PDA

View Full Version : rear brake calipers

barry
18-10-12, 02:59 PM
can anyone offer me some advice please.
i having problems with my handbrake on my mg zs 2002 1.8 car creeps forward or backwards on slopes.i've fitted new handbrake cables,then new calipers and pads.can anyone tell me how to reset the calipers if the handbrake has been connected and pulled up.i can get the rear brakes working ok but with no handbrake.i've tried winding pistons on calipers all the way back in but not sure if i have to turn them out a bit.
i lost the paper work that came with the new calipers.
thankyou barry.

peterzs
18-10-12, 03:04 PM
I did a search and found this.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=7656&highlight=hand+brake+adjustment

dont know if this will help

Captain Peanut
18-10-12, 03:06 PM
If I remember correctly the calipers should self adjust.

How many clicks is it to get the handbrake fully on? It may be that it needs adjusting near the handbrake, you can get to the adjuster by removing the rear ashtray.

barry
18-10-12, 04:22 PM
thanks for reply.i've tried to adjust it from rear of ashtray,but no matter how i try the handbrake lever on top of caliper will turn to i'ts stop but it won't push the piston out to squeeze pads on.if the brake pedal is used then the calipers work fine.

petet16
18-10-12, 04:54 PM
Before you started did you wind the adjuster in the centre console right back, and ensure that the levers on the calipers are fully against their stops, you may need to disconnect the cables at the caliper end to check this, also when the piston is wound fully in the slots on the piston should be straight up and down and make sure the peg on the back of the pad engages in the slot, then pull the handbrake up one click and wind the adjuster until you can just feel the pads starting to drag.

POMPSKI
18-10-12, 05:03 PM
Does sound like the pegs are not located properly tbh

petet16
18-10-12, 05:04 PM
Here's a couple of pics of the slots in the piston, and also the lever on the caliper against its stop.
http://images.autopartswarehouse.co.uk/calipers/3519089.jpg

Maxxed_Ross
18-10-12, 05:07 PM
so that's what a new one looks like!

barry
18-10-12, 05:31 PM
yes i did unwind the adjuster inside and made sure slots were in the right place and took cable pins out at caliper end.the paperwork i got with calipers said "do not connect handbrake cables untill the foot pedal is set and system bled"
the bit i can't remember is what to do if handbrake is connected and used before piston is set by foot brake.

petet16
18-10-12, 05:48 PM
I have a feeling you may have to remove the return spring and levers on the calipers and wind handbrake mechanism on the caliper to reset it.

dida4g
19-10-12, 09:34 AM
Slacken handbrake, keep winding the calipers in 1/4 turn until they dont fit over the pads then wind caliper out 1/4 turn and fit. If you have to force caliper on, its too tight, wind 1/4 out and fit.
With it fitted temp remove handbrake spring using mole/vice grips, now operate handbrake manually, I use my wheel brace with 17mm, I can then spin the hub operate the handbrake, be gentle with it though.
After that refit the spring.
HAYNES recommends 7-11 clicks for handbrake.

barry
19-10-12, 05:53 PM
thanks for the advice,i'll have a go at it again,when it stops raining

barry
21-10-12, 04:40 PM
i found the problem in the end after taking rear right caliper off.i took the piston out to find the circlip inside had come out of its housing and the thrustwasher had bent into a 90 degree angle.i straightened washer out then refitted circlip,then refitted caliper and bled system again and all seems to be working ok.tested abs this morning on a quiet road and that works as it should.got a handbrake that works.took a good few hours to do in the rain but glad i didn't have to take it to garage.cheers.