ZS's successor - the MG 5 - is set for a launch in 2008.

The ZS has been raced in the British Touring Car Championship since 2001. The West Surrey Racing (WSR) team enjoyed 'works' status for several years and initially ran cars with a two-litre version of the Rover KV6 engine, later switching to four-cylinder K-series engines developed by JUDD engineering. Ex-WSR V6 cars have appeared in other hands, and a 'junior team' was run in 2002 as part of a partnership with pop group "Attomic Kitten".

stamford
13-12-07, 07:19 AM
Did you know that the ZS as we now know it was originally called the X20 before its launch?

arwilson80
13-12-07, 08:32 AM
I do now. ;)

RalphG
13-12-07, 12:19 PM
The ZT was X10 and the ZR was X30.

KevG
13-12-07, 01:18 PM
.........MG ZS production ceased in April 2005 on the bankrupty of MG Rover, and the rights to make the car were soon repossessed by Honda - who owned the rights to the original 1995 design. MG production was revived two years on by new owners Nanjing Automobile, and the ZS's successor - the MG 5 - is set for a launch in 2008.

Only in China though, under Honda approval.

Southern Storm
13-12-07, 02:21 PM
Have seen a few bits of the '5' and it is the same as the facelift ZS. However the chinese writing on it just hammers home the fact it is not an MG

Maxxed_Ross
13-12-07, 05:35 PM
the dash in the ZR looks to be different, they've made a funky new heater control system

KevG
13-12-07, 05:37 PM
.........However the chinese writing on it just hammers home the fact it is not an MG

The cars which were on show at the Shanghai Motor Show were cars imported from Longbridge as kits and nailed together in China, so effectively they are proper MG's albeit Chinese built Longbridge cars.

http://www.chinacartimes.com/wp-content/mg_5.jpg
Notice the rear spats that are missing from the rear doors
http://www.coches-es.com/noticias/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/autoblog_dsc00620.jpg
http://bp0.blogger.com/_CVOr0TtSP9k/Riq6AUAb4uI/AAAAAAAAEZM/zwZbVBRKCNw/s1600/MG5_2007_Shanghai_Auto_Show_03.jpg

Southern Storm
13-12-07, 08:16 PM
Hmmm see where you are coming from and yes i suppose they are Longbridge cars, but they have chinese writing on and they were bolted together as their 'home' was being torn apart. It isn't an MG in my eyes.
I know I am being incredibly stupid and at least the motor and the badge still exists but when they market it as 'Modern Gentleman' it hurts to have them picking over the remains of a name and badge I love. Gonna stop now cause I look more stupid by the minute.

Maxxed_Ross
13-12-07, 08:22 PM

hehe I've got some nah nah nahnah naaah!

D3monstrate
13-12-07, 08:59 PM
"Despite being arguably less pretty than the MG ZR and MG ZT in terms of external appearance"

I always thought the ZS was the better looking of the lot...

shroonie29
13-12-07, 09:05 PM
It's in the eye of the beholder though innit

shroon

Mat C
13-12-07, 09:18 PM
Hmmm see where you are coming from and yes i suppose they are Longbridge cars, but they have chinese writing on and they were bolted together as their 'home' was being torn apart. It isn't an MG in my eyes.
I know I am being incredibly stupid and at least the motor and the badge still exists but when they market it as 'Modern Gentleman' it hurts to have them picking over the remains of a name and badge I love. Gonna stop now cause I look more stupid by the minute.

Exactly my thoughts too, they are only MG's in name and not in spirit or heritage. It is a complete basterdisation of the badge and an insult to our intelligence that they think they can flog a dead horse back to a country they practicaly pillaged and raped of it's remaining car industry assets - the basterds.

papa_lazaroo
13-12-07, 09:21 PM
Word on the grapevine (at Nissan design centre I am still intouch with a lot of the Longbridge lads who now work in Warwich for our little yellow skined friends) and they may look similar, but the build quality is so poor, that if you slam the boot, the rear doors fall open, and it crash tests badly.

Southern Storm
13-12-07, 09:42 PM
Word on the grapevine (at Nissan design centre I am still intouch with a lot of the Longbridge lads who now work in Warwich for our little yellow skined friends) and they may look similar, but the build quality is so poor, that if you slam the boot, the rear doors fall open, and it crash tests badly.

Not sure if that makes me smug or sad. Smug that the forefathers were doing the right thing in the first place. We knew how it should be built. Sad that the MG badge sinks further into the quagmire. Maybe it would have been better to finally let it die.

papa_lazaroo
13-12-07, 09:45 PM
On a more cheerful note (maybe), did you know that whoever buys Jag and Land Rover, has the right to use "Rover" again. Lets hope they won't be made in bloody Chanai - India

arwilson80
13-12-07, 09:54 PM

So even the new manafacturer can't get parts... :trampoline:

RalphG
13-12-07, 09:58 PM
Have you seen the new MG7 with the premium bumper? The chrome insert for this bumper is no longer available. Looking at the photographs from Nanjing it appears that they have used part of the chrome from the boot lid plus some other bits instead.

Maxxed_Ross
13-12-07, 10:59 PM
haha that is so funny but yet just the sort of thing they would do

MG will never be the same again, for me it died the day it was sold off

Zippy Saloon
15-12-07, 07:42 AM
So even the new manafacturer can't get parts... :trampoline:Its a bit poor that they couldn't have made some spats - even made of wood with a skim of filler, I suppose they didn't have the craftsmen there to manage it :pileofpoo:

KevG
15-12-07, 09:05 AM
Its not the fact that they couldn't get the parts, it is the rumor though that the actual design drawings were mislaid and the body kit couldn't get remade, so the story goes!

KevG
15-12-07, 09:16 AM

Apparently the metal used to make the body shells in China/UK are of thinner gauge, so the crash testing will be interesting.

Even though Stadco who make the bodyshells now have the presses in Longbridge, they are not using Corus Steel, but Steel from China, do they can make both the Chinese and UK cars the same.

THE return of car production to Longbridge will accelerate today when a key supplier signs a £3 million deal to restart body shell production at the former MG Rover site. Stadco, which used to supply the parts for the MG TF sports car, is one of 150 suppliers who have agreed to provide components for Nanjing Automobile's (NAC) relaunch of the car next year.

Following a joint investment of more than £3 million, it has begun begin shifting part of its production from Coventry to Birmingham in a move which will generate up to 50 new jobs at Longbridge. The move, which is due to take place next month, could be followed by other manufacturers who have been approached to move to the factory.

The body shell facility had been mothballed at Stadco's factory in Holbrook Lane when MG Rover collapsed into administration in April 2005. But following the signing of the deal - which could ultimately be worth up to £2 million per year to Stadco - the new facility will be set up early in the new year.

The new unit, based in the CAB B building, will resume production by April and start full production in time for the relaunch of the new TF sports car in July. Early volumes of the car are expected to be around 4000 vehicles per year, although this could rise to meet demand. Stadco, which took over the panel making business from Mayflower which collapsed in 2004, will lose no jobs in Coventry. Stadco is also involved in the modifications to the TF design, including remodelling of its interior trim, bumpers, lamps, as well as a possible hard top coupe version which could be introduced in 2008. As part of the deal, a team from Stadco will also travel to China to help establish a body shell production facility for NAC's new factory in Nanjing.

James Lin, operations director of NAC at Longbridge, said he welcomed the move, which could be followed by other suppliers. He said: "Stadco used to be an original supplier to Rover, so we know by working with them we can maintain the quality on important product. Stadco has also provided technical for our factory in China. This kind of project is the first stage in our global startegy. Stadco are good are engineering design and product development and have a very good understanding of the US market."

As well as manufacturers, NAC has signed agreements with engineering service providers like MIRA and Prodrive. Seating manufacturers and wheel companies have also voiced an interest in moving to Longbridge, said Mr Lin.

Wagn Hong Biao, chairman of Nanjing Automotive UK, said: "We are pleased to secure Stadco as a supplier because they bring a wealth of experience with them." Mr Lin, said: "There was rumours about us moving our operations to Coventry. That was wrong. What we are doing is moving Coventry operations to Longbridge."

stamford
15-12-07, 10:36 AM
Interesting note about the quality of steel there, I may go dig a bit deeper and see what I can find on this. Corus are now part of TATA Steel and both are clients of ours, however the Chinese ones are somewhat different.

A list of the client base is here (http://www.corewire.com/ClientsPartners.asp)