PDA

View Full Version : local help needed

grimmy
11-10-12, 10:53 AM
Right my Scottish chums the car has failed it's mot on a corroded nearside rear brake line ,so does anyone know somewhere I can either buy the bits or have it repaired?obviously cost is my main restriction.cheers in advance lads.

stamford
11-10-12, 10:57 AM
Not local I know but this may help. You can buy coils of copper pipe and fittings to make your own sections. So I'm sure there will be someone near you with the kit to assist.

I keep a coil, plus fittings and a flaring kit for such matters, didn't cost much. Bought the tools from Screwfix and bits from the local motor factors.

grimmy
11-10-12, 11:00 AM
Cheers Mick.hopefully someone can help out quickly.tester was good about it he said he will retest for free because it failed on something so small.

stamford
11-10-12, 11:22 AM
Pity I'm not local eh! Would have done it for you mate.

andys1981
11-10-12, 11:32 AM
see goldie mate

BUCKYDEVIL
11-10-12, 11:48 AM
see goldie mate

Yup - what he says..

grimmy
11-10-12, 12:16 PM
I will message him.but my problem.is I need it done asap and I know how busy he is.

Maxfly
11-10-12, 03:52 PM
Kev and myself did the brake lines on the Scrote and his Arsetra mate, very simple and should be cheap enough, if you can get a shotty of a flaring tool?!?! we had the benefit of a ramp which makes things easier but sure you could manage it with help:)
Wasn't dear at least, just the cost of brake fluid, piping and unions nuts etc. Kev be better at letting you know what exactly things are called lol :D

grimmy
11-10-12, 04:25 PM
Cheers Gary have done the job on other cars before but it's the getting shot of a flaring tool.that would be the problem mate.

Ritchy
11-10-12, 04:54 PM
think the nearside one you may be able to get away with not taking the tank out, it kinda runs over it, kinda awkward one to do tbh, would want a ramp to do one, may be esiest to piece in the piece required but then you need an on car flaring tool, plus the steel pipes are a lot harder to flare in the first place compared to the copper, miost garages will take an hours labour to do a brake pipe

grimmy
11-10-12, 05:01 PM
think the nearside one you may be able to get away with not taking the tank out, it kinda runs over it, kinda awkward one to do tbh, would want a ramp to do one, may be esiest to piece in the piece required but then you need an on car flaring tool, plus the steel pipes are a lot harder to flare in the first place compared to the copper, miost garages will take an hours labour to do a brake pipe

Mot tester said the whole thing wasn't needling replaced just the small section from the flexi back. Need to go look for a brake system diagram you have got me spooked now.

Maxfly
11-10-12, 05:06 PM
Cheers Gary have done the job on other cars before but it's the getting shot of a flaring tool.that would be the problem mate.

Aye, we managed to get a shotty of one from Harkness bodywork....have a vague recollection of kev possibly saying he had one, but that could well be wrong?!?!
One of the scrotes lines went over the fuel tank, as said we had a ramp which made it easier but all we did was remove old line, measure teh new piece against it then fed it over the tank and adjusted it to suit the route required:)

grimmy
11-10-12, 05:25 PM
Aye, we managed to get a shotty of one from Harkness bodywork....have a vague recollection of kev possibly saying he had one, but that could well be wrong?!?!
One of the scrotes lines went over the fuel tank, as said we had a ramp which made it easier but all we did was remove old line, measure teh new piece against it then fed it over the tank and adjusted it to suit the route required:)
checked with Kev earlier he doesnt have one Gary,will just wait and see if Goldie can help me out.

scotttait
11-10-12, 05:36 PM
If your not far from Stirling I could prob get it done this week for you at some point, cheapish

grimmy
11-10-12, 05:39 PM
If your not far from Stirling I could prob get it done this week for you at some point, cheapish

Just over in cumbernauld mate,I will get back to you over the weekend if I can't get myself.sorted out. Cheers mate.

Ritchy
11-10-12, 05:39 PM
got a bench flarer your free to borrow but i dont have time to do it

grimmy
11-10-12, 05:42 PM
got a bench flarer your free to borrow but i dont have time to do it

Cheers ritchy.

talkingcars
11-10-12, 06:03 PM
Shame you're not down south, could have borrowed my flairing tool.

When I've replace lines I've reused the old union - at least there is no chance it's the wrong size.

If it's only a short section it is possible to cut this out and flair the exsisting pipe and fit a coupling but I would normally replace the whole length.

stamford
11-10-12, 07:24 PM
Shame you're not down south, could have borrowed my flairing tool.

When I've replace lines I've reused the old union - at least there is no chance it's the wrong size.

If it's only a short section it is possible to cut this out and flair the exsisting pipe and fit a coupling but I would normally replace the whole length.

A normal DIY flaring kit will not work in OE pipes as they tend to be steel and therefore too hard. These kits only work on copper unless you have an industrial kit.

talkingcars
11-10-12, 08:06 PM
I got mine when the garage I worked for moved and closed the old workshop but I've never tried it on O/E pipes so no idea if it'll work.

BUCKYDEVIL
11-10-12, 08:28 PM
If you need a spare pair of hands at any point just give me a call,
My weekend off also..

Ritchy
11-10-12, 08:39 PM
say it depends where it is, and how much yhour replacing, if its just the pipe where it does the 180degree turn back into the flexi you could just join it in next to the tank before it goes over it, it runs next to the fuel lines, its a male join into the flexi pipe, and youll obviosly need a male and a female union if youre piecing it in, dont think the pipe has another join in it until it goes into the abs unit, id try not let the resevior run dry if possible, the abs can potentially be a nightmare to bleed if it gets air in it

grimmy
11-10-12, 08:51 PM
Think I am going to.garage it,it's all starting to sound a bit much for me and I need the car on the road.

ZRed
11-10-12, 09:05 PM
Hello, did someone shine my light in the sky?

Let me know if I'm needed.

BUCKYDEVIL
11-10-12, 09:10 PM
Hello, did someone shine my light in the sky?

Let me know if I'm needed.

:super: to the rescue

ZRed
11-10-12, 09:16 PM
Call or text me in morning mate. I'm off to bed.

grimmy
11-10-12, 09:27 PM
Call or text me in morning mate. I'm off to bed.

Not got your number and I can't seem to find the fb page will email you mate cheers.