PDA

View Full Version : MG launches MG6 BTCC Special Edition

mattie007
20-10-12, 09:22 AM
see www.MG.co.uk

Could this be what we are all waiting for? :D

I think its going to be released at Brands Hatch today at 1.30pm....

mattie007
20-10-12, 09:26 AM
MG LAUNCHES MG6 BTCC SPECIAL EDITION

MG is launching an MG6 BTCC Special Edition to celebrate its hugely successful return to saloon car racing.

The MG6 GT BTCC Special Edition will be unveiled at the final round of the 2012 MSA Dunlop British Touring Car Championship at Brands Hatch this weekend where MG’s Jason Plato is fighting for the championship.

Plato, in his MG KX Momentum Racing team MG6 GT, is currently second in the rankings and just 15 points behind leader Gordon Shedden as the fight for the title goes down to the line.

It’s been an amazing season for Plato and the MG team in what was supposed to be just a “learning year” in MG’s return to top level racing. This weekend’s final three races will see Plato in a four-way fight for the title between Shedden and his team-mate Matt Neal and Andrew Jordon, who are all in Hondas.

Plato, who has won the BTCC championship twice before, clinched his titles at the fast and demanding Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit.

Against this dramatic backdrop MG will unveil the new road-going MG6 BTCC Special Edition with its striking livery and distinctive Racing matt black roof and Racing matt black 18-inch alloy wheels.

The new car is based on the award-winning MG6 GT and will really stand out from the crowd. Every BTCC Special Edition will also have Racing black gloss sills, door mirror covers, lower front air dam and rear spoiler.

The front grille proudly sports a BTCC badge and a distinctive multi-coloured MG KX Momentum Racing team decal is on the bonnet extension panel above the front grille, on the fastback boot lid and on the front doors and wings just behind the chrome wing vent.

BTCC Edition graphics are highlighted on the sills and also inside the car on the passenger facia.

Power from the BTCC Special Edition is from the 1.8-litre turbo petrol model of the standard car and delivers 160 PSI to give a 0 to 62mph of 8.4 seconds and a top speed electronically limited to 120mph. Yet the car has a Group 14E insurance rating.

The BTCC Special Edition has a very high level of standard equipment including sports driver and front passenger seats, Dunlop Sport 225/45R 18 performance tyres, iTPMS tyre monitoring system, integrated full colour satellite navigation (including a lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster), air conditioning, rear parking sensors, front fog lights, cruise control, an electronic hill hold function, power folding electrically heated exterior mirrors, CD audio with USB and auxiliary inputs for MP3/Ipod connectivity and a leather covered multifunction steering wheel.

Despite its sporting credentials, the BTCC Special Edition is surprisingly practical for everyday use with a huge class leading boot and rear folding seats to give a massive 400 litre cargo capacity.

The cars are covered by a full AA European roadside assistance package for three years, has a three year/60,000 mile manufacturers warranty and the UK dealer network has direct support from the MG Birmingham factory.

Jason Plato said: “It should be quite a weekend. I’m going to give it everything I’ve got. Ian Harrison and all the team at Triple 888 have done a great job with the race car and the timing for the launch of MG’s new BTCC Special Edition is brilliant.

“I’m planning to be on hand to whip the covers off and show the new car to the world as long as my busy weekend programme permits. Anyway, it’s going to be a great weekend for all of us.”** *

Guy Jones, MG Motor UK’s Sales & Marketing Director, said: “Coming back to BTCC racing was a huge gamble for us. But with Jason’s fantastic driving skills, the huge enthusiasm of the whole MG KX Momentum Racing team and the backing of key sponsors such as Tesco Fuels and Castrol, we’ve had a sensational season.

“Our success on the track cried out for a special road-going MG6 car for MG fans to celebrate our return to one of the most popular race series in the world.”

stamford
20-10-12, 09:34 AM
It does read well, look forward to seeing some pictures of it.

POMPSKI
20-10-12, 09:36 AM
Excited!

WalkerDnB
20-10-12, 09:42 AM
How do they manage to get such a small amount of power form a 1.8 turbo?
should be at least 210bhp imo

mattie007
20-10-12, 10:00 AM
I guess as its their only engine and they want to broaden the appeal then its been done to save on mpg and emmissons. It was bad enough releasing a car with just one engine, but if they had gone the 220bhp route, they may have sold a few more to enthusiasts, but not as many to the majority family buyer. The 2.0L Turbo is on its way though! :punk:

WalkerDnB
20-10-12, 10:01 AM
I guess as its their only engine and they want to broaden the appeal then its been done to save on mpg and emmissons. It was bad enough releasing a car with just one engine, but if they had gone the 220bhp route, they may have sold a few more to enthusiasts, but not as many to the majority family buyer. The 2.0L Turbo is on its way though! :punk:

and I bet that only puts out 190bhp lol

I see what your saying though they should of offered a diesel

petet16
20-10-12, 10:06 AM
Best of luck to it, but tbh I'm thinking sheep in wolfs clothing.

Smokey
20-10-12, 10:10 AM
Electronically limited to 120mph?! Wouldn't want it unrestricted allowing Ito be driven at 125mph max now would we lol!

I hold my reservations until I see it but would never buy the 1.8. Unless they release 250bhp, I'm not sure I'll bother really

peterzs
20-10-12, 10:22 AM
Wish it well but think its a pity they couldnt get the 2.0L ready in time.

Smokey
20-10-12, 11:15 AM
I agree! What is the point in a BTCC inspired look with less power than your average diesel?!

Jay-ZS+
20-10-12, 11:38 AM
Best of luck to it, but tbh I'm thinking sheep in wolfs clothing.

Dont think they will have even pulled that off, will be just another sheep. :yawn:

petet16
20-10-12, 11:46 AM
Dont think they will have even pulled that off, will be just another sheep. :yawn:

Yeah, they are in desperate need of a bigger range of cars with better engine options

Quadcam24
20-10-12, 11:46 AM
so its got nothing added to it at all that would actually make it any quicker or more capable....come on mg this sucks.
We want an lsd, brembos, tuned suspension and another 100 bhp.

Maxxed_Ross
20-10-12, 11:47 AM
I agree! What is the point in a BTCC inspired look with less power than your average diesel?!

exactly, my 2006 1.9 Astra makes 210bhp for goodness sake... I'm amazed the power is still so low from a TURBO :yucky:

They've got about the engines totally the wrong way here. Small engines might be desirable in Asia but not here

Squeaks
21-10-12, 07:48 AM
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394990_10151191122132910_1132030953_n.jpg

pic from MG's FB

Smokey
21-10-12, 08:22 AM
Seriously.... BTCC....??

welshone
21-10-12, 09:07 AM
That's got to be a joke surely. In what way is it BTCC inspired ???????

Noobrider
21-10-12, 10:01 AM
The 1.8 K series VVC produced 160 bhp without a turbo....???

peterzs
21-10-12, 10:14 AM
Well if thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesnt exactly hit you in the eye.

What an opportunity they have lost.

Smokey
21-10-12, 10:22 AM
MY ZS track car has more BTCC inspiration than that boring rubbish! Probably the difference between a real BTCC fans car and some stuck up 'suits' perception of what we want!

petet16
21-10-12, 10:32 AM
Is that it ?, barely even qualifies as wolfs clothing:yawn:

WalkerDnB
21-10-12, 10:53 AM
Was there any point in covering the car over for the unveiling?
I doubt anyone would of noticed lol

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb147/walker1988/175419_10151191112757910_569287649_o_zps07265fd9.j pg

petet16
21-10-12, 10:56 AM
Slightly ot, I notice on ebay there are a fleet of 6s being sold by carshopmegastore in Northampton, I think they're ex rentals as they all have between 12 & 15k miles and are priced around £10k.

WalkerDnB
21-10-12, 11:24 AM
Youd be much better off buying a year old 1.8t and spending the rest of the money on making it fast lol

Maxxed_Ross
21-10-12, 11:41 AM
at least when 888 launched the Astra tribute car it had a similar bodykit, the right wheels and almost the right rear wing!

That thing is pathetic

stamford
21-10-12, 01:28 PM
Oh dear, you would get more BTCC if you crashed head on into Halfords! :laugh: a much lost opportunity there.

Jay-ZS+
21-10-12, 05:28 PM
Is that it ?, barely even qualifies as wolfs clothing:yawn:

I love it when my premonitions come true.:icecream:
If only I could do the lotto numbers in the same way.

Maxxed_Ross
21-10-12, 05:36 PM
well we all know how ropey MG marketing has been since the take over... so not that supprising really

Southside_ZS
22-10-12, 12:05 PM
They should of just given a handful 6's to 888 and let them work their magic instead of this half hearted attempt. It's annoying really as china already has a sporty version of the 6 with a body kit and bigger wheels. How hard could it be for MG UK to make a phone call to china and ask for a few of the kits to be shipped over here.

Hardly surprising really though considering MG UK have made over £4million loss this year.

Alan.F
22-10-12, 01:15 PM
MG is dead and buried for sure after that pile of crap

Captain Peanut
22-10-12, 02:01 PM
So its a standard MG6 GT with some decals.

P1ss poor effort in my opinion.

ZS Phil
22-10-12, 05:09 PM
They should of just given a handful 6's to 888 and let them work their magic instead of this half hearted attempt. It's annoying really as china already has a sporty version of the 6 with a body kit and bigger wheels. How hard could it be for MG UK to make a phone call to china and ask for a few of the kits to be shipped over here.

Hardly surprising really though considering MG UK have made over £4million loss this year.

Better than the 20 million a month loss when they were making our cars :)

Maxxed_Ross
22-10-12, 05:27 PM
MG were still making money - ok not much, it was Rover that sunk the ship!

Dan1971
22-10-12, 07:21 PM
Don't get why you're all slaughtering it to be honest.

All I can see is a front on pic of a white car with some black detailing and a badge. How many of you have got X power stickers on your standard ZS ?

If they are trying to rev it up a little and appeal to the slightly younger generation with some decals and black wheels and a bodykit - what's the problem ? ..... They aren't claiming anything that it isn't. Granted - maybe it's an opportunity perhaps that has been lost - but so what ..... :confused:

Dan1971
22-10-12, 07:26 PM
Seriously - what is wrong with this -

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/MG6BTCC.jpg

welshone
22-10-12, 07:39 PM
That's beefier then the pic of the white one but still no way BTCC inspired.

Southside_ZS
22-10-12, 08:11 PM
That's beefier then the pic of the white one but still no way BTCC inspired.

Thats the Chinese spec one that we should of had over here.

Im not slating the 6 but that is a serious let down. MG could of done so much more. If they had of built a tamed down version of the BTCC car like China have then i'd of seriously considered one.

AdDaMan
22-10-12, 08:45 PM
i was there watching this get unveiled. Was proper **** lol.

mattie007
22-10-12, 10:03 PM
Seriously - what is wrong with this -

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/MG6BTCC.jpg

Thats what I was expecting to be released over here. The UK spec version doesnt even have a the bodykit. I suppose they are trying but it just feels like not much effort is being put in.
Like I said on .org, maybe this is a warm up to a hot 888 version :)

Maxxed_Ross
23-10-12, 05:24 AM
no it's just another poor effort like their stickered up "btcc replica" every other team has a car with the right body kit, right bucket seats and a roll cage... what do MG have? A totally standard MG6 with tiny black wheels and some stickers. Come on it's not even got a rear wing!

Someone posted pictures of the Rowe 550 (I think it was) just before the 6 was launched here and it looked fantastic... then the 6 was such a let down. I spoke to MG at MG live the year it was launched (when Dreadnought were sponsored by MG) and they were pointing out all the bits that would be changed from the Chineese spec car at the show (bigger wheels, lower stance, rear wing and higher quality interior plastics) - then what do you know, nothing changed.

peterzs
23-10-12, 09:40 AM
You do get the feeling that UK sales arnt all that important. Think they wanted the name for the Racing Heritage and the past history of MG. Sounds like the sales figures for China are doing OK, so it must be working.

888 engineering must be a great crowd, to take the car out of the box and getting it up among the winners from its first outing.

Sure Plato played his part in grabbing it by the neck and driving its tyres off.

Certainly made the BTCC more interesting with the MG and Plato, know some dont rate Neate, but maybe the money he brought to the table helped some of it happen.

POMPSKI
23-10-12, 10:19 AM
Just posted by Browns & Gammon on FB.

Apart from the back I quite like it tbh, yes it has hardly been touched, but I still find it pretty nice...
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/pompistic/523542_454492277930735_790588644_n.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/pompistic/389434_454492237930739_914707239_n.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/pompistic/546977_454492304597399_2003568402_n.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/pompistic/534465_454492321264064_130221653_n.jpg

"Every BTCC Special Edition will also have Racing black gloss sills, door mirror covers, lower front air dam and rear spoiler."

supercover
26-10-12, 07:36 PM
You do get the feeling that UK sales arnt all that important. Think they wanted the name for the Racing Heritage and the past history of MG. Sounds like the sales figures for China are doing OK, so it must be working.

888 engineering must be a great crowd, to take the car out of the box and getting it up among the winners from its first outing.

Sure Plato played his part in grabbing it by the neck and driving its tyres off.

Certainly made the BTCC more interesting with the MG and Plato, know some dont rate Neate, but maybe the money he brought to the table helped some of it happen.

The UK is of no importance to MG at the moment.
Also, the only thing MG UK gave to 888 was a pair of ex development LHD shells they had hanging about at Longbridge, and a small lump of cash. Everything else in the car is BTCC spec kit used by all the other teams running an NGTC car. It does show that 888 are the best car developers out there and have one of the best drivers to get that of a newly developed pile of parts that are virtually the same as every one elses.