PDA

View Full Version : Nanjing MG to make MG X80?

Maxxed_Ross
12-12-07, 11:27 PM
Found this article in the China Car Times:

The MG X80 was designed during the days of the Phoenix Four running MG-Rover, and according to Wikipedia was used as a design basis for the much more powerful MG XPower SV model.

The current Nanjing MG website has a small flashing banner that scrolls through the MG models, the MG3, the MG5, and the MG7. The MG5 clearly shows the MG X80, which never went into production but was rumoured to come with a big stonking engine that would allow it to compete in the USA against US offerings.

The ‘MG5′ from Nanjing MG could either be down to a lazy graphic designer who just used some random stock photos to make the graphic, or Nanjing MG have the blueprints and the plan to make this car.

http://www.chinacartimes.com/wp-content/2007/10/mg880.jpg

http://www.chinacartimes.com/wp-content/2007/10/mgx80.jpg

Sounds interesting :mml:

Boot Hill Bandit
12-12-07, 11:33 PM
If they make that.......I will sell my body.....and my parents.......just to get that car.........and if I don't fit.......I will sell the seats and buy two cusions :joker:

Thats fookin gorgeous that! Almost as better looking as me!

Jim

stamford
13-12-07, 07:33 AM
I believe it was based on the design that was owned by Qvale, MGR bought the assests. Qvale in-turn bought the rights from De Tomaso.

This was the original car design that spawned into the MG/F & TF as we know. But was also the basis of the X80. Later that was dropped and eventually lead to the SV, again a design bought from the Qvale assests.
http://www.pistonheads.com/fastcars/detomaso/Mangusta-01.gif

arwilson80
13-12-07, 08:35 AM
I saw that out of the corner of my eye a wee while ago while ago when my lil bro was online. I'm not sure on it though...

Boot Hill Bandit
13-12-07, 08:44 AM
I saw that out of the corner of my eye a wee while ago while ago when my lil bro was online. I'm not sure on it though...

If we are going to be picky.......I would say the front grille aperture is too big......and the rear 'lights' look *****. I have always had a soft spot for the original shape and design of the F/TF rear lights......and the Lexus style ones look even better.

Jim

RalphG
13-12-07, 12:17 PM
We have that second picture on the wall in our shop...

There is so much rubbish written on Wikipedia!

The X80 project is the SV. I can't see how they can produce the X80. They might be able to build something that looks like the X80, but it won't be it. The chassis for the X80 was built in Italy and weighs the best part of a tonne, which is one of the reasons the SV is so heavy (1500 kg, despite the carbon fibre body shell).

MGZS180
13-12-07, 12:42 PM
Looks a bit like a horrid Ford Probe !

arwilson80
13-12-07, 01:17 PM
The X80 project is the SV.

I'd have to agree with you on that... after the front lights and the grill it's basically an SV IMO.

Maxxed_Ross
13-12-07, 05:38 PM
There is so much rubbish written on Wikipedia!

not in this case, it didn't come from Wikipedia :shoot:

I'm not sure if I like it or not, the front is funky but the back looks too high up

looks a bit like that Volvo C70 convertable from the side too :unsure:

stamford
13-12-07, 06:56 PM
Reminds me of a chaved up Calibra.

mattie007
13-12-07, 09:52 PM
I think the design is quite dated now aswell.

Venom
15-12-07, 06:21 PM
I would consider that as a replacment to the ZS 180 if they ever launch it as long as the enigne choice is good....? The back end has a slight TVR style to it